Shread your docs - Paper recycling bags are been rifled through at night

Hill

Last night between 23.30-midnight two men were systematically going through the paper recyling in Friern Rood, as Tuesday is collection day most people put their bags out on Monday night. They were wearing high viz jackets using rubbish pincer sticks and torches to rummmage. I was woken up by the sound of the lids being taken off boxes as they looked through for paper. I've reported this to the police but suggest everyone makes sure they shread anything that could lead to identify theft.

Sounds very dodgy.

All the paper recycling bags were removed from our street (Heber Road) last week. I assumed they were removed on collection day & just not being replaced. I'd really like mine back if the council collection guys didn't take it!

Hill Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ... two men ... wearing high viz jackets

> using rubbish pincer sticks and torches to rummmage.

> I've reported this to the police ...

Just as likely it was a covert criminal intelligence operation carried out by undercover police officers. They often trawl through suspects' trash bins looking for evidence.

HAL9000 Wrote:

>

> Just as likely it was a covert criminal

> intelligence operation carried out by undercover

> police officers. They often trawl through

> suspects' trash bins looking for evidence.

I'd think if that was the case they'd take the whole bag and leave an empty one in it's place rather than risk tipping off someone they're investigating by going through their stuff outside their house.

We had a full bag nicked one night. I guessed it was for id theft but I shred anything with name and address on anyway just in case it has other information on it that is useful

Recycling. They prefer that loose shredding is not put in the bag as it gos everywhere when they tip it into the lorry. I have been advised to pack it is a paper bag or box and put it in the bag.

I never get round to putting mine in the compost as by the time I remember to empty it the cleaner has already binned it (she is very good at cleaning but not good at recycling)

EDKiwi Wrote:

> HAL9000 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> > police ... often trawl through

> > suspects' trash bins looking for evidence.

>

> I'd think if that was the case they'd take the

> whole bag and leave an empty one in it's place

> rather than risk tipping off someone they're

> investigating by going through their stuff outside

> their house.

True - but that would also apply to identity thieves, I guess.

I have read of cases where criminals dump their trash some distance from their own homes in order to thwart surveillance so the police might have to trawl around looking for the right bags.

Dumpster diving is quite popular with private detectives, too.

KalamityKel Wrote:

> Steve you can recycle shredded paper (if you don't

> have a compost). So it would be the blue bag (tu)

Sorry you can't recycle shredded paper because to recycle paper you need full fibres in the paper and shredding cuts them too small to be able to make them stick together again after they are pulped.

ImpetuousVrouw Wrote:

> KalamityKel Wrote:

> -----

> > Steve you can recycle shredded paper (if you

> don't

> > have a compost). So it would be the blue bag

> (tu)

>

>

> Sorry you can't recycle shredded paper because to

> recycle paper you need full fibres in the paper

> and shredding cuts them too small to be able to

> make them stick together again after they are

> pulped.

Southwark recycling offers to collect shredded paper if placed in a paper bag/envelope and popped in the blue bag. If they cant recycle it then what happens to it eh?

Recycling techniques change with time you know...

HAL9000 Wrote:

> EDKiwi Wrote:

> -----

> > HAL9000 Wrote:

> >

>

> > > police ... often trawl through

> > > suspects' trash bins looking for evidence.

> >

> > I'd think if that was the case they'd take the

> > whole bag and leave an empty one in it's place

> > rather than risk tipping off someone they're

> > investigating by going through their stuff

> outside

> > their house.

>

> True - but that would also apply to identity

> thieves, I guess.

>

> I have read of cases where criminals dump their

> trash some distance from their own homes in order

> to thwart surveillance so the police might have to

> trawl around looking for the right bags.

>

> Dumpster diving is quite popular with private

> detectives, too.

Very true, guess I should have also qualified that with any cop, or ID theif for that matter, with half a brain would take the whole bag.

I guess the paper recyling bags are an ID theives dream (if the bags owner doesn't shred their stuff).

Could these chaps be council inspectors making sure that people are recycling the right stuff? That would be my conclusion if two people in high vis jackets using the right tools were noisily going through everyone's recycling.

Could these chaps be council inspectors

A group of 4 people in Southwark Council Hi Vis jackets with clipboards are (or were 20 minutes ago) in Underhill Road calling on houses and asking (perfectly reasonable) questions about recycling - i.e. 'is everything working OK?'; 'Do you have dividers for your box?';'Do you know about rewards schemes'; 'Do you know about penalties?' - maybe there is some sort of recycling blitz on - maybe James could advise?