House Buying

Jamie

We may have lost the opportunity of buying our beautiful flat because of an estate agents erroneus claim to our land lady that they can sell it for 290k ( a two bedroom flat with no garden just off Peckham Rye) even though they told me 40k less than that when they came round and that they have nothing near that on there website........

So I am wondering if anyone is selling a nice victorian 2 bedroom flat who has no desire to give money to any estate agent. We will be looking to buy at the end of the summer/ or beginning at a push. The flat must be near a park (Peckham Rye, Dulwich Park etc..). Preferably with a nice sized loft that can be converted one day.

If anyone has a flat of this description that they are happy to sell for 230-250k then please let me know.

Thanks

Bugger.

It's a tricky/deceitful business. Valuations of the (2 bed) flat I sold before coming here were varied to say the least - ?50k difference between the higheset and lowest. And whilst everyone knows most agents exaggerate their valuations to attract business, when it's your flat and there are pound signs flashing in front of your eyes, it's hard not to be swayed by the higher offers.

Its understandable though. Selling your first house is usually when you have a baby/small family and all you can think of is how you can support them over the coming years and so you want to sell for as much as someone can forgetting how hard it is to buy your first house. Like I said in a previous post the only winners are banks, estate agents and property investors. It's such a shame that we all make our lives so much harder by agreeing to play by the "market" rules which are a fabrication in order to benefit a few. Property prices should be capped.

Anyway not to go off subject too much if anyone hears anything on the grapevine in the next few months or has suggestions let me know. Thanks

Have you considered personally doing a mailshot of streets you want to live in, maybe one now and one closer to when you want to move as a reminder? Print some cards at home and drop 'em off by hand over a weekend.

Sounds like a long shot, but I have heard of it paying off.

There is a lot of stuff on the market for 250-270k via evil estate agents so do not think it is that unrealistic if buying without the estate agent fees and hassle etc.....

Have you seen the lush 9 bedroom house on auction on Colyton Road......mmmmmmmm......praying for a national lottery win!

I'm registered with propertybroker.com which is apparently agent free and it brought this up when I did a search:

Search Results

3 matching properties were found

Showing results: 1 - 3

?280,000 : Second Floor Flat in "East Dulwich" (SE22), 3 bedrooms.

More Information...

?285,000 : First Floor Flat in "East Dulwich" (SE22), 2 bedrooms.

More Information...

?289,500 : Third Floor Flat in "East Dulwich" (SE22), 2 bedrooms.

More Information... Under Offer

So if you could stretch to ?280k you could have a 3 bed that overlooks Peckham Rye Park.

Good luck!

Well we moved from SE22 to just the other (north) side of Dog Kennel Hill. It's still only 5-10 minutes walk (or very short bus ride) from LL, but a bit quieter, slightly leafier and several thousand pounds cheaper thanks to the SE5 postcode. We managed a three storey (4 including large loft with conversion possiblities) three bedroom house for ?264k a year ago.

May be worth casting your net just a wee bit wider.

I am another net-caster, having crossed into SE15 by literally a couple of metres when I moved last year. If I was looking to move today, I would head Nunhead direction for value. SE22 stretches quite far south, and I would rather be near a station but not in SE22 than stuck up Underhill Rd given my daily commute. You can get a 3 bed on the other side of Peckham Rye for the same price as a small flat in ED.

I'm happy with Nunhead as long as it is near the park, It is where I live at the moment (Just off the Rye). I might be prepared to go up to 260 for a very lovely 2 bed. EdKiwi, gloat you may but it really makes no difference, if you stay here in ED all that happens is you sell your flat have more equity and then put it down again.....and the winner is The Bank and The Estate Agent! If you sell up and go back to NZ then of course you have made a mint and thats great for you (but again my point was that the lovely family who then but your house end up losing out/overstretching/paying banks loads of money - The only people that lose is all of us)

Some of you may take this as ramblings but I am all for being productive, earning money, having a good lifestyle but there is a balance that has to be found and an understanding that people are being sharked on everyday. If we have that knowledge then we have to help ourselves and others get out of the rut of debt and bank control. Then again maybe I'm wrong. The world is a perfect place, perfect in its imperfections.

Jamie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you

> sell up and go back to NZ then of course you have

> made a mint and thats great for you

Except he has to live in New Zealand (yawn)

Ah yes, jealousy will get you nowhere. I can take it all back to NZ, or maybe Oz. Maybe I'll just put my finger in the air and see where I end up.

You're right Jamie though in that the real winner is the RE agents and the banks. We should all start promoting our houses using private sale sites such as propertybroker.com. We have more chance of selling our prices for a better rate then and we get to cut the RE agents out!

Jamie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We may have lost the opportunity of buying our

> beautiful flat because of an estate agents

> erroneus claim to our land lady that they can sell

> it for 290k ( a two bedroom flat with no garden

> just off Peckham Rye) even though they told me 40k

> less than that when they came round and that they

> have nothing near that on there website........

> So I am wondering if anyone is selling a nice

> victorian 2 bedroom flat who has no desire to give

> money to any estate agent. We will be looking to

> buy at the end of the summer/ or beginning at a

> push. The flat must be near a park (Peckham Rye,

> Dulwich Park etc..). Preferably with a nice sized

> loft that can be converted one day.

> If anyone has a flat of this description that they

> are happy to sell for 230-250k then please let me

> know.

> Thanks

Good luck to you . Unfortunately , the property scene in ED at present is being fuelled by greed wherby property owners are offered crazy sums of money for houses that have rising damp and full of badly done "improvements".

Furter to the add placed on the 13th re house buying, I live in beckenham/catford area , 3 min walk to beckenham place park golf club. I have a 2 bedroom house that i will be selling in the summer for about 220k. freehold, with a loft. private off street parking, private back garden and lots of green space next door. If you are interested in this area let me know and lets leave the estate agents out ofthings!

If you want to have a look drop me a line and if not good luck with your house hunting

Give me a bell on 07739128370