UFO's over ED

There seemed to be quite a few small balloons powered by naked flames flying over ED just after midnight on January 1st. Does any one know where they were released from?. They looked so much nicer than the overkill of exploding fireworks etc.. I wonder if any regulations eg Air Traffic were being broken? If so - Good on 'em!

I saw them too, there were loads! They started at midnight and were still flying over past 1am

Couldnt work out if they were part of the official South Bank display or not..... think not, im sure they wouldnt have been allowed! I liked them :-)

There were loads being set off from Dawson Heights. Both from people within and the surrounding areas, and people who'd come to watch from the grounds around the Heights from where you can see absolutely everywhere in London from Battersea Power Station round to Canary Wharf. On a clear day I think you can see Blackpool Tower.

There were a number of Chinese Flying Lanterns released from Sternhall Lane in Peckham. The folks in the flat below me were having a New Year's Eve party, and each person attending the party released a lantern, containing their hopes and dreams for 2010!

As you mentioned, somehow these seem more atmospheric and beautiful than a regular fireworks display.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There were loads being set off from Dawson

> Heights ..... where you

> can see absolutely everywhere in London from

> Battersea Power Station round to Canary Wharf. On

> a clear day I think you can see Blackpool Tower.

Blackpool Tower would have to be approximately 8 miles high (3 miles higher than Everest) for it to be seen from London. As a rough rule of thumb for a 6 foot person at ground level the ground level horizon is 3.5 miles away. At 100 feet you can the horizon is about 12 miles away - tho if at 100 feet you would see the top of a 100 foot mast at twice that distance - 24 miles.

• 4 weeks later...