vans blocking junctions on underhill road

this situation is now becoming ridiculous, there are a number of illegally parked vans on several of the junctions of underhill road, making it impossible to see if there is traffic coming when turning out. this is extremely dangerous as the vans dont have windows so you have no way of even seeing if something is coming and they are parked within 2-3 ft of each junction! what can be done about this?

It happens on the North Cross Road / Lordship Lane junction everyday too. Its getting worse all over East Dulwich and there will be another accident sooner rather than later if something isnt done.

Word of advice to Southwark and their parking wardens ... Id rather you ticketed these vehicles rather than lorries delivering to Iceland that park outside the Post Office ...

dimples Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> when we last had a meeting for Belvoir road area

> with tessa jowell I did bring this point up and

> said could we maybe have yellow line painted round

> each corner to stop this happening ?

...and?

fact of the matter is that people are clearly just parking where they like irrespective of the yellow lines, etc. Personally I would like the Southwark wardens to ticket the thoughtless idiots that park illegally for 10 minutes to graba paper/fags/bacon sarnie and risk others having an accident, rather than the honest working man delivering goods to a store who clearly has to park within a said distance of the store in question.

dimples Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> when we last had a meeting for Belvoir road area

> with tessa jowell I did bring this point up and

> said could we maybe have yellow line painted round

> each corner to stop this happening ?

The trouble with yellow lines is they restrict the amount of parking space available and that's just not something councils are prepared to do. Not least because of the paperwork involved (as things stand, I believe it would require a separate consultation for each junction).

The Highway Code, in a spurt of Tufty-era optimism, does recommend drivers don't park within 30 feet of a junction, but that has no legal status, and as far as I know, yellow lines round corners have never attempted such a distance, 2 or 3 feet being about normal. Such lines are rare in any case, because it's already an offence to park in front of a pedestrian-access dropped-kerb and they're about that width in any case.

The only thing that could help is if our elected representatives at Westminster did something about it the next time the Road Traffic Act needs amending. But if the past forty years are anything to go by, they won't. John Peyton, in the early '70s, seems to be the last minister to attempt anything of the sort, pledging a ban on vehicles from parking within 20 yards of a junction. This, apparently, caused so much 'hardship' to tradesfolk before it was enforced, that it was amended to nothing swiftly after. I don't see any good reason why a minister of our enlightened times wouldn't duck the same issue similarly.

Possibly so, but its not just Iceland. Fact remains, if you are a delivery driver and delivering heavy goods to a store, you cant such miles away for a parking space, you need to be close by. This will never change. However, the people parking outside Londis with the "only care about myself" attitude are parking there for 30seconds to grab cigarettes and never a day passes without the blast of car-horns, potential accidents and the like.