Court Lane resurfacing from 9 March

There are some disgraceful roads in the area that badly need resurfacing - it is gross to give Court Lane this spending - some sort of pre-election bribe along with the very expensive new pavements that few people actually walk along - surely by any criteria pedestrianisation/ road safety schemes on Lordship Lane - where the real mass of people walk should be given top priority.

Court Lane is in Village ward but I thought it would be useful to tell East Dulwich residents as any journeys planned along Court Lane will be disrupted.

I believe with the junction improvements of Court Lane with Eynella and in the village end means this road will have to have some resurfacing.

All works were planned at the start of the financial year ie 11 months ago.

I feel the need to clarify how roads are chosen for renewal.

Council officers obtain surveys of all roads and how well they're wearing. How a road superficially looks apparently is not a good indicator of its sub surface condition - or foundations as I think of them.

The roads are then prioritised taking into account usage, indicating when they'll could fully fail, complaints, claims, etc.

Officers then recommend the priority for spend.

This year each of Southwark's community councils was awarded ?100,000 to spend on road renewals. That equates to roughly ?33,333 for each ward. Residents in each community council area were asked to comment on roads that needed renewing.

So the vast bulk, ?3.2M, is spent in order based on technical advice from officers.

This coming financial year I'm hopeful that Lordship Lanes turn in the centre where the shops are will be renewed and await officers technical reports about this.

This isn't personal James, it's just that you're the councillor brave enough to address local issues via the edf. However specific questions seem to get swerved whenever there is a criticism of council spending. So I'll have another go. Court Lane paths have very slight traffic and didn't need relaying. The handful of residents of Court Lane that I've spoken to about it agree.

The path layers have been down there for months and are still there.

You could run all the Red army's tanks down Court Lane and the road would probably hold up, yet it is to be relayed.

How much is it all costing?

I have to say I agree that this doesn't seem to be a road obviously in need of resurfacing - and I've been completely bemused by all these new pavements on residential roads, esp. given that the busy pavement along Lordship Lane outside the shoe shop/bakery/fishmongers etc is barely passable when it rains.

All that said, I will be delighted if the work means that the second speed bump on Court Lane (from the LL end) gets replaced! They're all bad on that road but that one is a particular killer to my poor car's suspension. You practically have to come to a standstill first before going over it to avoid a sickening crunching noise... Nice new less ferocious bumps, please!

All the report says is that the highways department is using up its budget and more

It's dawning on me that challenging the council on its spending takes more time and energy than I have. Does someone else want to take up the cudgels?

I cycle up court lane every evening during winter when the park is closed. It's not the best surface around and gets a huge amount of traffic cutting through from the village to LL.

A resurface is very welcome.

And Jeremy, spot on.

Hi Steveo,

The report describes the british standards that all our roads and lighting are measured against before prioritising them.

The fact that all our roads are assessed using a british standard method of assessment I find reassuring. Clearly that standard doesn't always correspond to how a road superficially looks to you or me.

Hi Jeremy,

The principles are Southwark wide. But agree not sure how much value trying to get beyond such a report will yield.

I hereby surrender to the residents of La La Land SE22 and will hereafter leave the council free to continue to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic without hindrance from me.

Here's to their vacuous magazines, their Tooley Street ivory tower, their pointless road schemes and their slippery councillors.

Goodbye.

Stevo - I'm grateful that you are persuing issues with JB.

I can't take up the cudgels but would like to thank and support you for your questions.( which I notice are never really answered ).

I too persisted with an enquiry re common applications for Southwark secondary schools only to be ,eventually, fobbed off with a reply which completely ignored the main issues.

So be it . I don't have the intellect /time /energy to play debating games.

In a few years time people will wake up and realise what's happened.

As for priorities for roads to be resurfaced,my view is the opposite to Horsebox.Is he/she really cycling up the same road as me ?

And James -Residents in each community council area were asked to comment on roads that needed renewing.

- could you explain how they were asked ?

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As for priorities for roads to be resurfaced,my

> view is the opposite to Horsebox.Is he/she really

> cycling up the same road as me ?

He/she has just cycled up Court Lane on his/her way home. At least I think it was Court Lane...it was last time I checked.

It will most definitely benefit from much needed resurfacing. The first 10-15 metres are ok but beyond that the road is potholed all the way up to jct with Eynella and is a patchwork of varying materials. It's actually worse than I had realised, once I was paying attention to the surface.