Nurse Gillespie

The Kings Arms as it was closed and was redeveloped as the block of flats as it is now.

The open air swimming baths was run by Southwark Council who decided to close it, it was filled in and became the green space it is now. The centre of the fountain I think is still there.

About 1984 it closed. The blue swimming pool steps are still to be seen. If you really are interested in local history join The Peckham Society and also read John Beasley's books. They cover all these subjects and much, much more and I do not profit from advertising him or his books.

Thanks for yout help, it is much appreciated. It's just that I remembre swimming there in 1974 and in the 1050s and just thought it was a stunning pool. I couldn't believe some vandal had destroyed it. Thanks f or the info about the books, will certainly take a look.

Cathy

It was not vandalised so much as Southwark Council could not afford to keep the facility open.

Big shame but there we are.

The Peckham Society is great and the magazine won an award for the best local information and news magazine in the country.

Only about ?4 a year. John Beasley is the editor.

Half the membership live out of London and it's their way of keeping in touch and remembering things as they were (not always better, of course!)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• That's a good idea smiley blue , if you or anyone else comes across petitions to end these despicable acts of cruelty to defenceless animals please put on here or start a new thread if you please so we can sign the petition and add our objections to this , I would also like to thank all of you the people for reading these messages and adding your voices to this cruelty,  maybe we can end it 
    • Malumbu, by that measure are police efforts to cut down on anti-social driving by issuing tickets and fines a token effort as well? Surely punitive measures for cyclists breaking the rules will encourage them not to break the rules again? A bit like when you got stopped and taken into the cab of an HGV. The police are currently using that tactic to show those who break the rules cycling that it might lead them to being hit by a lorry due to the driver's having limited vision - the cycling equivalent of a speed awareness course for drivers.    When they stopped you was it because you had broken a rule or was it just more of an education programme and they asked you to take a look and did it change your cycling behaviour in any way? As I said previously there are those who break the rules on cycling out of ignorance (and those out of arrogance) and I am sure they are using HGVs to educate those in the ignorance category and then hitting those in the arrogance category with the PCNs.    
    • Good that PETA is on it but can we add our voices to the fight against this horrible practice? I’m still shocked! A petition maybe? Happy to raise to the RSPCA but don’t want to duplicate efforts. I’ve signed campaigns from RSPCA before which sends it directly to your councillor
    • Yes, I'm aware of that. I believe the brood was five to begin with. However they are almost adult size now so not the prey of rats any longer. 
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In