The guy in the fabric shop

cherryred

HAHAHAHA! Candj thanks for the link to the thread from Clarec, that was perhaps one of the funniest things I have read, all four pages and is definately nominated for favourite forum moment since I have been on here!! Sometimes people say type the funniest things!!

hugs

Ps. never brought Fabric there in my life but now I am tempted out of curiosity.

I've just been reading through both threads and have been nearly crying with disbelief and laughter! So it would seem that anyone having blinds/curtains made is treated with courtsey and respect but anyone wanting the little bits and bobs gets a hard time. Such a shame as it's local business which I'd rather support, but I refuse to be treated and spoken to so badly when I've done nothing wrong. What are the alternative? I do a lot of dress making etc and find fabric shops harder and harder to come by.

Went there recently, he was stood outside smoking when I got there. I was after a zip, was told to look in a draw, while he stayed and finished off his fag.

After a few minutes he came back in, asked if I found what I was after.

I was gonna say that I couldn't get the whole of the draw out, but I only got to -No, I can't......,when he said -Well if it's not there I aint got it love.

He helped me to get the draw out, I found the zip and paid. Before I even turned to leave he'd sat down and started playing computer games. Very professional.

And after all this, it turned out to be the wrong zip. :)

#East is east and West is west, and the wrong one I have chose

something something dum de dum, you're all mine in buttons and bows

I love you in Springtime and dee dah dah day duuum

But I'd love you longer, stronger where the guys don't tote a guuun#

Thanks Bob Hope.

Anyway, old matey-boy in the shop is perhaps MASSIVELY conflicted.

He's running a Notions shop. HE is a purveyor of ribbons and bibbons and what's more he knows it, and it may be gnawing at his machismo.

Selling fabrics may have dinged his amour propre to the extent he can barely walk upright.

Well, you never know, it may've.

I heard how rude he was from others but he was incredibly nice to me, ordered samples from design guild for me to take away, and then after loads of dithering when I told him I had to put it all on hold because uphosterers said my chairs weren't worth it, he was totally unphased and OK about it. How peculiar.

Yes i agree went in last week ,he was being very rude to a couple who were unsure about how to go about buying curtains as it was something they had never bought before, he seemed uninterested in their opinions, he then barked at me as i was holding a wet umbrella, i wanted to leave but i was desperate for some trimmings. When it was my turn to be served i explained what i was going to be doing and could he recommend what i would need to buy (re-covering a chair) he said " how do i know what you need, its not me doing it" he then started talking to an elderly lady sitting at the back in a foriegn accent, i then adopted my best cockney accent saying "sort me out mate, just give me some of that there, i'm not worried about the cost i just want to get the job done" to which he replied, " no that is too expensive for what you need it for " and gave me a much cheaper product which has indeed done the job. He then said a very kind goodbye, but i will not go in there again. How bizzare! It was as if felt inferior by a posh accent.

ruffers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> philip walker Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I might go in for a rummage just for a laugh.

>

>

> We could organise a schedule, every 15 minutes or

> so ALL DAY one of us goes in to rummage.

>

> He'd be in pieces.

OH I'm up for that!! ruffers/philip walker you are a pair of devils!! (In a nice way). Oh we should do it... ha ha ha ha ha

*pisses herself laughing*

helena handbasket Wrote:

> Doesn't everyone?

>

> Then again, I've yet to come across anyone in ED

> with a truly intimidating posh accent.

That dyed ash blonde woman with the ticking-stripe padded gilet, rugby shirt, Wrangler denims and Hunter wellingtons asking the minimum wage Saturday girl in Somerfield whether the eggs she was buying were absolutely guaranteed free-range in that nasal honk that is supposed to indicate confidence and signify intelligence but is really just the dreariest form of quackfart came close that time in July this year.

But she's probably the shrillish exception.

Most of the EDers are mildly wellish-spoken, politish people who overuse the word 'like'.

Except of course for the tradespeople.

Sounds obnoxious!

Try the fabric shop on Blenheim Grove by PR station. Really really lovely old lady runs it. Its a bit of a mess but in a good way. Not really bought much in the way of fabric there, just zips, buttons ect but love going there. There is also a fabric shop on Peckham Rye which also does alterations but never been there as love going in the other one so much!

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> helena handbasket Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Doesn't everyone?

> >

> > Then again, I've yet to come across anyone in

> ED

> > with a truly intimidating posh accent.

>

> That dyed ash blonde woman with the ticking-stripe

> padded gilet, rugby shirt, Wrangler denims and

> Hunter wellingtons asking the minimum wage

> Saturday girl in Somerfield whether the eggs she

> was buying were absolutely guaranteed free-range

> in that nasal honk that is supposed to indicate

> confidence and signify intelligence but is really

> just the dreariest form of quackfart came close

> that time in July this year.

>

> But she's probably the shrillish exception.

> Most of the EDers are mildly wellish-spoken,

> politish people who overuse the word 'like'.

> Except of course for the tradespeople.

What do you mean by the tradespeople dahhhlinnn???