Family lived in Landells Road in 1911

JoGo

Hello,

I found my Grandparents living at No 23 Landells Road East Dulwich in 1911, my father was only 3 at this time, they came out to Australia in 1912. Csn anyone tell me if the house that was there then still exists?

My Grandfather was Frederick Samuel HAMMOND a Fishmonger.

Thanking you & Regards,

JoGo

You might be interested to have a look at a floor plan for that type of house:

http://www.bushells.com/resources/16/3827/269/Landells_Road_21.PNG

Although, I've always wondered whether they were built like this. They date from the 1880's and my impression is that at that time a separate kitchen at the back would have been less common than 1 reception 1 kitchen/diner - the classic 2-up 2-down.

Hi JoGo

What a surprise to see! I actually own this house, I have been living here for 15 years.

When we moved in our neighbours at 25 (Ted) had been born in the house, he has since died, so his family probably knew your grand parents.

The house originally had 3 bedrooms (one of the bedrooms now a bathroom), it would have had 2 rooms downstairs with a separate kitchen, which would have been used to wash/bath in. Toilet was outside.

Let me know if you need information

Hello, Blossom,

What a surprise it is for me to find someone who is actually living in this house. I don't know how long the HAMMOND family lived there for, only that they were there in 1911, I am presuming they were there until they left for Australia in 1912, but how many years before this is unknown. I do know they were not living there in 1901. Frederick Samual HAMMOND married Jane SKINNER-FOX on 3 September 1900 at Camberwell Registry Office. My Father was born on 4 October 1908 in Dulwich, so I think he was living there at this time, I will have to get his full birth certificate to make sure.

Thank you all for such a newsy and helpful forum,

JoGo

(Melbourne - Australia)