Cycle gap in Spurling Road

The kerb build out were placed to stop people driving the wrong way up Spurling Road. Residents told me that this happened at speed as drivers preumsbly wanted to reduce the time they spent doing this illegale maneuvre.

Rather than just place a block to illegal cars I asked that we allow cycle through as they can then reach lots of quiet roads.

I'm told that a traffic order needs to catch-up with this cycle gap. As traffic orders are a legal requirement and cost a lot of money - I was quoted typical costs inclduing pubcli consultation, legally required advertising etc of ?5,000 - I'm expecting it to be piggy backed with other traffic orders. Fortunately as the gap was included with the Goose Green rounabout changes consultation it shouldn't need a reconusltation.

That road is not appropriate for a cycle contra flow - it's a fast corner from Crawthew Grove onto Spurling Road and because it's one way cars tend to swing wide around it. I live in Crawthew Grove and I have seen cyclists glide out into the path of cars (I stopped using it after I nearly hit the car coming round the corner), it's a matter of time before a cyclist coming up Spurling Road gets knocked off - you can't see round the corner as it's a sharp bend with no visibility past the parked cars. I'm all for making cycling quicker and easier but also stopping to think whether or not it makes it safer would also be a useful consideration - its not very sustainable otherwise...

Huh - dunno about it not being good going along the wrong way - dangerous going the right way - came down there @ 08.30hrs on the bike and nearly got taken out by a car driver motorist who drive across the white line coming along Crawthew Grove from Lordship Lane without giving way to me as I came down the slope towards Spurling Road - good thing my brakes worked!