Yet more road works on Forest Hill Roads

dbboy

I've been told by Southwark Council officers that at present no temporary traffic signals with integrated pedestrian phasing have been approved by Department of Transport for use. That this is an industry wide concerns and discussions are taking place with the Department of Transport, London Council's (representing all councils in London) and Transport for London with an expectation that approval will be given. No time scales yet on this.

Clearly this means that when permanent lights are replaced with temporary lights existing pedestrian phasing is lost. To deter pedestrians from chancing this ridiculous situation barriers are placed but clearly some will try dodging traffic.

For the specifics of the recent Forest Hill Raod work. Thames Water have made a temporary fix of a 300mm mains bringing back water supplies for 578 properties. Tonight from 8pm a permanent repair will be made. This is at a time with less traffic, most dinners have been made (needing water pressure) etc. So overall minimising inconvenience but importantly fewer pedestrians around.

When I find out the timescales for this type approval for temporary lights that include pedestrian phases I'll let you know.

I've just had a very similar response back via the Labour cllrs as well.

Would be good if those in the immediate vicinity could confirm the works are completed tonight as promised.

Also, from a pedestrian safety point of view, there should be signing to help pedestrians and to warn cars in the absence of the temporary lights being able to 'phase' for pedestrians. If you don't think the signing is sufficient (on these or other works) it would be worth flagging this up with the council direct or via your councillors.

Victoria

Peckham Rye Labour

Is it just me or does it sound totally rediculous in this day and age that the signals can't be adapted to include a pedestrian phase? Computers can fly aeroplanes but can't do a 5 phase signal???? Or am I missing something crucial?

And if lights are being worked on, just how far are pedestrians meant to walk to find a safe place to cross? With the lights on Peckham Rye / ED Road, coming from Nunhead, where were we meant to go to cross the road safely - all the way up to the zebra, halfway up the common? Realistically, how many are likely to do this?

I'm usually good at seeing the other point of view but I'm failing miserably on this one!

Has anyone else noticed that the timing on the Kings Arms junction traffic lights has now changed? Either that or many more cars go through on red when crossing through the Rye into East Dulwich Road. I have to turn right (onto Peckham Rye)at those lights many times a day and it's getting more hairy negotiating a right turn before the traffic starts coming at you from both sides.

Echo that raydalema on the other side, too, where one is coming from East Dulwich but wants to turn right up the second set of traffic lights to go south up the hill towards Cheltenham Road / Brockley. The only time we can turn right at both junctions is after the red lights, or we're stuck there for hours with cars and (in my case) the 484 bus pushing us from behind (not literally). So we take our chances and become criminals.

PeckhamRose: You?re only a criminal if you pass the solid white stop line at red. If you passed over it at green and only clear the junction once the lights have reverted to red you have done nothing wrong.

Nunheadmum: Of course it is easy to make temporary signals with pedestrian phases, however it is nothing to do with this and it is to do with all the legislation to back it all up. Blame the legal profession.

Weren?t there some individuals on this forum advocating the removal of all traffic lights to ?smooth? traffic flow recently? So how would they expect pedestrians to cross then? It is a bit of a dilemma. I would be for a trial for certain junctions after 9pm to be switched off until 5am.

nunheadmum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it just me or does it sound totally rediculous

> in this day and age that the signals can't be

> adapted to include a pedestrian phase? Computers

> can fly aeroplanes but can't do a 5 phase

> signal???? Or am I missing something crucial?

>

> And if lights are being worked on, just how far

> are pedestrians meant to walk to find a safe place

> to cross? With the lights on Peckham Rye / ED

> Road, coming from Nunhead, where were we meant to

> go to cross the road safely - all the way up to

> the zebra, halfway up the common? Realistically,

> how many are likely to do this?

>

> I'm usually good at seeing the other point of view

> but I'm failing miserably on this one!

I was saying much the same thing on the other thread about the recent accident and was made to feel like I was an idiot for even suggesting the idea.

I'm amazed that blocking the pedestrian crossing points is thought to improve safety. As has been pointed out, people are going to either ignore them or, worse, even more people will cross at other parts of the road where drivers aren't expecting them.

I'd have thought it would be worth considering charging the company doing the work for the cost of lollipop style crossing management while the work takes place. I would expect that at busy crossings like this one the cost would be low compared to the benefit. Obviously when the space age technology of adding a pedestrian phase is ready that won't be necessary, but in the meantime the current arrangement seems rubbish.

we live in a road off colyton and our spirits sank when saw that the nasty little lights were back for another open-ended period of disuption. several dog walkers and no doubt other pedestrians are furious that trying to cross the road to go to the park is once again a life lottery. this country simply does not work any more.

Why can't works be scheduled so we don't suffer one set of temporary lights which then are removed and a week later return. Can't it all be done in one go.

I thought all works needed a permit from the Council and how comes this afternoon amd evening there were NO workman but a BLOODY big hole dug by Thames Water and that just needed filling in, so the temp lights could go and traffic return to NORMAL.