Anyone doing marathon training in East Dulwich?

Hillary07

So i'm new to East Dulwich... and I've just (probably foolishly) committed myself to doing the marathon again. Foolish as I did rather disastrously at my effort this year (wall moment, vomit, hysterical sobbing, swearing at supporters... I mean it was bad.) ANyway, I've heard of East Dulwich runners so I shall be heading there next week, but is anyone doing the marathon and has a running group? Or wants to set one up?! Thanks. ;-)

When I did the marathon in 2005 I trained with the Dulwich Park Runners - one of the more experienced runners drew up a great training programme, and as well as running on the standard club nights (Tues and Thurs) I also did my long runs every weekend with a group from the club. Highly recommend them - also meant I did most of the marathon with a running partner who I'd trained with and there were supporters from the club right round the course. And they were waiting at the end with champagne!

Their website is:

http://www.dulwichparkrunners.com/

They usually have quite a large group of runners entered into London, so you'd be in good company.

Good luck, I hope your next marathon experience is more positive :)

Ah, thank you. Yes, I shall try them.

I ran with a chest infection this year as I couldn't let people down. But I'm determined to enjoy it next year and maybe lay off the booze a bit more during the training schedule - the two don't really go well together. Still it was a very awful, but funny experience and I managed to raise a small amount for Breakthrough Breast Cancer. Next year I'm running for Clic Sargent.

Anyway, thanks again!

"wall moment, vomit, hysterical sobbing, swearing at supporters"

I hear that.

There's good "long-run" potential round these parts too. The basis of my training was to run between and around the various parks hereabouts (Dulwich, Brockwell, Ruskin, Peckham Rye, Nunhead, Burgess). You can rack up lots of miles and some good hills too. I always tried to hit Burgess last because it's flat.

Hilary I have entered the London Marathon next year so I'll also be training for it from january on. It's my first time so I shall probably check out Dulwich park runners myself. I currently run 3 or 4 10km runs a week and did a half marathon in october. I will really try to kick on in jan and have been considering giving up drink completely until after marathon.

My husband ran with the Dulwich Park runners sometimes too, found it good, and had a celebration for the marathon runners afterwards, for friends and family too, was good fun.

Am impressed that you will be doing it twice! Good luck with the training.

He had to pack in the long distance due to back trouble, some good practice routes, will try to find them out and post them. For some of the long runs we went to Putney (37 bus goes there, takes a while though), he'd run along the river and I'd potter about and ride home with him later.

Have you got a physio? There are quite a few round Dulwich, would probably help your preparation, avoid injury etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm looking for one or more persons who'd like to join me for part of the training for the London Marathon in April 2010.

I'm doing long runs, about 2 hours at slow to medium pace, usually on Saturdays or Sundays. This sometimes gets a bit boring on my own, so I thought company could be motivating and more fun. I'm not really interested in joining one of the running clubs/groups in the area here and would like to keep it on a private-no-money-involved basis.

I did the Berlin Marathon in 2008 and kept running since...

For the long runs I could offer quite a nice route starting at Peckham Rye Common and linking One Tree Hill, Sydenham Hill Wood, Crystal Palace Park and Dulwich Park (roughly 20 km or longer if wanted). I'm open for other suggestions though.

I also do runs around Peckham Rye on most weekday evenings and do a bit of speed training once a week in Peckham Rye Park (300m uphill, 800 m laps or 1 to 3 k fast).

Anyone interested in joining?

Ebe

Hi,

I'm a member of Dulwich Park Runners, so warmly praised here, which is nice to hear! I along with several other club members are tackling the 2010 VLM, so there will be a few training groups kicking into gear post Xmas, so do pop along and see if you like what you find.

DAVY - Ditch the beers, it reaps huge rewards! I'v been off it since September now and have shed 10lbs, whcih has helped the running enormously in terms of speed and endurance. At the statge no of which I prefer, the better running or the beer. Running is winning I have to say! Not to say there will not be a drop or two on my lips come the finish of London in April.

If anyone does fancy coiming long then please look out for me to say hello (I usually make an announcment of some sort on the club nights) always ghood to meet new runners.

Regards

Eric

Howdy,

I am also a member of Dulwich Park Runners, having joined in April (although shamefully haven't been for a few months due to mid-week work committments out of London). Lovely bunch of people varying running abilities.

I didn't get into London (again!) but am running Paris on the 11th April so will be joining DPR's training runs in the new year. I would also vouch for the tee-total approach, not only for losing weight to amke the whole running experience a little bit easier, but also to enable a clear head for those weekend morning runs...not giving up till after xmas though.

Anna.