Views from ED and roof terraces

bil

1. Does anyone have a roof terrace in ED? has anyone encountered problems trying to get planning for one? In the future I would like to have one because the views from the back of my house, over central London, are incredible.

2. For all those that also have the same views (some will be better than mine) I have been trying to decipher the landmarks as some are easier to identify than others..what is the temple-like building with blue/grey domes? (I think it is near denmark or dog kennel hill but not sure) and a large vicorian estate with red roof tops near the Strata in elephant and castle. I can identify tower bridge, houses of parliament & big ben, wembley arch, city hall, BT tower, millenium wheel, gherkin, strata...can a

can't see greenwich dome or canary wharf from my window.

what else can people see?

I used to live at the northern end of Forest Hill, and there was a tower block with a fantastic view across London. Here's a panorama I took -

http://www.willfox.com/portfolio/visualisation/londonskyline2007.htm

Here's the same view in 2012. I've photoshopped all the new skyscrapers planned for the City, Canary Wharf, etc. including the Shard of Glass currently being built at London Bridge -

http://www.willfox.com/portfolio/visualisation/londonskyline2012.htm

Willfox that is a great piece of work you have done. Hugely impressed. AND I can see my flat too! The photos from my flat I posted on a similar thread a while ago, called something like Views from your house.

I ride round London quite a bit and also frequent skyscrapers.com. Love London!

Thanks Jeremy and PeckhamRose.

My pic was featured in the Standard. There's an annotated version here, showing the project names and heights:

http://www.willfox.com/portfolio/visualisation/eveningstandard.htm

The Shard (London Bridge Tower) is the one to watch. It will be taller than the Eiffel Tower! Here's the official website...

http://www.shardlondonbridge.com

... and a live webcam, showing the construction. Its currently about 20 floors up (will be 87 when finished) -

http://www.siteeyelive.com/monitor/shard/camputer64.jpg

Marmora Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have a great view from my roof terrace. I made a

> cut and paste map of London by chopping up OS maps

> and centrering it on my house. With map and

> compass I can identify most landmarks.

We can see the Wembley Arch to the NW and Canary Wharf & almost the Millennium Dome to the East - with everything in between - St Pauls, BT TOwer, Millennium Wheel, Big Ben tower, WEstminster Tower and so on. It was one of the reasons I bought the house and one of the places I always take friends and visitors. Sitting up there of a summer's evening with cold wine and a small barbeque is just great.

Mamora Man: I like your thinking. OS map and compass; the tried and tested way. I was going to try google earth because using aerial view on multi and google maps hasn't been very successful. Did you build your roof terrace or was it already in place? does anyone else on your road have one?

wjfox: pictures are great and the photoshop map is ace.

I know the salvation army building is brown with a tower and looks a little bit like the baltic gallery in newcastle. so I think dome temple building is probably dulwich hospital (saw picture on flickr)

The views are never boring and can be seen from dawsons hill if anyone hasn't seen them before.

hopefully i will win the lottery and build my roof terrace ...one day.

i am looking forward to seeing the Shard grow in size. i will also try to identify it over the weekend.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> I can see the back garden and some swings and

> slides.

Your lucky i can see Foxtons and a dozen curry houses...

bil Wrote:

> Mamora Man: I like your thinking. OS map and

> compass; the tried and tested way. I was going to

> try google earth because using aerial view on

> multi and google maps hasn't been very successful.

> Did you build your roof terrace or was it already

> in place? does anyone else on your road have one?

Roof terrace inherited with house. Almost everyone with access to roof in even numbered houses on Marmora Road have su h views and most have a roof garden / terrace.

bil Wrote:

> Mamora Man: I like your thinking. OS map and

> compass; the tried and tested way. I was going to

> try google earth because using aerial view on

> multi and google maps hasn't been very successful.

> Did you build your roof terrace or was it already

> in place? does anyone else on your road have one?

Roof terrace inherited with house. Almost everyone with access to roof in even numbered houses on Marmora Road have su h views and most have a roof garden / terrace.

Not sure if the rules have changed but I built a roof terrace on the top of the flat roof of the downstairs flat when I lived in Wandsworth. It didn't need planning permission because it was a wooden structure and therefore deemed removable, or not permanent.

puzzled Wrote:

> will, your pictures are great. did you take them

> from what we call the cruise liner building?

Thanks. My pano was taken from this building:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=canonbie+road,+se23&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.850108,33.881836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Canonbie+Rd,+London+SE23,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.447654,-0.055512&spn=0.000477,0.001545&t=h&z=20