Car Crime, then burglary Hillsboro Road SE22

I had my van broken into 9th of this month, then had my house burgled on Sunday the 14th between 6-6.30pm. I suspect it could be the same person/people.

I have noticed other forum users have suffered in a similar way recently so I would like to echo the warning to other locals.

I live near Alleyns School on Hillsboro Road, it could be that the perpetrator lives very close by.

I was actually in my Garage at the time of entry but heard nothing, the thief/thieves entered quickly through the back of the house, yards from where I was at the time, and left quickly with an Iphone, another regular black mobile phone, a Apple Mac Power Book lap top and two wallets both containing cash and cards.

We gave chase to a Silver Japanese (or similar style) 4 door saloon, but didn't manage to get an index/registration number. There were three people inside the car, the person on the back seat was looking at a Laptop, there is a small chance this was not the burglar.

Please be warned. The thief is swift and daring.

thinking barbed wire - Don't - you would be held liable (yes, really) for any damage caused to an intruder - all the old favourites, barbed wire, revolving spikes, broken glass set in mortar are now considered hazardous (yes, well, that's the point, isn't it) and you can be held liable for damage - not just to trespassing kids but to intentional burglars.

It's a mad, mad world we live in...

Your best bet is visible (and protected) CCTV coverage - a neighbour had an annoying (but effective) alarm triggered by infra red beam which had a voice announcement saying a film was being made. The foxes used to build entire home movie portfolios before the beam was altered up in height!

You are also allowed high and difficult to climb barriers as long as they don't contain hazards. That 'never dry' paint you can put on drainpipes could also be used.

It's not about making your home inviolate - all homes can be broken into - it's about making the investment necessary in breaking into your home not worth the reward - so good locks, sensible security (not leaving windows open) etc. etc.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune

I think this is the Law in question. You can use as much razor wire as you like and avoid liability as long as you are not building traps. I have some six inch screws sticking up through the side gate lintel. All this stuff is in a position that you have to climb to get to and in plain sight form the ground.

I would happily post you some photos if that is possible on this forum?

Occupiers' Liability Act 1984

The trespasser's acceptance of a risk, known as the defence of volenti non fit injuria, is covered in Section 1(6) of the Act, which provides that "no duty is owed ... to any person in respect of risks willingly accepted as his by that person"

Personally I would actually take a sick pleasure in defending myself against charges where some toe-rag had impaled himself on my gate. No doubt the Daily mail would enjoy the story.

I'm sure if you asked the Village ward Polce Safer Neighbourhood Team to make a crime prevention visit they'll make useful suggestions. It would be a shame to have barbed wire and look like a PoW camp.

Property marking kits reduce burglary by around 80%. You place a sticker at each potential door and window entry point so burglars know they can't fence any of the valuable. You're left with the odd idiot. Climbing over gates and fences. I'd peronally be surprised if many thieves could be bothered. They'll find an easier entrance at a neighbours.

The contact details for the Village Police team are:

020 8721 2446

[email protected]

• 6 months later...

Getting robbed is an awful feeling and makes you think that you could have done more to prevent it. Only after, you start to consider that security is more than a simple issue. It is a big one.

Talking security takes more than locking doors and windows when you leave home. There are lots of other things to consider like back and front yard, inside and outside lightning, alarms and safes.

Last summer I lost my laptop and was told by law enforcement officers that I would have to bid on my own laptop at auction unless I could prove the item belonged to me. Luckily my brother in law got me a Ghostprint kit for my birthday and my laptop was one of the first items I marked.

http://secure-your-valuables.com/

I hope it will be useful

The officers returned my laptop after providing them with the details of my invisible Ghostprint mark, saving me potentially having to buy my own laptop again!

If you have the space and the inclination to prune once a year to keep things under control then berberis or pyracantha hedges around the walls or fence is a good idea, very thorny though and not fun to deal with as a gardener! or topping off with a run of trellis all round is good, most burglars should know it wont hold their wheight.

if you oould put the car link back up - I saw a fellow standing by a silver car on the thurs on Hillsboro as I was cycling by and another fellow loitering at the traffic island at the junction with a mobile phone (similar ages - young guys) - ...perhaps the same people...on the other hand, perhaps not...they did catch my attention as they were just standing about...with one eye on me riding by and the other eye trying to look occupied...

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Property marking kits reduce burglary by around 80%. You place a sticker at each potential door

> and window entry point so burglars know they can't fence any of the valuable.

James, where does that figure come from? Do you have a reference to something I can look up? And what happens to burglars who ignore the sticker on the door?

We use hardy orange -- Poncirus trifoliata. This plant is winter-hardy, withstanding ten degrees of frost in new money, and is armoured densely with three-inch spikethorns. It's a slower-growing shrub than is pyracantha, but one pruning in late spring suffices to keep it in line. White bloom (not fragrant) in spring and orange, non-edible fruit in late autumn, a handsome grass green all year around. I recommend it, planted close against your boundary fence; you'll lose a yard of garden, but your perimeter will be impenetrable.

Again, it's all about convincing a chavlet that next door looks like the easier mark.