Soon moving to East Dulwich, what's there for a new commer? Locals best

EDfutures

Dear all, looks like my housing Association is offering me a place somewhere in East Dulwich and i'd like to know a bit more about the area, i will visit soon, but i thought to ask local people what/how's there for the locals.

What's good?

What's bad?

in and out of the area (transport)

where to relax?

where to have fun?

Hope to hear from some of you.

Your potential neighbour

Ed

This area (and I include the Peckham SE15 side of Peckham Rye Park) is the best place to live in London.

Lordship Lane has only a few chain shops far too many trinket shops but lots of atmosphere.

We have Peckham Rye Park, Nunhead Cemetery, and whilst there's a lot wrong, there's more 'right' than in many other places around London. This forum is very special too. Have a read around it.

Hope things work out for you here.

hey! thanks (including the nutters ;-) , i take note of the suggestions, now i have something to start with.

keep posting, always encouraging to see that people can enjoy their local area, even in a non-communal way, whatever.

i should have enough data to have a good wander around next week or so.

how is transport?

thanks again!

Ed

Hi Ed.

I might be one of the older members who has been happy to live here for some 78 years, dont take any notice of the message telling you of the Cemetary or the other invitations of inpending future, or that you might prepare yourself in advance. These seven lines are always posted with the message. I look on it as an oversight.

You have come to the right place to find out what it is like here.

Dulwich Park is very popular.

The Railway takes you direct into London.

Three miles to the Underground station that serves all London.

And the many Bus routs.

There is a problem of parking cars.

Hi "computedshorty"

I appreciate your comment, the information and advise, 78 years living in the area i guess are good guarantee.

i don't have a car, so the parking problem doesn't concern me that much.

I am happy, and quite enjoying, to hear about the general mood and likes.

thanks

Ed

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This area (and I include the Peckham SE15 side of

> Peckham Rye Park) is the best place to live in

> London.

Yep.

A great high street with lots of independent shops, and (in my experience) a genuine sense of community. Rare for London.

" ..> This area (and I include the Peckham SE15 side of

> Peckham Rye Park) is the best place to live in

> London.

Yep.

A great high street with lots of independent shops, and (in my experience) a genuine sense of community. Rare for London..."

IF THIS FORUM WAS A CAFFE, I'D BE A REGULAR EVEN IF I WASNT A LOCAL!! (tu)

The area is good - lots of bars, shops, places to eat, and there are a couple of nice parks too. And I think it's a relatively safe area.

Transport is the main downside in my opinion. The trains are fine during the day, but infrequent after 8pm. Buses take a long time to get into central London and can get pretty crowded.

We have just moved to east dulwich, anyone got any advice about where to go out?! we're in our 20s and single and want some eye candy to look at! last night went out in Lordship Lane and it was dead!!! Bishop was good but we ended up in The Vale Bar as we wanted a bit of a boogey but it was empty :-( Is it more lively on a Saturday?

The Lane does seem to be a bit quiet at the moment. People are still paying off their credit cards after Christmas.

The Forum has monthly drinks and a monthly curry club which are well attended and are a good way of meeting people, there are a variety of sports, social and art activities that are advertised in the "Whats on" section.

Its a great place to live with that rare commodity - a sense of community. Of course most of us are blow-ins but the born and bred EDites can be identified by their pearly jackets, bandy legs (a diet of eels and mash) and are often seen in and around the Crystal Palace Tavern.

Lived in East Dulwich all my life ( well except for a couple of years in Forest Hill).

Good community feel - we have a lively Community Centre ( East Dulwich Community Centre) which has social events as well as being home to various organisations. A Fair Traid Centre at Christ Church (Barry Road/Lordship Lane Corner) which also has a cafe Mon- Friday.Christ Church is hosting the SE London Jazz Orchestra on 30th January (see Whats on in ED section)A family Barn dance is planned for early March. We have lots of pubs, wine bars and various restaurants, organic butchers, Eastern European Shop, wet fish shop, Sainsburys.

If you have primary aged children - get their names down quickly for schools as many popular schools around here.

Friendly Police - The East Dulwich Safer Neighbourhood Team are very helpful - we know most of them by their first names.

Dulwich Community Council meetings are a good place to find out what is going on in the area in terms of policing, developments etc.

Very few council estates, most council and housing associations are street properties, various residents' associations.

Street parties, lots of family events at pubs - what more can you ask for.

Population mixed - loads of families, students, singles, lots of oldies who have been around half a century and more in the area, plus newcomers. Actors like ED and you will see many familiar faces.

Dulwich park and peckham rye park & common are beautiful especially in the summer. Lots of cool cafes on lordship lane, some nice restaurants. lively markets-peckham and northcross road... Dulwich village is also lovely, herne hill is closeby with a lido in the large brockwell park...well kept secret of SE London but still really close to central London for shopping theatres, bromley for shopping etc...people passionate about where they live and wanting to make it better

you don't need to go abroad in summer at all!

One of my favourite things in ED is Hamlets gym next to Sainsbury's. It's basic and a little rough around the edges, but it's unpretentious, there is great mix of people that use it and the people are really friendly - Skip the gym manager always makes an effort say hello to everyone. It's the first time that I've had gym membership and actually used it regularly, and as an added bonus it's really cheap.