dulwich hamlet fc

puzzled

Not the first time this has happened - the last time they tried to turn the ground into a Homebase. That time Greendale was ruled out as an alternate location for football ground and it was concluded that the level of congestion created by a further development would be too great for the area to sustain. Interesting that the South London Press mentions planning permission granted in 2005. This is news to me as never been consulted about a planning request and would expect to be, together with number of other residents on St Francis estate.

There's more info in the article here:

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/News.cfm?id=42266&headline=Dulwich%20Hamlet%20FC's%20ground%20'for%20sale'

I thought that when this came up before, the Homebase was refused and it seemed to be the case that anyone wanting planning permission for anything other than a football ground / sports facilities would have difficulty getting it through. Perhaps things have changed?

Ive just read this article.

This is an outrage! Ive enjoyed going to the games at Dulwich Hamlet since we moved here a year ago. The football ground is an important part of the local history.

I'm not suprised that the owner wants to sell out to property developers and make a killing.

Im afraid it also includes the gym of which im a member.

This is not good!!

Selling the ground for redevelopment, has indeed, been tried before. I very much doubt that there is planning permission for anything on this site, whatever the SLP states. As Ipool points out, there would undoubtedly have been consultatation with local residents (as in the past). Also, although I'm not sure exactly who owns the land off Greendale - they didn't want the football club there last time so it seems unlikely they'll want it there now...

The greendale land is owned by Southwark Council and leased to the football club. The lease is up for renewal and the council are looking for alternative options according to a recent newsletter.

I can't see them allowing building on the site. It appears they want it kept as a nature conservation site which would prevent development.

https://ldfconsultation.southwark.gov.uk/inovem/consult.ti/corestrategypo/viewCompoundDoc?docid=240724&partid=245108

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/FILE_44285.pdf

Hi all

Bad news indeed. I hope it's just a baseless rumour. Ideally I'd like to see the council purchase it, allow dhfc to stay, and develop its leisure potential for the community. In my view we need another big store (of any kind) like we need a hole in the head. I will support any campaign to keep dhfc here.

I have spoken to my local councilor on this issue and here was his response to this guys proposed plan to sell:

'Due to complicated planning rules the site is on Metropolitan Open Land. It would be extraordinary if any developer were to buy this land, even if it was for sale, as the MOL status would make it very long winded to convert to non MOL. Such a status change would be contrary to all Southwark Council strategic planning document, London Plan. It would have to get past planning committee, if they appealed after being refused a planning inspector. It would then go to the secretary of state.

That would take 2-3 years AFTER any application was made'

I must say that this greatly re-assured me.