new cycle access consultation

Hi - there is a consultation in progress re ,amongst other improvements to area,introducing a cycle contra flow along the part of Rye Lane that passes between Boots and Smiths.

Feel concerned that this won't be safe for either pedestrains or cyclists.

The pavements and road in this part of Rye Lane are very congested and have heavy useage by bendy buses.

Also concerned that if this is a consultation ,it should have wider publicity .

Understand discussed at Community Council but when I tried to collect consultation leaflet from Peckham library ,they had none and knew nothing about it.

Closing date for comments is 17 Nov .

I have consultation doc but the file is too large to attach here.

This contraflow already occurs unofficially so it seems right to legitimise it - the alternative for people is to go left up by Lidl to get to ED - and hardly anyone does.

A clearly marked lane would be a good thing. The pedestrians down there are a little lemming-like though. Barriers would be one solution but then you really would have a danger of cyclists being crushed.

Mmm - I can see this from both sides as I cycle ( and I choose to by pass this stretch and go up Bellenden ,past Lidls ) but my elderly ,visually impaired mum frequently uses this stretch of Rye Lane to access Morrisions and Smiths and I think that increasing the flow of cyclists will seriously hamper her and other pedestrians ( and I think that the lemming like quality alluded to is a result of large numbers using a confined space )

I understand that there is a view that if this already happens ( which I realise it does ) that it should be legitimised - but I'm not sure I agree with it in this case.

Who knows what the large number of pedestrians who use this road think , I do feel a broader consultation could have been attempted.

MMm - from a pedestrian's POV down there :

1) There are tons of buses to hide behind hence it's treacherous for all concerned.

2) they tend to only look out for buses, as that's all they expect to be coming down there. A different coloured section of road would be a good idea - like they have in Royal parks etc.

I imagine there are a lot of near-misses down there, I've had near-misses with other cyclists even.

Going up past Lidl dumps you in the annoying Bellenden one-way system so you're never going to encourage that route as an alternative for the majority..

Contraflow systems + highly pedestrianised areas don't mix well in my experience. It's so narrow and busy at that end of Rye Lane anyway, it's hard to see how the lane would fit.

An alternative (for those who actually belive in obeying the highway code) is always to hop off your bicycle at wheel it the 50m or so before jumping back on and continuing down Rye Lane

GregI Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> An alternative (for those who actually belive in

> obeying the highway code) is always to hop off

> your bicycle at wheel it the 50m or so before

> jumping back on and continuing down Rye Lane

People don't even take notice of the lights down there, so that may be a tall order.

There might be a way of eating some of the pavement space for a dedicated lane down there, it's already at a premium in Peckham though.

Well it's only a very short section of Bellenden that's one way - safer I'd have thought to introduce a contra flow down there than in the proposed section of Rye Lane .

And as I ,and most other cyclists I see ,use it informally as a contra flow then I imagine Southwark will soon "formalise " it .

In fact I thought they were planning to do so.

Don't think reducing pavement space in Rye Lane would be feasible.

Re pedestrians, I think the main issue is that they just wouldn't expect to need to look for 'traffic' from the other direction so can imagine some potentially awful human/bike collisions. Would take a long time for everyone to adjust to it and remember to look both ways.

Hubby and I both get off and walk that bit when cycling.

Molly

Well as time is short - comments in by 17 Nov - and as name and phone number have already been in SLP , if anyone feels that they would like to have their view considered -

the contact details for person dealing with this is

Clement Aygei-Frempong 0207 525 2305 ( which is a direct line )

Clement.Aygei-Frempong

or I guess I could email him with a link to this thread ?

No. It is confusing and will serve to legitimise the idea of cycling on pavements/against the flow of traffic. Rye Lane needs proper traffic management all through the day. Too may cars and vans and lorries park illegally.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well as time is short - comments in by 17 Nov -

> and as name and phone number have already been in

> SLP , if anyone feels that they would like to have

> their view considered -

> the contact details for person dealing with this

> is

> Clement Aygei-Frempong 0207 525 2305 ( which is

> a direct line )

> Clement.Aygei-Frempong

> or I guess I could email him with a link to this

> thread ?

yes definitely do this asap.

Thanks for encouragement Eileen ,wasn't sure if it would be appropriate !

I really am concerned about this - apart from what I feel is the unsuitability of making this stretch a contra flow for cyclists ,I think the impact on the junction of Rye Lane and Hanover Park ( by Primarks ) is also going to be very tricky.

The proposals talk about cyclists" coming from Peckham High St " ( presumably via the contra flow ) being able "to safely exit this stretch of Rye Lane into Hanover Park under traffic Signal control " .

Helpful ,possibly ,but most will want to carry on up Rye Lane and there is no mention of how this will work . Phased lighting just for bikes ? At the moment no traffic comes across this junction up Rye Lane so it's going to be a major shift to re educate everyone.

Feel anxious that with number of pedestrians at this junction and with bendy buses turning right from Hanover Park into Rye Lane things will go wrong...

My other concern is that Southwark really haven't thought this through ,but that they will go ahead with the proposals because a rethink would cause a delay .They can't risk a delay or they will loose their funding .

I've already been told ,when querying extent of consultation over this,that the deadline for comments can't be extended for that reason i.e. a delay would jepordise funding.

My natural reaction is to assume that the powers that be know what they're doing ,but I'm mindful of the debacle that was the rising bollards in exactly the same spot and wonder if this was a result of a similar need to rush things through .

Thanks for posting consultation doc Greg.

Mellors ,I don't use this route during rush hour ( when cycling ) so perhaps have different view .

Maybe during the rush hour there is not quite the crush of pedestrians ,shopping etc as there is at other times.

Also ,assume that with contra flow bikes will be travelling in both directions along this stretch ,will there be 2 bike lanes then ?

Anyone know ?

In the morning (8am ish) its not too bad for pedestrians as the shops haven't opened yet.

Its a nightmare crush in the evening though (6pm ish) (when cycling back towards ED, so woud be using the contraflow). I'm hoping that opening out the lights which go across to the Pulse, designating the contraflow cycling lane and having a bike light at the end of the section might make things safer.

They seem to be doing works there anyway at the moment (which is squashing everyone in even more). I wonder what it is?