Southern Gas Networks works on Barry Road

Hi has anyone got experience of the above? Works are due to start on my stretch of Barry Road later this week/ mid-next week and the foreman has advised that they may have to dig up my drive/ porch/ hall floor to install the new piping and install a box. He has said that they will restore the property to its former state but given the closeness to Christmas is this really feasible? Any advice and experiences gratefully received - thanks.

Our stretch of Upland Road was dug up over a year ago, and we received very similar notifications - in the end all that happened was that the footpath directly outside our property was dug up, and they needed access to the house once the work was complete to run tests on our gas appliances. Much less stress than anticipated! I didn't notice a single property near us having their front garden dug up, so I think it's quite uncommon.

Thanks Pickle. I was advised by the foreman that they would need to dig up properties where there are currently 'bends' in the pipework and he did say that as the outlet outside my house wasn't in line with the meter he thought that this would be the case here - perhaps the guy was giving me the worst case scenario - here's hoping. Don't fancy having to co-ordinate people over Christmas to repair floors etc.

We're in Barry Road and our flat is going to be done this week, they're replacing the gas mains and feed lines into each flat/house with plastic pipes.

It seems that if you're in a house (ie one dwelling, not split into flats) they are just running a new flexible pipe inside the current gas pipe and into the house with minimal disturbance.

If you (like us) are a flat they are moving the gas meter out the front and running new gas lines up the outside of the building and into each flat separately, which isn't the nicest look.

They did my place a few years ago and left me without gas heating and hot water over Christmas and had my 2 sisters and brother plus two spouses and 2 daughters.

Yes a very cosy all in one room sort of Christmas, the whole house was freezing cold, inspite of global warming.

Hope you have better luck with them than I did.

Is this happening to the whole of Barry Road? I noticed they had closed the pavement off just up the road from my house, and that it was heading down the road.

How long do they take to complete this work - i.e how long will the pavement be dug up for??

Cheers

Work seems to be necessary if you don't have the gas meter outside.

They had troulble with a property ( large house divided into flats ) in middle of Barry Rd.

Were working until 10 .30 pm to sort it ,they had worked until 10 night before.

Think they do very best they can not to leave you without gas.

Steve T 's horrific experience surely an exception...

They did send a letter notifying of work and it had a number to call for more info - I gave mine to my neighbour who hadn't kept his ( it did look like a circular ) ,so afraid can't quote nos to phone.

I think the main reason for the work is that the current gas main and feeds into the properties is starting to rot quite a bit, the guy I talked to said they lines were probably put in when the road was originally built, he pointed out the corrosion on the pipes outside our flat so I guess it's good they're doing it. They seem to be taking the chance to move the meters outside at the same time.

He also said they had run into far more properties divided into flats than they anticipated, which is slowing things down quite a bit.

Oh and yes, they're trying to work it so that each property is only without gas for a day at most as far as I have been told, our is off now so I hope it is only for the day....

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Work seems to be necessary if you don't have the

> gas meter outside.

Seems to be true in our case, we are 4 flats with the gas meters outside and they only dug up the pavement - no need to get into the building. We were without gas for one day and the hole in the pavement was there for 6 days. Could be worse.

got a nice shiney copper pipe going up the front of our property no insulation around the pipe (now that would not be nice return home from work and find sombody yanked you pipe for a few quid) the work men a very messy they drilled through the roof left all the crap on my path same with my neighbour and the hole outside my house has been there for over a week now

Yeah my landlord and the fella downstairs have been having a few debates with them about the placement of the boxes and piping outside, it does not look that nice, they agreed to put the box in a slightly less conspicuous place but still got a bright shiny pipe up the building. Apparently the pipes will be painted black by yet another group of contractors.

BTW Our gas is still off....it's getting cold now :(