Traffic Incident - Rye lane/E Dulwich Road (November 12)

Oi! Don't make useless comments like that till you know what happened.

It may have been someone stepping out into the road on their mobile without warning to anyone.

You Don't Know. Standard of pedestrians need a lot of thought too.

Sandperson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not surpising with the standard of driving around.

> I counted five cars going over a zebra crossing

> this morning while some poor bloke waited

> patiently for someone to let him cross. That and

> the red/maber light jumpers and you've got a

> recipe for disaster.

Pedestrians have right of way on zebra crossings!

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> Oi! Don't make useless comments like that till you

> know what happened.

> It may have been someone stepping out into the

> road on their mobile without warning to anyone.

> You Don't Know. Standard of pedestrians need a lot

> of thought too.

>

> Sandperson Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Not surpising with the standard of driving

> around.

> > I counted five cars going over a zebra crossing

> > this morning while some poor bloke waited

> > patiently for someone to let him cross. That

> and

> > the red/maber light jumpers and you've got a

> > recipe for disaster.

Traffic was still horrendous at 6.30 - particularly if you're trying to get on a bus near Peckham Rye station. I ended up jumping on the backdoor of a 363 but it's taken me an hour to get back up towards the Horniman. If I hadn't had my work heels on, I could (and would) have walked it faster!

My husband beat all the buses by walking from Peckham Rye station up the route of the 63/12 at 6pm because it was still so bad. The police appear to have been measuring up for evidence but did say that no one had lost their life.

as a fellow cyclist, I agree with Sandperson. Both my hands are not enough to count how many drivers jump red lights in 45 mins that I am on my bike.

Whatever happened there I hope that the person makes it, the policeman said its touch and go.

Jitka H Wrote:

> as a fellow cyclist, I agree with Sandperson. Both

> my hands are not enough to count how many drivers

> jump red lights in 45 mins that I am on my bike.

> Whatever happened there I hope that the person

> makes it, the policeman said its touch and go.

Whilst I agree with you, as I am a cyclist also, the amount of cyclists who jump the red lights is without question higher than car drivers.

Cyclists can kill pedestrians as well, they need to realise the law on red lights applies to them too.

Am glad no one was killed. Was in the area at 6.30 last night and all the roads where still closed and traffic was a blooming nightmare.

I agree with that, my job means I drive around London quite a bit and the amount of times I've had to avoid cyclist running red lights in front of me, and they seemed surprised that a car is comming at them from the green light direction.

Also why do some people cycle at night wearing dark clothing and with no lights? I almost clipped some idiot on a bike on the Elephant and Castle roundabout the other night, in the pouring rain, no lights, black clothing, in the middle of the lanes of traffic, it was only because I always check over my shoulders when turning/changing lanes that I saw them, but only at the last minute when I saw a flash of movement. By all means cycle if you wish but give yourself a fighting chance.

I don't jump red lights and I have plenty of cyclists around me at red lights waiting for them to turn green....usually just so we can be cut off by motorcyclists and scooterists. There's an element of red light jumpers, and I don't like it one bit, but you are less likely to kill someone jumping a light on a bike than in a car. Don't tar me with the same brush as the numpties.

Sorry, don't mean to lump all cyclist into the numptie basket, I do see plenty of cyclist every day who are sensible but of course it's the idiot things you see that stick in your mind. From what I see on a daily basis is not the cyclist who run red lights endangering pedestrians, but rather themselves as they weave in and out of the traffic crossing the intersection, and it scares the life out of you when one shoots through a red light in front of you, sure they have little chance of killing anyone except for themselves but it's still not fair on the poor sod who runs them over.

Anyway sorry for hijacking the thread, and yes there are plenty of idiots in cars out there too who don't check their blind spots for cyclist, run lights, etc too.

Hi,

The problem with this incident was that TFL incorrectly managed the situation. Why have busses parked up when they can quite clearly re-route and continue the journey, and why not stop and divert all through traffic at outer junctions such as Lordship Lane. Is it to simple?

Quite clearly common sense does not come into the equasion, or is it just another ploy to keep motorists off the road.

I had schoolchildren asking me how to get to Bermondsey as the bus had terminated, young children having to walk a few miles in the dark? The comment from the authorities would be 'We will learn from our mistakes' if any of the children had come to harm.

Its so sad in this current era that common sense does not prevail.

Kind regards,

Libra Carr.

ok the cyclist discussion. I don't jump red lights and as a cyclist, did almost get knocked over by a cyclist going through red when I was actually walking across a zebra crossing. He was going v. fast!

I agree, there are good and bad but all people should obide the rules!

That would be a perfect world.

Yesterday, I very nearly, by few inches, got missed by a speeding car jumping red light, scared the life out of me!

Anyway, I hope the injured person is ok now.