Car sales on Lordship Lane

This shop has an extensive, long and unhappy casefile with Southwark Council enforcement officers. The immediate land outside the shop is owned by the shop. Selling cars in this way is not normally allowed. How the shop owner can afford a shop that doesn't appear to trade is a great mystery.

The forecourt should have become a right of way but wasn't enforced as such before I became a councillor - hence the ridiculous looking fencing.

Things do appear to have recently got worse.

I'll ask council officers to investigate and hope to resolve.

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> He sells cars. It?s part of his business. The

> section of pavement in front of his shop is his. I

> don?t think there is anything to stop him from

> putting a car up for sale on it.

Agreed, but he doesn't have the right to drive across the bit of pavement which isn't his, to park the car there in the first place.

njc97 Wrote:

> Siduhe - why wouldn't he be allowed to drive over

> the pavement?

Its illegal.

From the Highway Code:

You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency.

[Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & RTA 1988 sect 34]

We've been down this path before (probably in the archived forum section that is no longer searchable). Yes an offence to have driven onto the pavement but still have to proove he did it. Given the number of helicopters above East Dulwich he might just as easily have dropped it in from above.

Its not lawful to gain access to property via a pavement unless you own the freehold which abuts to it, or you have acquired a legal right of access. They don't (I assume - I think the remainder of the pavement is Council owned).

He is just a normal person obviously feeling the strain of the credit crunch and is selling a few cars to earn a bit of extra cash if he has a ltd company he can trade and do a lot of things once you have a company

Could you please explain why it gets on your nerves this i can not understand is it that it puts the NEW POSH LORDSHIP LANE image out

i am so glad i do not live in dulwich as there are so many stuck up posh folk who have now seemed to have taken residence in the area

over priced pubs which sell overpriced food which in my eyes is not great value for money

over priced fruit an veg shops butchers fish mongers

i was born in dulwich and it has now changed to much

I agree with Mellors - it's not lawful access unless you have permission to cross the Council-owned bit of pavement.

I looked at this for someone else on the forum recently - my basic understanding is:

s34 of the Road Traffic Act prohibits the driving of motor vehicles on anything that isn't a road (and specifically mentions driving on footpaths).

Some bright people figured out s34 only applied to "driving" cars across pavements to park, so started pushing their cars across to try and get round strict wording of the legislation. The result was a TMO which applies across all of London (as far as I know) which makes it an offence for any motor vehicle to park or to move a vehicle across a pathway for the purposes of parking (unless it is specifically exempted and signs indicate that you may park partially or wholly on the footway or there is a lawful access such as a drop kerb).

In short, unless he can show he picked up the car and dropped it into place without going across the rest of the pavement, he's committed an offence.

So...

On another thread someone was talking about the cost of dropping a kerb outside their house, and someone proposed a bit of pipe or wood as doing a reasonable job to save a grand.

However, according to this, unless he has a dropped kerb, transiting the pathway to park his car is illegal anyway?

tiger ranks Wrote:

> He is just a normal person obviously feeling the

> strain of the credit crunch and is selling a few

> cars to earn a bit of extra cash if he has a ltd

> company he can trade and do a lot of things once

> you have a company

>

> Could you please explain why it gets on your

> nerves this i can not understand is it that it

> puts the NEW POSH LORDSHIP LANE image out

>

> i am so glad i do not live in dulwich as there are

> so many stuck up posh folk who have now seemed to

> have taken residence in the area

>

> over priced pubs which sell overpriced food which

> in my eyes is not great value for money

> over priced fruit an veg shops butchers fish

> mongers

>

> i was born in dulwich and it has now changed to

> much

I object to him blocking up one of the parking bays on Lordship lane...nothing to posh Lordship Lane, and believe me I'm not posh.

we're all feeling the strain during the crunch but that doesn't mean we can monopolize the highway to make a few quid.

he's got a shop, try selling some of the stock his lease allows, because I bet he hasn't got permission for car sales

It does look so bizarre though. One random (pretty crap) car on the pavement outside a shop on a narrowish pavement (can't remember what was being sold -i have been past a few times). It isn't a car lot and i don't think the car being there is going to make it sell faster. can you imagine if other shops did the same?

I don't think it has anything to do with "poshness" though. Even if it was a mclaren or ferrari, it would be inappropriate parked there. Actually a ferrari would be larger and would encroach on the pavement.

i don't know , i sat opposite a young lady in the cafe costa having a nice cup of tea , when she decided it was time to feed her baby, she struggled to get it going as i stirred my tea glancing from natural milk bottle , to the bargain across the way for ?595 ! all strangely inappropriate but charming none the less.

If the guy owns the land, then he is allowed to put anything he likes on it, ur all lucky he hasn't parked a big pile of steaming shit there... I would just to piss you all off.

This shop reaks of being a front to me, I'd be interested to see what he is putting through the books. I'd hazzard a guess that whatever it is, it was never 'sold' from those premises and probably never existed in the first place.

ruffers Wrote:

> Does he actually sell hi-fi? Seem to remember he

> had stuff piled outside a while back at cheapo

> prices.

Seems to still sell hi-fi stuff, I always thought there wasn't much in the place until I ventured inside one day. He's got quite a bit of kit in there, was quite surprised. Looked all above board to me, I was only after an audio cable but he was very helpful.