Marmora/Mundania/Therapia road area - what's it like?

We currently live a bit downhill from the Plough but we may move to one of the roads off Forest Hill road mentioned in the subject line. The streets look nice to me, the houses seem quite big and there's good access to parks/shops/transport but I wonder what it's actually like to live there - is it a nice neighbourhood? I guess it's not that different from our current area but I wonder if there's anything else you can add about living there (kids, community, safety etc).

Thanks for anything you think may be worth sharing!

I like it - fantastic views over the rooftops if you have a house / flat looking to the North.

Forest Hill Rd has useful local amenities - good Indian (Omrith), good late night shop ("The Turkish"), cash machines, two pubs (Herne - good for families & food) The Forest Hill Tavern (less good in my opinion but suits younger sports watching types), good VFM, but not "gourmet" local Italian (Si Mangia - see threads about it on EDF).

Easy walk / cycle to Lordship Lane for all other needs.

Excellent Peckham Rye PArk just 200 yards away.

Housing stock either good Victorian or sound 1930's properties - space and garden that would cost ?750K in the Village would be ?500K in the area.

I agree with Marmora Man........your also a stone throw away from Brenchly Gardens and One Tree Hill and walking distance to Pekham Rye Park.

The three roads mentioned are also in the catchment are for Fairlawn Primary School. There is also the Harris Boys Academy opening in September. The Harris Girls school isn't far either and you can use their sports facilities.

I'd add - don't know about schools but from security / community aspect - I've always found it sound. I know a number of neighbours to talk to or, at least, say hello as we pass in the street. Not aware of any security issues - certainly not a hot spot for crime that I'm aware (have lived here 6 years).

Only downside I can think of are a certain number of incontinent dogs and inconsiderate owners.

We have been resident in the area for 10 years and don't feel the need to look elsewhere. I love being so close to the park and One Tree Hill for the 'wilderness experience'. It's a fairly mixed community with flats and whole houses on each street. I'd say a quite a few children but not baby central. Good range of shops and an excellent bus route 63. Honor Oak park station is within walking distance although that would be better if the 63 bus went over the hill.

I was unsure whether we were in the catchment area for Fairlawn. On one of the school threads I was told that it didn't reach as far as Therapia!

I have always felt very safe and haven't been aware of any crime problems. Dog mess seems to be a problem on Forest Hill Road but not so much on the side streets I would say.

Most of the houses have good sized gardens which can be harder to find closer to Lordship Lane.

We moved a couple months ago from pretty much the same area down to Marmora Rd, liking it so far, nice and quiet with plenty of green space around and nice local shops, and parking never seems to be a problem if you happen to have a car.

I've lived in the area for 4 years and think it's great - always feels very safe and the views toward the city are amazing, particularly at night.

"the Turkish" is a tremendous shop, always with a huge amount of fresh fruit and vegetables. Omrith and Si Mangia are great too, and having the co-op, the barbers and the post office at the bottom of the road is very handy too.

Personally I think it's one of the best parts of ED (well obviously I'am biased!), great neighbours, peaceful yet easy to get down to LL and lovely shops and restaurants such as Omrith, wonderful Turkish shop and Herne Tavern. Also so nice and easy to get to Peckham Rye Park or Brenchley Gardens and One Tree Hill for walks, so easy to roll home on the no.63 bus and also to walk to Honor Oak Park station and be in Bond St within thirty minutes or so door to door. Agree with all my neighbours above! BTW neighbours kids are at Fairlawn if that helps...

We love it here. Good range of shops, close to park, nice sense of community in the road with a wide range of different types of people. There was a street party last year attended by most of the people on the road, with old photos of the street, lots of food, band, face painting, prizes for oldest and youngest resident etc. The plan is to do the same each year. Lots of children on our road go to St Anthonys. Happy to hear that we are in the catchment for Fairlawn too as we'll be thinking about schools in a couple of years. Extending the 63 bus route would be a big advantage.

Fairlawn is a great school ,and speaking as a longterm resident of SE22 ,if I could choose I'd move up to Marmora area if I could .

Check out how close you need to be to Fairlawn - sure Lewisham must have details on line about distance from school for last intake.

Not so sure about this area being good for secondary schools though.

But note that you may not still be living here then.

Wasn't there information on here about there being some sort of 'black hole' for schools area around there - or was that just the Gardens area? I love the area mentioned and would love to be closer to the park.

For my very city family it was like moving out to the country. It's probably safer to move here once your kids are already settled in a school as the closest schools are so popular that you might not get in right away. The 1930's places are totally under rated, they have real charm, grandeur, large gardens and proper foundations. They are also probably 200k cheaper than their older rivals.

I live on FHR/Mundania Rd junction and am a fan of the area and those streets. The FHR shops are all I need for most things, the park is very close by, Honor Oak Park (Overground arriving in May or at least by the summer) is an easy enough walk, over the wilds (for London) of One Tree Hill. Can't comment on schools. Parking never a prob.

I called Fairlawn a few months ago and was told that Mundania, Shelbury etc are too far away for their catchment area now. Though I also heard from someone that a little boy from one of those roads got in this year, so who knows...

How long does it take to walk to Lordship Lane from the Therapia/Mundania area? Are there any buses that go to Catford, or central London (I know the 63 goes to Kings X)?

I've been looking for a flat at the Goose Green end of East Dulwich; we use East D. and Denmark Hill stations and I will soon depend on the 185 bus to Catford, so the north end of East Dulwich is perfect. But prices/availability keep pushing us further and further toward Forest Hill Road... would one feel isolated round there, and would transport/commuting be a hassle? (We're a couple, no kids, friends in the area, reasonably sociable - and looking to keep our zone 1-2 travelcards so buses are important!)

genw - it's not the arctic out here you know! No need to feel isolated - see earlier posts. I can walk to LL in 15 mins or bike in 5. WE have all the usual facilities + Peckham Rye and Peckham Rye PArk right on the doorstep. I work all over the show but can get pretty much anywhere in london easily by bus, via Elephant & Castle. Plus, as has been pointed out the LT overground line will be running from Honor Oak soon

Hehe, I know! It's very pretty round there... it's just that while my boyfriend drives, I don't so I'm thinking about everything in distances on foot, and TFL tells me there isn't a bus that goes directly to Catford from Forest Hill Road, so I'm picturing the walk to/from Lordship Lane (from the sleeping-through-alarm-clock and coming-home-on-my-own-late-at-night scenarios).