Getting to Lewisham Hospital?

I'm unexpectedly working at Lewisham Hospital for the next 3 months and I was wondering whether anyone had any advice on the best route as in my experience TFL's time 'estimates' are never that accurate. The possible choices I have are:

1. Bus: 185 which stops outside the hospital (estimated time 45 minutes)

2. Bus 484 to Ladywell then walk 10mins to hospital (estimated time 48 minutes)

3. Train to Ladywell via LB (estimated time 1 hour)

[4. A car would be a possibility as I can get insured on a friend's but this would be more expensive as I would have to pay for insurance. Also I would have to find somewhere to park within walking distance of the hospital. Nevertheless, if anyone has any idea how long driving would be that would be great].

[5. Cycling might also be possible. But I had a accident going to LB a year ago and haven't had the confident to get back into it. It would also mean buying a new bike. Again, if anyone knows a rough time it would take that would be great]

Basically at the moment I'm thinking the bus is the best idea. But I was wondering whether anyone could advise which out of the 185 or 484 is likely to be quicker? Or would it on average be quicker just to jump on the first one that comes - I haven't got much experience of buses so don't know about realistic frequency etc.

Thanks

I think the 185 is slightly quicker than the 484. I sometimes catch a bus from the north end of Lordship Lane to Lewisham DLR and the 185 is my prerference. Once the bus arrives, it's usually about 45 minutes to there. So it should be slightly shorter to the hospital.

up to you i guess and how late you are running at the time - i am not sure where exactly the 484 goes to in lewisham and how far you would be walking the other end so maybe you'll just have to try both options and see which you prefer.

Ah now if the 484 comes first, jump on. The difference is only a couple of minutes so it's worth going with a 484 if it's there rather than waiting for a 185. I've shunned a 484 before and waited another 10 minutes for a 185.

As paulino says, try both and see which you prefer.

If you can find the confidence to start cycling again (probably best to wait for the thaw first!) it's by far the quickest way. I live by Peckham Rye station and cycle to a friend's house the other side of Lewisham High Street and it takes under 20 minutes. I go up Nunhead Lane, turn up Hollydale Road and then go straight over Gibbon Road and there's a cut through to Drakefell Road. Up that, all the way to a right turn onto Brockley Road. Then left turn down Adelaide Avenue, follow it through Ladywell road and you're at Lewisham High Street.

It's a relatively quite route. I can understand the confidence thing though, took me ages to get on a bike after an accident as a pedestrian but I'm so glad I did. I had a cycle lesson from the council, which was a great way of building up my confidence and they will cycle your commute with you if you like. It's free if you live or work in Southwark, and it will be free or subsidised in Lewisham too I think. Cycle Training link.

There are also sometimes direct trains from Peckham Rye to Lewisham, I think...

I'd give both a go - I use the 484 regularly and think it's okay. You should be able to walk through Ladywell Fields to the hospital so it shouldn't be too long a walk.

If you're cycling there is always the foot/cycle bridge over the railway line at the bottom of Brockley Way/Brockley Mews and you could then cycle through Crofton Park and Ladywell on quietish roads.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll see how I get on just jumping on the 484 or 185 depending on which comes first. Meanwhile I'll look out for a good (and cheap) 2nd hand bike as mine was knicked sometime last year. Hopefully by then it will be a little bit warmer

Thanks for all the suggestions about the 185 vs. 484 & cycle routes

ontheedge Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 185,176 to horniman then jump on p4 to ladywell

> which will get you there in about 15 mins with a

> one minute walk

Seriously 15 minutes? Even in morning rush hour. So changing at Horniman is definately quicker than just staying on the 185?

Thanks

185. 484 is horrible esp during rush hour.

As a note, I put a friend on my car insurance and it only cost ?20 for the rest of the insurance year (9 months). Much cheaper than temporary. I've also put a friend on when I renewed and it reduced my premium!

Ramble66 Wrote:

> 185. 484 is horrible esp during rush hour.

>

> As a note, I put a friend on my car insurance and

> it only cost ?20 for the rest of the insurance

> year (9 months). Much cheaper than temporary.

> I've also put a friend on when I renewed and it

> reduced my premium!

Unfortunately I'm a young male and the car in question is a Peugeot 205 GTI. Pretty much the worst combination for getting cheap car insurance!

nunhead_man Wrote:

> Re cycling a friend of ours work at Lewisham and

> cycles - might be willing to share her route with

> you - shall I ask?

>

> also you may need to know about cycle parking etc?

Thanks for the offer. I think I'm going to try the bus for the first few weeks and see how it goes. If I see a good bicycle for sale and can't stand the crowds then I'll send you a pm.