Incident on Peckham Rye/Nunhead (hit while cycling)

I wanted to make the forum aware of an incident that I became involved in yesterday evening while cycling home. This was about 10pm on the east side of Peckham Rye Park heading towards Nunhead. I was on my bike returning from five-a-side football when I passed a teenager (who on reflection was walking very close to the outside of the pavement), as I passed he drew his hand up and hit me across the arm with a stick. I did not have any time to react and as it was quite dark I did not see the stick in his had so had no time to swerve or avoid the blow. I immediately stopped and dismounted and shouted at the teen to stop. He entered the entrance of Waveney estate and was bating me to follow. There was another person hanging around by the entrance and there was a definite intimation that there was an ambush of some sort waiting if I pursued him further. In any case I grabbed my bike chain and asked fairly politely (all things considered) for him to stay where he was and that I'd be happy for him to attempt another swing of his stick. Needless to say (after some fairly obscene gestures and comments about my mother) he ran off into the estate like the coward he undoubtedly is.

My worry is that this is a very busy cycle route for many people and I'm sure this is not the first time this particular individual has attempted to hit someone cycling past. If you are cycling up that way please be aware of anyone walking close to the edge of the pavement. There are usually plenty of people around so either dismount and approach someone who looks reasonably trustful or if safe to do so move out to the other side of the road.

I reported it by email last night to the police. I agree it's worth logging it as presumably they base policing decisions etc on crime stats. I think something should also be done about the lighting on the bike route through Peckham Rye Park - feel nervous about that section more than the road, even after this incident.

I agree with you, this stretch down towards Stuart Road has poor street lighting. I walk down here most nights, never had a problem at the Waveney estate end. The other end outside the Rye Hill Tenants association building is a lot more rowdy on some nights but again never had a problem. I think as the nights get warmer and clearer there seems to be a lot more issues with antisocial behaviour.

Oh dear God paddykelly...they were probably "bike muggers"...and it happens from time to time...and not just in ED/Peckham. I hope you are alright. You were very brave to challenge...I certainly wouldn't have...though I might well have shouted something extremely obscene once away and pedalling at double quick speed.

Thanks for making us aware. I'll just add a couple of other things to watch for (these have happened to me).

(1) On Court Lane last year, a couple of guys hang around a lamp-post to which a rope is tied. The rope lies along the ground across the road to the other side at the feet of a further couple of guys. When a cyclist approaches the guys with the loose end of rope raise the rope sharply so as to cause the cyclist to crash into it, at which point they steal your bike, bag, and anything else of value. I was very fortunate, although I did not see the rope until the very last second, I saw the (four) guys - two on each side of the road. My gut feeling told me that something was not quite right so I planned to stop short of them by about 10 feet and do a quick about-turn. Fortunately I managed it, in time to see the rope get raised...I got away safely. They didn't bother chasing me - thank God.

(2) On John Ruskin Street, a group of guys threw a car hubcap into the direct path of my front wheel presumably with the intention that I should go over. Again, someone was looking over me, and I managed to lift the bike over the missile as I continued cycling. But it frightened the hell out of me.

Other than that, cyclists just be beware of things like car drivers throwing the contents of their ashtrays at you, bus passengers throwing half consumed bottles of e.g. coke from the upper deck of buses, car drivers spitting at you, and more recently, kids throwing apples or snowballs at you. Fortunately none of these things occur on a regular basis and I would not let them stop you cycling - besides, I think far better to be on two wheels than on two feet when such "undesirables" are about.

Take care paddykelly, and all you other cyclists out there. And, please if you don't already, stick to the Highway Code - nothing irritates car drivers and pedestrians more than seeing cyclists behave as though they are above the law.

Mx

Domitianus wrote:- A suitable detterent might be to fit a set of Boudicae-style blades to the wheels of your bike. Chop the little b***ards legs off - that'll learn them!

I think MLteenie should be informed of this new potential 'line' for his bicycle fixing and repair business, it has great possibilities Dom.

Nasty incident. Well done for challenging the little gimp.

