Constituency Maps

Hello

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a current constituency map for Dulwich and Norwood / Peckham and Camberwell.

The boundaries are being / have been amended and there is a wealth of conflicting information on the net.

Many Thanks

Southwark's website has a maps tab. The ideas great, unfortunately they didn't think it through when it comes to content and actual usability of the maps. For example, there's no labelling of the Council Wards or Parliamentary Constituencies, but if you know roughly the shape you're looking for you can then zoom in to see the details of the boundaries.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200212/egovernment/1370/interactive_maps

If it helps, Dulwich and West Norwood includes the local Southwark wards of East Dulwich, Village and College. All the others down this way are in Camberwell & Peckham.

I've noticed several "email the candidates" type web sites telling me I'm in the wrong constituency because they haven't got the new boundaries :-S

Shaw74 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Try this one. It's Ordnance Survey Election maps.

> It seems to work quite well.

> http://www.election-maps.co.uk/index.jsp

Thanks for this. But it isn?t at all easy to see the actual constituency boundaries as it is so close up and where they join the next constituency it is very unclear what is what. Personally I think they are really not fit for purpose and it is astonishing that there isn?t an official decent digital map service on constituency boundaries!

Hi Eileen,

The Ordnance Survey Election maps seem to show the boundaries quite clearly, here they are showing the boundaries around Goose Green (as an example). You can also see the settings I've used on the left to achieve this, I hope it helps.

boundary2.jpg

boundary1.jpg

Thanks Mark. But it is frustrating that it doesn't seem to allow us to zoom in and out and see the constituency as a whole in this setting as well as this detail.

Mark Wrote:

> Hi Eileen,

>

> The Ordnance Survey Election maps seem to show the

> boundaries quite clearly, here they are showing

> the boundaries around Goose Green (as an example).

> You can also see the settings I've used on the

> left to achieve this, I hope it helps.

>

> http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/images/bou

> ndary2.jpg

>

> http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/images/bou

> ndary1.jpg

Burbage Wrote:

> http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm70

> /7032/7032_iii.asp

> p.69 on the PDF (p.67 shows the old boundaries)

Thanks - Yes but it is the new constituency boundaries we need all in one place with ward boundaries as well. It is possible, but seems the authorities (ie Ordnance Survey and other Govt Depts.) haven?t got their act together. Ridiculous. Is it part of our equivalent of the US mess with hanging chads? A really important part of our democratic process being spoilt by poor mechanics.

A really important part of our democratic process being spoilt by poor mechanics.

It's probably about all you can expect from them, given their lack lustre performance as a government who do not bare close scrutiny to their many other, though far more important, misdemeanours.

SO... looks like I'm in Peckham and camberwell... good old Harriet 'you know where to find me' Harmen. Seeing as I'm currently avoiding the door to political candidates I just wondered if anyone was slightly more in touch with the figures as to whether it is only her who stands and chance or if the lib dems were ahead in the area or......

I'm basically voting for whoever is going to get in that isn't a tory...thanks!

Hi mrs f,

The last parliamentary elections HH well ahead, she got 65.3% of the vote, Lib Dems 18.8%, Tories 9.8%. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/vote2005/html/115.stm

Boundary changes should erode that. Also, Lib Dem fighting Labour to win Peckham Rye, Livesey and Peckham wards which should see big boost for Lib Dems.

Funny leaflets from Tories claiming its between Labour and Tories. Bumped into one of the local Tory councillor candidates who was sure they could overturn HH. He was very sweet - if clearly misguided.

Electoral Calculas is predicting HH wins http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/ with 53.8%, Lib Dems 19.6%, Tories 15.3%. Guess they think this due to boundary changes.

Thanks James, I really appreciate you responding

Can I also ask about wards, I'm in south Camberwell ward, so who is currently councillor here? Are they in a strong position currently?

Sorry to ask all of this but I don't actually know where to find this information

thanks again

Hi mrs f,

Two of your the South Camberwell ward councillors are from the Labour Party - Veronica Ward and Peter John (Southwark Labour Party leader) and one the Green Party Jenny Jones.

I don't believe the Green Party are really trying to expand in South Camberwell as little evidence of leaflets, letters or canvassing. Also, not so much from the Labour Party. At one point the Tories were talking about making it a target but no evidence this is happening. This election will seem more Lib Dem literature going out in this ward than ever before.

My guess is the Labour Party expect the increased parliamentary turnout to mean they'll cruise home and take all three local councillor seats in South Camberwell.

Hi mrs f,

Welcome to South Camberwell.

I'm sorry if my fellow candidates and I have not yet met you when we've been on the campaign trail or during one of our monthly mobile surgeries! Please let me know if there are any issues which you would like Stephen, Veronica or myself to look into.

Regards,

Peter John

Seems like I'm in the Harmy as well. That means I have to choose between the LibDems, the Tories and the Greens.

I might just vote for the LibDem, Columba Blango, because that just has to be the coolest name for an MP, ever...

• 2 weeks later...

Presumably that Tory was 'misguided' in the same way that the Lib Dems are, claiming that only they can beat Labour in Dulwich and West Norwood?

FACT (according to the BBC Website): after the boundary changes Labour 1st, Conservative 2nd, Lib Dems 3rd in 2005 election.

FACT (according to Southwark and Lambeth Council websites): Lib Dems in 4th places in 4 out of 8 wards in 2006 local elections.

Strikes me that it's a bit of a case of damned if you do (people on here complaining about so much stuff from the Lib Dems) and damned if you don't (complaints about lack of stuff from the Conservatives)

Personally, I've found going on the party websites and the BBC much more informative than any of the leaflets!