Theatre in Dulwich

editorialmoo

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a small venue that could be transformed into a small, permanent theatre in Dulwich, Nunhead, Peckham or the surrounding area. Weather it's a room above a pub, derelict building, archway or just a large space that could be renovated and put to excellent use. Crazy, creative solutions strongly recommended.

Any thoughts, ideas, comments, suggestions or even if you feel strongly as to whether we need a theatre in this area or not I'd love to hear it.

Many thanks

A small theatre would be brilliant! What about places that are being currently being developed like the old Wishing Well in Bellenden Road- are their any rooms there, like the old billiard room?

Talking of billiard rooms, there is meant to be a beautiful delapidated one inside Peckham Rye Station- how about something like that?

Brilliant idea, and also good thought from Huggers. Peckham Society would have something to say about that. I went on a Peckham Society tour and they discussed that though I think at the time that room was structurally unfit or something.

A theatre, and used for theatre. As well as comedy obviously.

The back of the Ivy House is an original intact edwardian theatre and is already used a lot. If it became a permanent theatre space it might be lost to the many music nights and Pull The Other Once extravagant comedy and entertainments that it is home to.

Yes, yes, yes - a local theatre would be perfect. Think the small, but perfectly formed one in Greenwich. I don't get out much (am actually a 'theatre widow) so don't have anywhere to recommend, but I support your vision wholeheartedly. And should it come about & you find you need any advice on the lighting rig then Mr SW is your man! How exciting :))

Really nice idea. Can't help with indoors venue - but any thoughts on staging something outside in one of our great parks. The thoughts of a play, picnic, bottle of wine and some summer sun on my back helps get me through the cold and wet of recent! Good luck and hope may be able to help in some way.

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/news.cfm?id=7277&headline=Uproar%20as%20church%20buys%20Camberwell%20bingo%20hall

Vote NO on the poll on the left here?

I am by no means anti-religion but if there is something Camberwell and the Walworth road doesn't need its another evangelist church, lets bring more culture to the area!

Or vote YES if you disagree... :-)

upstairs at the EDT used to house a theatre- the ED Comedy, poetry nights, panto, new plays and also play readings, and the first very successful ED festival all run by the Steve Frost contingent. Although really popular, after fifteen years, the pub thought it more profitable to turn it into a pizza restaurant. . Then the lodge. The EDT theatre was one of the reasons we moved here from Pimlico, it being the hub of our thespian community.

Luckily ED comedy itself found a new home at the Hob inForest Hill but I for one certainly miss that buzzing hub of theatrical goings on right on my doorstep- the childrens theatre workshops on a saturday, new plays, one man shows.,

Something similar would be brilliant- but it would have to be secure, and free from the vagaries of fortune and the changing plans of landlords.

Hi

The Gala Bingo hall in Camberwell has just been sold to an African church franchise much to the annoyance of many. It is said that there is a proliferation of these kind of establishments in the area.

Many feel that it would better serve a wider section of the community as local hubs are being decimated at a rate of knots.

There is no planning permission for this type of use.

There is a group of community minded people who have this to say.

Friends

If you love Camberwell, if you care about Camberwell, read this. And, if you agree with it, pass it on to everyone you know who also cares about the future of this marvellous, unkempt, sadly run down part of London. WE might just be able to make it change for once and for all. There are links below which provide a lot of useful information. The people who got this work together are all people like you - who care - who came together in the space of a week. We just CARE and we desperately want to see Camberwell improve! Please enjoy and join in!

The former Gala Bingo hall is a 2000 seater grade 2 listed building with fabulous art deco interiors a stone's throw from Camberwell Green, the centre of population to 40,000 people who have no substantial space for entertainment or civic congregation local to them. Last week Gala vacated the site and sold it, without notice, to an evangelical church group. This is a private sale. In legal principle it is a commercial transaction made between two willing parties and that's that. But this situation is special. In short it is about hoping to achieve something invaluable for everyone in the area - of all faiths - something which will touch, improve and positively impact on more people's lives than any faith denomination could ever hope to benefit. The fact is Camberwell is replete with churches while it perennially suffers from the absence even ONE venue appropriate for secular congregation.

Camberwell has an extraordinarily rich cultural history and one of the most diverse population ranges in the entire UK. Camberwell has a remarkable concentration of people from the Creative Industries from all levels, disciplines and backgrounds imaginable. Camberwell also has the heritage of being a centre of artistic innovation and excellence originating from pre Victorian times.

There are NO secular venues in the area that accommodate large audiences - no substantial venue for the performing arts, for music, for entertainments with general appeal. There are many voluntary and third sector organisations in the area who struggle perennially to find administrative facilities and a physical base from which to work. There are well respected community event organisations based in Camberwell who struggle to, who cannot, commission events here because there is nowhere that can accommodate even moderately large events. The Gala Bingo site has the potential to comprehensively address many of these serious, socially damaging, gaps in local provision of cultural and civic amenity.

If the existing facilities at the Gala Bingo site could be intelligently improved, enhanced, extended and redeveloped it could meet, deliver and exceed a long identified, well recognised and - perennially neglected - widespread, burgeoning local demand for the provision of high quality arts, culture, civic amenity and heritage which the whole population would immediately gain benefit from.

If, by some extraordinary turn of events driven by widespread consensus on the most desirable outcome for its future, the Gala site were to come under direct community control through the auspices of a Camberwell Community Development Trust, Camberwell's current forlorn, downtrodden and sorely neglected position could change dramatically for the better, for ever.

The Gala site presents a UNIQUE opportunity for everyone living, loving, working or passing through Camberwell. It is ideally positioned with the potential to be developed into an iconic landmark destination which celebrates the area's unparalleled, fantastic cultural mixes, influences, aspirations in one venue, a venue of national architectural and cultural importance.

Links

the 'cinema' reference is too narrow. A broader description will emerge in time

Facebook Group Cinema for Camberwell http://bit.ly/cDKGbo

Cinema Website http://www.camberwellcommunitycinema.webs.com

Camberwell Online blog http://bit.ly/cpwI0L

A poster / flyer for your consideration small http://bit.ly/cuBWhq medium http://bit.ly/b0mxuE large http://bit.ly/9ugrJt

Places of worship and of amenity and leisure within one mile of Camberwell Green http://bit.ly/91ymjH

Please forward this email to everyone you know who cares.

With best wishes

--

Mark

J Mark Dodds