Residents Parking - Where God Art Thou

I live in Tulse Hill - be very very VERY thankful you do not have residents parking. That'll be ?115 a year please and you still won't be able to park anywhere near your house.

Resident parking will kill the shopping area. Be grateful you have so many facilities people want to use!!

Rach

The big problem with residents parking is they allow pay and display so everyone still parks there but pays to do it.

And when you want workmen to come in, you need to pay their parking costs.

We live just off Lordship Lane but don't like the idea of residents parking as we'd get no advantage from it and parking would still be as bad.

The only place you'd want resident parking is if you lived near a busy tube or train station and had commuters driving in, parking in your street then taking public transport into London. I don't think that this is the main problem with parking in ED (certainly not where we are). The main problem around here seems to be shop workers and estate agents parking people parking cars and going to the shops.

Maybe I'm wrong... Does anyone think that there's a lot of commuters parking in ED and getting the train?

Sympathies, It drives me mad too!

On our street it isn't just people visiting the shops etc that cause the parking problem,

We are surrounded by about 4 different Estate Agents who all have cars and park on our street, it's ridiculous!

Can anyone suggest how to improve parking for local residents?????

Residents parking? Money making scheme for the council and a complete pain in the arse for residents. Used to live in grenwich, cost me 100 or so quid a year. Everytime gf came round had to give her a ?3 temporary pass. Only way of getting the passes was to send off for them from the council! The whole system drove me mad.

Commuters coming to east dulwich to park does also make me mad however. When I used to live on LL it also drove me mad when I couldn't park near house due to all the shoppers.

The long term solution is to improve this city's disgraceful public transport system so that people dont feel the need to drive, or to persuade people to ditch their car for a bike, like I have done.

One last thing, people who drive to ED to get a train in the morning... where the bloody hell do they live for that to be a viable option? It 'd be quicker walking anywhere during the rush hour.

thelittlebigvoice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am getting so p******d off by the fact I cannot

> park anywhere near my house any longer, due mainly

> to the fact so many cars from outside the area are

> parking up then catching busses into town - as its

> free.

> Please can we have residents parking !!!

Littlebigvoice - which street are you in?

It all depends on micro local circumstance whether it helps or not - what the details of the problem are - eg when the cars are there, how long for usually, and where they are comign from for what local purpose. In our street for example we are more likely to find no spaces in the evening (never been able to work out why!) when residents' parking controls would not help one bit. In other streets excessive long day commuter parking can be disrupted eg by a control of half an hour in the middle of the day.

I live just by Croydon arena and I can never park outside my house, because of the vast popularity of the arena with the local schools and sports Clubs, I get annoyed but I have learnt to live with it. My philosophy is that no matter what, when you travel into another area, you are going to park outside someones house and annoy them. Residents parking will ruin the USPs of East Dulwich.

Definetly not worth it, I lived in Islington for a year and had to pay over 100 quid for a permit but still spent up to half an hour driving around the streets trying to find a park, often ending up quite a few blocks away from my flat. I find in East Dulwich I usually find a park either on my road or just around the corner and it's free.

Afraid that I'm going to completely disgree with most of the above. We are now part of the residents parking zone in Peckham. (Previously the first street with free parking to Peckham Rye station). With a small child I used to always have a buggy in the car and make sure that all refridgerated and freezer goods were seperate so that i could leave the rest of the shoppinjg till other half came home and moved it 2-5 streets depending on how far away I'd managed to park the car). The streets surrounding us declined residents parking and now parking on our street is really easy - never more than 10 motres from our home. So yes, easy money for the council(though most coucils make parking control revenue neutral despite what their critics claim!!!). We were warned previously but went along to consultation with our neighbours and were fully listened to and our own comments were completely listened to. generally really impressed. I think ?100 a year is good value (especially as a peckham resiident we also get to park near the pulse when their parking full with no risk of tickets!). Good luck though. Most people we know were massively sceptical/negative. Ones on our street changed their minds once it was in. Sorry to burst everyone elses bubble, but on our street - this is one the best things that has happened in terms of inconvenience and quality of life for us...

For thoses sceptical about shoppers etc another suggestion would be put a two hour parking limit on ie 12-2, 11-1 etc. If residents have a permit they can park all day and those that use parking for trains/commuting won't be able to. Shoppers, once familiar with restrictions won't be affected as they will be able to aviod the times that restrictiosn apply. Thsi is used in Greenwich to prevent comuters for trains etc

JDR Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Afraid that I'm going to completely disgree with

> most of the above. We are now part of the

> residents parking zone in Peckham. (Previously

> the first street with free parking to Peckham Rye

> station).

Hi JDR - sounds like we are in the same part of the Peckham area - west side of Rye Lane. I am in Nutbrook St which is 7 streets from Peckham Rye station. We are just on the edge of the CPZ and were worried that the extension to include Anstey Road would clog our street up during the day. But it hasn't. In fact our street is more full of cars in the evenings than the days most of the time. This just shows how the exact location is significant in whether a CPZ will help. So it wouldn?t at the moment in Nutbrook St, but does for you for understandable reasons as you are closer to the epicentre of town and station (can you say which street? - it would be interesting to know how close/distant you are to here). But I agree if visitor car parking really needs to be deterred one good solution is to have a short period of CPZ during the day to deter long term parkers and enable short term shoppers.

Another problem with CPZ is the fact that half if not more of the parking places are allocated to pay and display (Making more money for the council)and still leaving fewer spaces than resident vehicles. As mentioned before visitors add to the councils coffers and some repairs/building work is passed over by workman because of the hassle of the parking restriction and the chance of parking fines.