N

m&m fairy

I don't believe for a minute they go that fast - Personally I would rather see kids flying round a park, doing something active, than sitting at home in front of a computer screen. Surely if you walk on the grass you won't be bothered?

Most of London's most vibrant parks will have some kind of activity that is going to annoy and irritate some - rollerblading in Hyde Park anyone - but I suspect deaths by trikes or rollerbladers are few and far between.

They do go to fast, in Peckham Rye park too(td) walking on the grass is not always an option, especially when it was icy, it was treacherous, the road and paths had clearer bits. I agree, if I had children I would rather have them doing something active, but the park is for everyone and there should be a speed limit for all and "Your dogs are cute so I won't run them over" WTF!

The only safe time to visit the park these days is when the little blighters are at school. In my day there were two very fierce, brown suited, Park Keepers who ruled the place with a rod of iron and took great pleasure in chasing nasty children out of the park. Wouldn't have had any fancy bikes upsetting the local gentry any day of the week, let alone a Sunday. Ah, it was a quiet and peaceful park in those days far, far better than today. The tree huggers have managed to ruin the place what with their nature gardens, trendy cafe, oh and the er, playground takes up half the park now. It was much smaller and quite difficult to find as well as being properly dangerous. Country's going to the dogs (they had to be kept on a lead too).

When was your day? 1952?

I am a member of the Friends of Peckham Rye Park although I can never make meetings so it's my fault. And your fault for not taking part. What the hell is wrong with a nature garden?

Know what you mean about the trendy cafe though. A greasy spoon would be far more appropriate....

You were kidding though, right?

Sadly trying to make a serious point via the medium of humour and irony but clearly failing. I don't know if the brown suited park keepers were a pre war product but he were certainly there in the 60's and may have only been discontinued in the early 70's. But by god they ran a tight ship.

It's great to see kids cycling around the park and getting exercise, but a lot of them don't look where they are going at all. I agree, the parents need to pay more attention and give out to their kids if they are being silly. I was cycling through last Saturday, and kids were veering in front on me, and I saw many people have to jump out of the way of certain children's paths.

The park is for everyone, so a little bit of consideration wouldn't go amiss.

Also, you can bet if one of their little darlings gets kicked in the face by someone tripping over their low bike, or crashes into a full size bike, the parents will scream blue bloody murder...

Just to say as devils advocate.... most people seem to delight in saying that parents these days are too protective of children and cause more problems ie children should be left to their own devises and not constantly supervised. In which case, they should be allowed to make their own mistakes and get told off for them surely??? All children, by nature will push their luck, thats their role in life and the grown ups is to winge and complain. I suspect thats not changed since forever. So whinge away, then go check with your own parents about how annoying a little s**t you were too. Fine , they are annoying but youth feel dissaffected because people complain at them for 'EVERYTHING' and I think they have a point!

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I second that northlondoner, I prefer to see

> children playing in the parks.

>

> Children cannot savage you.

OH for Gods sake>:D:D< like I don't wioth children.

We all have to share the parks so lets get on with it!

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I second that northlondoner, I prefer to see

> children playing in the parks.

>

> Children cannot savage you.

Boring boring boring! This has been done to death! Completely agree with the other posters, Children can be pretty evil same as adults, dogs, cats ...... erm anything living!

SteveT, I suspect the children savaged by the two monstrous brothers in the press recently would bed to differ, stay on thread!

I was wondering that too Jah? Where on earth is East Dulwich Park?

Also, if it's the London recumbent bikes in Dulwich Park you mean, then they've been running a few good years now & I think if their death rate was creeping up we would have heard about it!

I agree with other posters. You share the world you live in - this creates an element of risk to it whether you're an adult, child, cat or dog. A poor whinge really pinkcustard. Sorry. No sympathy here.