One for the local historians - Re: Camberwell Old Cemetery?

Vik

Hoping someone can help me a little here!

My mum has asked me to try and find out something for her. She has a friend who's husband is a big fan of Hurling (the Irish sport!) My mum is sure she read somewhere that the 'inventor' of hurling is buried in Camberwell Old Cemetery. But I've Googled and Googled and I can't find any evidence of this.

If anyone knows anything about this I would be most grateful for any info!

Thanks,

Vicki

There is indeed a large stone erected for a man, on which the word 'hurling' does feature. I noticed it the other day, but I cannot say for sure whether he is the inventor. I think it had something to do with the rules or setting up a league. Nero

I doubt it was the inventor of the sport as the irish were playing hurling when the Romans were bashing the Iceni on the head, but I could well believe it was a founder member of the GAA or somesuch.

I've googled, but not alot to go on. If you get his name why not zap an email to [email protected] at the GAA, I'm sure they'd be delighted at your interest.

vik, dont worry help is at hand,the person you are refering to is one liam mc carthy born in london in the late 19th century to parents originally from cork. liams connection with the gaa is that obviously with cork parents he grew up playing hurling and got involved with the london gaa scene eventually rising to become chairman of the county board for approx 10yrs,his county secretary at one stage was michael collins,of whos life a film was later made although no mention of his involvement of with london gaa was made in the film. at one stage mc carthy lived on the forest hill road in ed and its likely this is the reason why he was buried up the hill.in the early 1900s mc carthy on the redemption of a loan,had a trophy commissioned and presented it to the gaa central council with the intention that it would be presented to the winners of the all-ireland senior hurling championship, they were only too happy to accept and ever since the liam mccarthy cup is presented to the all-ireland hurling champions,co-incidentally the final is on tomorrow at 1530hrs kilkenny vs limerick. as an aside the trophy for the all-ireland senior football winners is known as the sam macguire.

in the early 1990s it was discovered that after many years of neglect mc carthys grave had fallen into a state of disrepair and following a campaign which i think was organised by the irish post funds were raised to return the grave to its former glory and commerate the fact that the person after whom the all ireland hurling championship is named was buried in s.e.london. there was a dedication ceremony which was attend by many local dignitarys,and representatives of the london gaa and officials from gaa hq in croke pk also attended, as a hurler myself i also popped along and it was quite a moving and informative ceremony. i havnt been back since so whether or not the grave is still maintained i dont know,but hopefully this will answer your query.

spadetownboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i couldnt even tell you roughly as the one and

> only time i have been there was for the ceremony

> and thats at least 13-14 yrs ago,but i will

> enquire and if i find out i,ll let you know.

I'll keep wandering - will give a focus to a walk. If I find himn - I'll let you know. (Mrs MM)

ahh thanks mp i know my hurling,apart from the wife and the kids its the love of my life and if i was sure that the missus wouldnt read this id probably put it in first place - only joking love. by the way if anyones interested kilkenny beat limerick in a reasonably entertaining but fairly one sided final, puts them level with cork on 30 all-ireland senior hurling titles each.

• 1 year later...
My father is buried in this Cemetery, so we visit his grave quite often and I very much appreciate the hard work that goes into maintaining the grounds etc, but find it absolutely incredible that only two people are employed to do this? (Apparently, the Cemetery is maintained by a private company and not Southwark Council).