My girlfriend was kicked in the leg while cycling the other day - in that funny kind of industrial estate between Tower Bridge and the A2, round the back of Tesco.

She managed to carry on cycling, just.

Report it to the police. A mate and I were swapping tales of how many times we've filled in the Met's 20 page form (once for me, thrice for him), but do do it because although naff all will happen in all likelihood I still believe that you shouldn't just shrug your shoulders and sink to the low standards of the Met's systems/investigations. By low standards I'm talking about their inability to investigate any of the incidents my mate as involved in as a cyclist, despite all being at major junctions and so on CCTV. What's the point of CCTV if no one's ever bothering to look at it?

That cycle route round the back of Tesco up to Tower bridge road with DHL bases etc...

is now off my route!!

Second time tonight, 3 little (quite tall actually) twunts tried to nick my bike.....

2 white kids and one black kid, hang around by the road, then run out at you just as your passing.

For some bizarre reason i decided to speed up and head for them??!!!

It worked.... seemed to freak'em out a little and they backed off looking confused.

Lucky me!

Same thing, same kids, last week only later in the evening.

Will be avoiding that route for a while now.

Ride safe ya'll

---------------

Medley Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nasty incident. Well done for challenging the

> little gimp.

>

> My girlfriend was kicked in the leg while cycling

> the other day - in that funny kind of industrial

> estate between Tower Bridge and the A2, round the

> back of Tesco.

>

> She managed to carry on cycling, just.

>

> Report it to the police. A mate and I were

> swapping tales of how many times we've filled in

> the Met's 20 page form (once for me, thrice for

> him), but do do it because although naff all will

> happen in all likelihood I still believe that you

> shouldn't just shrug your shoulders and sink to

> the low standards of the Met's

> systems/investigations. By low standards I'm

> talking about their inability to investigate any

> of the incidents my mate as involved in as a

> cyclist, despite all being at major junctions and

> so on CCTV. What's the point of CCTV if no one's

> ever bothering to look at it?

Medley/Pearson, just wondering if you reported these attacks to the police. I have a vested interest as I cycle through this area on my commute and would hope the rozzers are on the lookout and hopefully pull the little scrotes.

^ sadly not... i can't be bothered as they won't be bothered either......facto

As regards statistics..... we'll they lie and cheat they're way through those as well...

Sorry for sounding negative :(

Instead, i shall bring my trusty 'D-Lock' with me :)

revenge may be sweet should the chance arrive....

Pearson that's ridiculous, sorry but it is.

If everyone reported all such crimes and incidents like this then the police would know to target resources.

Come along to the local Police Ward panel and tell them your views, but please report it. You can even report it online.

Just ring this number and file a complaint PearsonL: 0300 123 1212

I get abuse and dangerous driving from time to time when I'm on my bike and I have only just recently started reporting it. I dreaded the whole process but it's very easy. Five mins tops.

That's a non-emergency number. If it was me, in the situation you were in, I would dial 999 no hesitation. Coppers can decide if they need to take further action and can look out for trouble makers, I would let them make the call. I'm betting they'd have a good idea of who the scrotes are anyway.

They will react if required. I reported someone who tried rather feebably to nick my bike once on that number and they then referred it to Peckham Police station to see if they could find the person.

Pearson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ^hmmm cool, that seems very handy number to have.

> Will give it a go.

>

> Is it the kind of number where they can react

> immediately to a situation if they feel it's

> appropriate, or do they just record incidents?

>

> Thanks Sandperson

Terrible PaddyKelly, basically you've got a couple of options in my view. Pop a wheelie or two and knock'em over or train a couple of small chihuaha like dogs to attack them.

Make sure the small dogs are concealed in a pannier on the rear of the cycle and if such an incident should happen again, pull a makeshift cord (I'll email you the PDF instructions)which will release the dogs, giving the assailants an unnerving

surprise... good luck and go get 'em!!

Pearson

if something has happened at the same place more than once then thats a pattern can work with. i would put money on it that if you told the local safer neighbourhood team the youths description they will know them. these kids stick out somewhat. give the old bill a chance before you condemn them to hell. if you dont report it you can hardly complain when it happens again.