Goodrich School drop offs

TJ

Ok - one more rant for the day.

The parents who drive to goodrich... please stop parking on the roundabouts, yellow lines and particularly on the road narrowing part right outside.

It really is so selfish.

It's always chaos! People parking where the path dips for crossing should be spoken to by staff. It is very selfish and dangerous to force groups of children into the middle of the roundabout. It's such a local school, why do they have to drive?! I know some that drive from Overhill Road!!

Unfortunately this isn't restricted to Goodrich.

St John's and St Clement's have the same issues with parents selfishly parking on zig zags to avoid a 2 minute walk from some safe parking further down the road. It seems that the parents can't be bothered to park up, get out of the car and walk their children to the playground, but just want to pull up outside the school, push their childern out and drive on.

This is raised periodically with the school/council. Subsequently a token enforcement officer shows up for a day or two to move people on, but tickets never seem to be handed out as people move on before being ticketed.

If safety rather than income generation was the real priority for traffic enforcement we should see school zig-zags enforced more rigorously.

"If safety rather than income generation was the real priority for traffic enforcement we should see school zig-zags enforced more rigorously."

I just don't see why people think that they can cast such sweeping and insulting aspersions. It says more about the commentator than the council.

Everything has a cost/benefit equation attached. I suspect people sneering about a lack of enforcement would scream blue murder if safety officers were present, and would accuse them of being an ineffective waste of taxpayers' money if they penalised with points on the license instead of cash fines.

Cookie you're even accusing them of profiteering at the same time as saying they don't hand out enough tickets. Is this a logic bypass?

My understanding is that School Keep Clear markings have two main purposes. To ensure clear line of sight for parents and chilren crossing roads. To also ensure that if a fire ever happens Fire Appliances have reserved places to park up and operate from.

Any conscious parking in these designated areas during term time places children at risk. To park where you know many many mnay children will be crossing roads and their safety placed at risk is supremely selfish.

BUT with respect to the Goodrich School drop offs on the mini rounabout. I suspect many parents have just been caught unawares by the Dunstans Road renewals and knee jerk dropped their kids off. I'm hopeful that most have'nt consciously been thoughtless about it but probably caught be surprise and with uncertainty humans don't always think clearly about the big picture.

It's really about time some restrictions were put on people driving children to school. Car shares should be compulsory and only allowed then if the school is more than a certain distance away from the school. Difficult to police I know but something needs to be done.

"BUT with respect to the Goodrich School drop offs on the mini rounabout. I suspect many parents have just been caught unawares by the Dunstans Road renewals and knee jerk dropped their kids off. I'm hopeful that most have'nt consciously been thoughtless about it but probably caught be surprise and with uncertainty humans don't always think clearly about the big picture."

Not so, Mr B. I am at the school most Fridays and it's ALWAYS the same; people park at the roundabout and zig-zags. Unless there's a threat of a fine then it will always be. I've rightly received a notice for driving through the rye-lane bus-only 10m bit of road. Why not put a camera on all zig-zags? Surely child safety is more important that keeping bus routes clear?

I have seen several tickets isued for cars parked over the pavement drops but this tends to be in the afternoon rather than the morning.

I drive my daughter to and from school as we now live in Nunhead and I tend to park further down Dunstans road. Got caught in a jam this morning because of cars parking irresponsibly. Not only is it a safety issue with the dropped kerbs but it also means that cars have difficulty turning/passing.

Fuschia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have been fighting a bit of a campaign about

> swelfish parking at Heber, and w ehave seen both

> local police down there and also traffic wardens.

> Some parents still do whatever they can get away

> with though.

But don't you know, parents are SPECIAL! The law (or any other reasonable constraint of polite society) doesn't apply to them!

perhaps the parents have got small children, probably reluctant to do anything on time particularly on a cold morning. They are in a rush to remember school bags, coats, hats, homework, breakfast - hopefully in the right order. And then to hurry them out of the house in time to drop them off at school at appointed school time so that they don't get a telling off from the teachers. And that is all before they rush to catch the train/bus etc to work so they can be on time there and not get victimised in the workplace for having extra curricular responsibilities to manage. Parents aren't special but they do have special logistics and timetables to manage that would perhaps be made easier if the communities they lived in were a little more forgiving of their particular stresses. Just a thought.

arriety Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> perhaps the parents have got small children,

> probably reluctant to do anything on time

> particularly on a cold morning. They are in a rush

> to remember school bags, coats, hats, homework,

> breakfast - hopefully in the right order. And then

> to hurry them out of the house in time to drop

> them off at school at appointed school time so

> that they don't get a telling off from the

> teachers. And that is all before they rush to

> catch the train/bus etc to work so they can be on

> time there and not get victimised in the workplace

> for having extra curricular responsibilities to

> manage. Parents aren't special but they do have

> special logistics and timetables to manage that

> would perhaps be made easier if the communities

> they lived in were a little more forgiving of

> their particular stresses. Just a thought.

Get up earlier. Just a thought.

Yes, I've got kids etc etc

I'm not buying that excuse for one second, arriety. The same pressures apply to the majority of parents who manage to get their kids to school in time without parking selfishly. Being a bit harried is not a reason to put other people's kids at risk!

Agree no excuse for parking issue. However the frequent idea that parents have all the time in the world to dropp off kids (in my case nearly a mile there and a mile back and my kids are slow!!) is a bit much. Just because your a parent does not mean you dont have to work, get food in, take younger kids places, be back in time for builders, plumbers, play dates etc

We really dont all just sit around eating cake all day you know!

Oh dear - i know I'm going to get lynched for saying this, but I have a toddler, newborn and somnambulant OH, and in the morning i:

- get tea, milk, medicine for all

- all bathed, teethed, hair brushed and dressed (husband included!)

- bags packed (changes of clothing for toddler, life support gadgets for OH)

- get them all in a warm and defrosted car by 7-7.15

- drop OH off at E&C (from the Rye) by 7.45

- drop toddler off at nursery (in an allocated parking space) at 8am

- then go home and hit the gin bottle (wish!)

So it is possible to be organised and get out in a reasonable time so as not to impress our lifestyle on other sectors of society/demographics.

Then, I hasten to add, the car stays at home and all other journeys are done on foot.

Can't say I've noticed anyone assuming we do, Pecanpie. The reaction I usually get, if anything, is more along the lines of 'you've got your work cut out there'. (Not that I'm doubting you have, if you say you have.)