Is East Dulwich up for a Photo / Arts festival?

Hello,

Now, I might be wrong on this (and I probably am) but as far as I know East Dulwich, despite its various artists / musicians / photographers doesn't seem to have a Arts festival to speak of? After moving to West Dulwich (soon to be East) last summer I noticed there was the Dulwich festival and that Camberwell and even Sydenham had there own arts events / festivals, but nothing in E.D.

So, with this in mind I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me with curating / organising / participating / volunteering in East Dulwich's first ever Photography Festival? It's all just an idea at present with participating photographers / artists working with local businesses on Lordship Lane, North Cross Road and East Dulwich Road and working with those businesses as exhibition spaces, giving photographers a chance to showcase their work, while promoting local businesses and hopefully bringing the local community together through a series of art events / exhibitions.

So, if you think this could be an interesting project that you would be helping out with or participating in, then please get in touch with me via the messageboard or contact me through my website www.darrellkmorris.com

Cheers for now.

Darrell

There was a photography festival a few years ago - I think they called themselves Buffalo or something like that. It was quite fun - each photographer exhibited in places that don't normally show photography like bars and shops and then each photographer had a picture at Liquorish where the opening was. But it never happened again which was a shame. Yes there are oodles of creatives in SE22

I'm a local photographer and last year I exhibited work as part of the Dulwich Festival Artists' Open House event, which incorporates all art forms and covers the areas of ED/WD/Dulwich/Forest Hill/Honor Oak and Peckham Rye. It's very, very good but I think the deadline has passed for entries now - and I never got the invite this year or heard about it at all, so forgot to apply in time.

Here's a link to the Festival website:

http://www.dulwichfestival.co.uk/2009/openhouse.asp

I would be interested in organising something photography based in addition to the Open House event if enough people are interested.

for those who don't remember edfest, it was on goose green. main events were in the big top (bill bailey was the headline gig one year) and there were craft stalls, nice food outlets and even a book festival in a smaller tent. jonathan meades was there for the last edfest. it was great fun. the council made the stewards wear t shirts proclaiming 'PROUD TO BE PECKHAM". a small price to pay for their generous support.

Thanks for all the comments...

Sadly, I've only been here six months or so and can't remember EDFEST (sounded brilliant). But, it's surprising that E.D. doesn't have something creative going on in a festival kinda way.

But, the idea's about open house and incorporating other area's (Brockley,Peckham, Forest Hill etc..) was something I had in mind. Also, what about involving local schools for photo comps and corporate sponsorship from photo companies to help it along?

Sadly over in the west of dulwich, I'm inflicted with the woeful Lambeth council. Anyone have any idea's if Southwark council would be interested in helping out in some way?

If anyone has any idea's / suggestions please email me @ [email protected] or via the contact page @ www.darrellkmorris.com

• 2 weeks later...
This sounds fab - we moved to London from York just over a year ago - and my boyfriend took part in York Open Studios two years in a row before we moved. It was a fantastic event and he sold loads of pictures! We've been moaning there isn't anything similar to where we are now. But hopefully in about a month or two we will be moving to East Dulwich and would love to get involved in something like this when we do move! :)

Just seeen this post - I'd be up for getting involved with something new along these lines. I am a local Art Director/Designer and keen amateur photographer, so should be able to bring something to the mix. I look forward to hearing more. Dan

Thanks for the great response ;-) Mass emails have now been sent out to businesses throughout East Dulwich.

Hopefully, over the next couple of weeks, I'll be able to confirm some venues and also for an outdoor event on Goose Green during September.

If you haven't emailed me already, but you want to volunteer your services or you want to particpate then email me @

[email protected] or follow me on twitter @darrellkmorris

I'll draw up a mailing list shortly.

Ciao for now ;-)

Hi Darrell

Sounds like a great idea. If you're after funding from the council it might be worth putting a bid for Community Fund money. The maximum you can get is ?1000 but as Goose Green sits where three community council meet (Dulwich, Camberwell and Nunhead & Peckham Rye) you could always try your luck with all three: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourCouncil/communitycouncils/Communityfund.html

Might also be worth contacting the Friends of Peckham Rye. I presume they'll be doing their annual fete on the Rye, probably on the 4th Sept. You might want to avoid a clash or I think that the Brixton Urban Art event being on the same day as the Brockwell Park Country Show works really well - you make a whole day of it.

Finally might also be worth contacting the Nunhead Arts Weeks folk via [email protected] (assuming it's the same contact as last year) they put on a great week of activities last year. Whilst I don't think they would want you to steal any of their funding sources :) they may be able to offer some advice about how they have secured money. The impression Colin Tonks gave at a recent community council was that it's quite a task to pull things together but some how they manage to do it.

Victoria.

Peckham Rye Labour

Dan - Thank you I'll add you to the list.

Victoria - Thanks so much for the advice. I have to admit I am coming from this completely from am artistic viewpoint and looking to be curator of the festival. If anyone out there has had experience of obtaining grants for outdoor events, then please get in touch. I can't promise you ANY financial reward, but I hope you will be helping bring a really interesting event to the area. Sadly, venues are thin on the ground at present. But, already I have had some good feedback from photographers, so it's fingers crossed.

Priority - Really need someone for admin duties and dealing with such things as hiring Goose Green, health & safety, insurance, public liability etc... Anyone?...

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

Thanks to everyone who expressed and interest in putting together East Dulwich's first ever photo festival. Sadly, despite a really good response from many people either volunteering their services or expressing an interest in exhibiting work or being a venue. An overall lack of venues, means that I regretfully have decided not to go further with this idea.

Hopefully it can be revived and maybe relocated further into S.E. London (as part of the East London Photo Festival) but sadly it looks as though it won't be happening in E.D. for this year.

Thanks again.

Darrell

Did you consider doing an arts fare on Peckham Rye park? Not sure what is involved in getting permission but they have events on their before and imagine that sort of thing would go down well.

I'd be happy to help out if you are still keen? How many venues were interested out of interest?

Personally, I do wonder how much interest could be generated locally for such an event when there is a lack of willing venues.

The Peckham Rye park idea is good, but you would need alot of people to put it together, otherwise I can see it looking a little bit lost out there in such a big space. If you're interested in continuing it though, I would be happy to pass on the contacts list to you. And do check out some of the previous posts on here too...