where is the best local place to view New Year's Eve fireworks?

Tanza

We've got friends coming for New Year's Eve whose kids have expressed an interest in seeing the central London fireworks. Rather than heading into the crush in central London can anyone recommend any local vantage points? I wondered if somewhere near the Horniman might have a good view? Or if there are any local displays happening - Burbage road perhaps??

I agree with PeckhamRoase.

Dawson's Heights open grass area, at the very top, is definately worth a traipse at any time of the year. It's a bit unloved at the moment but even now is one of London's great secret viewing areas.

Would'nt it be great if for London Open House weekend in September views from the top floor of Dawson's Heights could be arranged....

What more would you see? I'm lucky enough to have flown in a small plane around London - now THAT's 'views'!

I don't think the views would be much more than you see already though. And who'd want to open their flats up to people who just want to look out their windows? Well, I would, for a fiver a time. But I don't live at Dalston Heights. In you come! Orderly queue now please!

Why did no-one come and say hello?

I was only a little drunk and I was shouting HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ANY EAST DULWICH FORUM FOLK!! and I was indeed with two people drinking from a flask (mulled wine, with vodka) and no-one came to say hello.

What a fab view, and just after the fireworks finished we had a flurry of snow and then walked home.

And it's half one and I only just woke up.

Back to bed mind....