The Barry Barry Road Race - Saturday 24th July - photos are up

Photos here

Meet at the Plough from 12 o'clock onwards for "warm ups".

Race starts at 2pm, goes down Barry Road and ends at the Clockhouse shortly after.

Please read the whole thread for full details.

Clocks soon to go back. Training to commence for the 2010 chapter of (and 3rd running)of the Barry Barry Road Race........finer details to follow in the coming months.

Plenty of time to get in shape.....

Not quite a charity run, LadyM.

More of a endurance event. For those who are new to the forum or the Barry Barry Road Race I shall briefly explain the concept:

All contestants begin at the Plough public house (in the garden)

At the commencement of the race men will consume, as fast as possible, one pint of a beer of their choice and one shot of a spirit of their choice. Women shall be allowed to consume halves.

Competitors then begin the downhill run along the length of Barry Road negotiating pedestrians, cars, buses, dogs and other urban hazards.

At the end of Barry Road all competitors find their designated drinks located in the garden of the Clock House public house.

A further pint (or half) and shot are consumed.

The winner is the man to finish his drink, at the Clock House, first.

I have had the honour of competing in both races to date and this year am determined to defeat the double champion - that quick, skinny bloke. It is unlikely though.

Last year's race details and photos (oh dear god) can be found here.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>...For those who are new

> to the forum or the Barry Barry Road Race I shall

> briefly explain...

Thank you DC.

Sounds like really good fun...but alas too much alcohol in too short a period for a hobbit.

*sad and disappointed hobbit returns to hobbit hole*

Karter Wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------

ladyM, are you going to enter for this?

I was seriously tempted...but alas far too much alcohol for me. How about you though?

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And a very impressive shirt there Mr Papadopoulos.

Don't you mean Mr. Poppadomalos?

And who's the cool cat with the groovy glasses who appears to be hogging the limelight? (Yellow NYC T-shirt)

> And who's the cool cat with the groovy glasses who

> appears to be hogging the limelight? (Yellow NYC

> T-shirt)

That would be the legendary Surfbobby - co-founder of the run itself, and fan of day-glo wear at anytime. Last seen in Australia.

Last year Help-ma-Boab, in true Barry style, posted that it would be barry if the winner of the Barry Barry run was presented with the barry barry bear by Station Master Barry of Southern Trains, the most prominent Barry on the forum to date. Then, with huge delight to all, he said yes. And a sharply dressed Barry turned up on the day to present the trophy and very kindly donate two return tickets anywhere on the Southern network. A brilliant gesture from a very kind man. Barry in fact.

For those who don't know the definition of Barry in this context - it derives from Edinburgh local slang and means "Fantastic" or "Great". As sprinkled liberally through the Irvine Welsh classic, Trainspotting.

I made up some excuse or other for not attending last year, but may actually give it a go this time. The thought of running has latterly gained some appeal.

Am thrilled to see the Big Mac maintained his Man in Black persona in the face of all the Hawaiian shirts and day-glo though - hope we can expect the same this year, especially if you are running Sean.

Just watched the video from last year. Can someone let me know how that chap managed to be a minute ahead of everyone? It is only a mile or so down the road - is he an elite athlete or was everyone else just caught up by traffic or crossing the roads?