Dog poo (on Ondine rd)

halicon

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/environment/AnimalWelfare/dogfouling.html

What can we all do about dog fouling?

Report it!

Please report any dog fouling incidents to us by filling in a street cleaning request or calling 020 7525 5777 020 7525 5777 .

What does Southwark Council do about dog fouling?

Cleaning and removal

We receive approximately 50 complaints about dog fouling each month. We aim to clean and remove dog fouling within 4 hours of it being reported to us. A dedicated clinical waste vehicle is used for this service.

halicon you have my sympathy - we have the same problem on Ivydale Road, right outside Ivydale School - it is almost as if someone is deliberately bringing their dog to foul the pavement there each night (or early morning). As fast as it gets cleaned up there is another lot there, and almost every day I see some poor child and parent having to deal with the consequences.

If only we could have more Community Officers out to catch these people (I know it is impossible, but they so deserve to have a hefty fine for being so irresponsible).

As a dog owner myself I really hate these people that give all of us a bad name.

Molly

jollyrogers - is it possible to have some of those painted warnings sprayed onto the pavements reminding people about the fine etc? How can I make it happen?

jollyrogers Wrote:

> What does Southwark Council do about dog fouling?

>

> Cleaning and removal

> We receive approximately 50 complaints about dog

> fouling each month. We aim to clean and remove dog

> fouling within 4 hours of it being reported to us.

> A dedicated clinical waste vehicle is used for

> this service.

the library end of lordship lane seems to have been terrible lately, always used to be sooooooo clean but lately its everywhere, was wondering if change in weather and instead of going to the park the inconsiderate dogs owners that are not clearing up after their animals are just letting them do it on the way to the shops etc.

Ring 7525 2000 and ask them to spray 'Bag it and bin it' signs. If you explain that a school is nearby, it might make them act more quickly. Ask them to respray them every six months so you don;t ahve to keep chasing it up.

I walk along Ondine everyday, and their seems to be a new 'addition' on the pavement (on the same side of the road) everyday. I reckon its the same dog walker, walking the same route with their dog. Its shameful really. I love dogs but am finding it really frustrating having to navigate all these dog poo landmines on my way to work. Its even worse coming home as now its dark you cant see what youre stepping in.

I think we need some kind of neighbourhood watch group for irrisponsible dog owners or something.

D

• 2 weeks later...

What can you do about it? First & easiest is to teach your daughter to look where she's walking. Then, report it to the local council.

If, as someone suggests, it's an old girl who can't bend over and pick it up, can't someone help her out? Good deed for the day etc. We all need company.

It is really annoying though - I was walking along the other day with my son in his buggy and when i got home I realised that the wheels were covered in dog poo. I found myself wiping down the wheels and thinking 'what on earth am i doing?'

PICK UP YOUR DOG'S POO - whoever you are

Talking of dog pooh and I try not to cos I hate dogs with a passion is why is there so much of it about around Goodrich Road, Landcroft Road, Thompson Road etc, that quadrant up that end of Lordship Lane. There is either a dog, or dogs, with serious bowel problems or dog owner, owners, with a pathological hate of the community. Please advise. My hatred of dogs gets greater by the day as a result.

What makes you so sure its dog poo?

And, anyway, who gives a damn...its a bit of poo...its hardly worth getting up in arms about...or starting a thread about.

The council must have more important things to do than clear up poo... Even if every person on this forum thinks its worth doing, there are a million other things that the money for a rapid response poo unit could be used on...

The council should have better things to do than pander to 'East Dulwich Mums'.

What makes you so sure its dog poo?

And, anyway, who gives a damn...its a bit of poo...its hardly worth getting up in arms about...or starting a thread about.

The council must have more important things to do than clear up poo... Even if every person on this forum thinks its worth doing, there are a million other things that the money for a rapid response poo unit could be used on...

The council should have better things to do than pander to 'East Dulwich Mums'.

It's also the foxes pooooo! I was so perplexed by it after getting big ones left in my front garden. I worked it out after a while that it wasn't actually dog poop! Poor doggy owners are getting a bad rap I think, majority do the right thing.

Perhaps the Nappy Lady who is so incensed about this could start a lucrative business selling nappies for dogs? I am inclined to agree with pbateman that this is a bit of a nothing thread. When I was growing up in a nice neighbourhood the odd wonky pavement and dog turd was more or less par for the course. Nowadays such things are the stuff of irate threads on EDF and demands that the council set up flying squads to carry out controlled explosions on suspect deposits!

If your kids come home every day having trodden in and handled dog poo perhaps it would be a good idea to teach them not to walk in the smelly brown stuff?

Each to their own. I'm not 'incensed' about it Domitianus, but I consider myself to be a responsible member of the community....so I clear up after my own dog, try to keep my kids under control (that includes not mowing people down with my obviously oversized - by ED Standards(!!) - buggy), hold doors open for others, report items that are 'dumped' in the borough, or graffiti etc.....I've also been known to 'encourage' the odd teenager to pick up their litter and put it in the bin. I guess I was just brought up this way.

IMO it is not acceptable for dog owners to leave dog poo on pavements. Of course children are taught not to tread in it, but accidents will happen, especially at this time of year with so many leaves on the pavements. It isn't just unpleasant, it is a health hazard, for adults and children alike. This is not about 'pandering to East Dulwich Mums', it is a basic hygiene requirement in a highly populated area. Shouldn't we all be able to walk the pavements whilst enjoying the local trees, architecture and general surroundings, rather than scouring the flagstones for the next dog deposit?

Incidentally, I spent most of my childhood on a farm knee deep in mud (and worse!!), so don't assume I have an obsession with clean sterile environments or thinking my kids can't get dirty, nothing could be further from the truth.

I agree it isn't the most important thread on the forum, but isn't the idea of a community forum that ANY issues in the community can be discussed, however minor they may be? I'm sure it is relevant and important to some (and as far as I know you are not obliged to read a thread that holds no personal interest to you).

Molly

The Nappy Lady Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Each to their own. I'm not 'incensed' about it

> Domitianus, but I consider myself to be a

> responsible member of the community....so I clear

> up after my own dog, etc etc

And I think this is pitched about right. A neighbour of my parents used to walk two hundred yards down the street so his dog could crap outside their house on the verge and my kids kept stepping in it when I parked there. A gentle observation to him and he stopped.

I live on Melford Road, where this was a problem maybe a year ago. The council posted notices and painted the signs on the pavement and it got much better, an option which readers of this thread are now aware of.

Not the end of the world no, but if it becomes frequent the cumulative effect is significant.

The Nappy Lady Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ......or if you're not that bothered about it let

> me know where you live and I will send the dog

> round to your gaff next time she needs to 'go'!!!

>

> :-)))

....And then the point was ruined, the topic subdued, shame.