East Dulwich underground station

I know that it is planned at Honour oak to connect the East london line in 2011-ish and that East dulwich was to follow suit about a year after,but I as talking to an estate agent in Foxtons and was told the idea had been scrapped !

I hope this is not the case does anyone have any ideas of what is in place.

My understanding is that the original plan was to connect to Wimbledon via East Dulwich (and N Dulwich Tulse Hill etc etc.)But was ditched for cost reasons. My master plan is to carry on the Bakerloo line from E & C to Camberwell (as proposed many years ago) at the very least.

Why do people want the tube so badly? Ok it's a bit more convenient but it would completley alter the character of SE22 for the worst - more transient, less community, more expensive and more bleedin' colonials from Clapham....Tube is vastly overated.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why do people want the tube so badly? Ok it's a

> bit more convenient but it would completley alter

> the character of SE22 for the worst - more

> transient, less community, more expensive and more

> bleedin' colonials from Clapham....Tube is vastly

> overated.

Possibly.

The train is fine most of the time, but a pain in the arse in the evenings. One train every 30 minutes is a bit shit.

If I had my way (and 5 billion pounds) the Bakerloo line would be extended along the route of the 176 to East Dulwich and Forest Hill, then above ground at Bell Green from where it could continue to Hayes or Bromley. This would provide the best solution to reducing overcrowding at London Bridge and Lewisham and provide connections from four separate national rail line and two arms of the East London Line. It would provide real underground connections for South East London across all zones. It utilises the only underground line with spare capacity as it reaches central London and the tunnel that already exists as far as Camberwell.

Tube at ED? Ha ha! Hilarious. I do hope this is a spoof.

What we will get is the Overground running from Shoreditch/Wapping/Rotherhithe south through Brockley, HOP, F Hill and then splitting to C P or W Croydon. That's this summer.

Then in 2012, as above, phase 2 - which is the Peckham Rye/D Hill bit.

Remains to be seen what it's like in practice, but I find it hard to imagine it will make things worse overall, although there'll be fewer trains to L Bridge.

As for extending the Victoria or Bakerloo, both have long been dreamed about but always defeated by unwillingness to tackle the south London clay to get through mainly not very rich or densely populated areas. The Northern line extension to Wimbledon in the thirties was dogged with difficulties with the clay. Bakerloo extension from Elephant to Camberwell actually started after the war, but ground to a halt - never to be resumed. P

Personally I mourn the Victoria-Moorgate loop which called at Honor Oak (as opposed to Honor Oak Park) and Lordship Lane as well as C P. Sadly that closed in, er, 1954.

http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/Crystal_Palace_line_2.html

Considering the amount of people who wanted to sue Thames Water for installing water pipes to solve some of the ED aqua-delivery issues, it comes as no surprise that the powers that be would steer clear of digging an underground line.

Even if the clay issue was resolved ED would still have the nimbys.

It's a very conservative working class enclave.

I've attached an article on how the Spanish extend tubes lines in Madrid - cut and cover ?35M/km deep tunnelling ?55M/km including station, signalling, etc.

They can build from conception to trains running within 4 years - whole tube lines 20km long. TfL talks about 20 year planning. They nearly did a five year project extending the Docklands Light Railway into Woolwich Arsenal 2.5km ?180M. Wierdly the same distance to extend the Bakerloo line to Denmark Hill as started in 1950.