Has anyone lost a bird?

It will probably get eaten up or starve poor thing, unless someone catches it and gives it a temporary home.

When was little I acquired a white budgie by catching it in the back garden where it was moping about. Tried to find out whose it was but no luck, so had a new pet. It was already domesticated and did get to stretch its wings in the house sometimes. Happy days.

On holiday one year we were walking along the beach, at Hopton I saw what I thought was a black ball so I went to kick it but it moved slightly looking closer I saw that it was a large bird covered in black oil, I picked it up and put some tissues around it and took it back to the chalet. Going to the camp shop I asked for some cleaning preparation that would be suitable to clean the bird .The assistant said it would be better to rub margarine into its fathers then flour to absorb the oil. We did get the bird reasonably clean, but it sicked up black oil and passed a lot through him, it was now obvious that it was a Guillemot and had been in contact with the oil from the wrecked oil Tanker. My thoughts were to feed it we tried cat food but was told it would only eat fresh fish so we went to Lowestoft to buy some leaving the bird in our chalet, on return the Chalet maid had called and seen the bird but frightened of it left without doing a clean. Guilly as we called it became slightly better but we were told that the oil would have burnt it intestines, it used to venture out of the chalet and was admired by other campers.

When our holiday was up we had the think of returning it to the sea, early morning we placed it in the waves and it swam out into the receding tide, it was sinking as it went, the feathers no longer had a air cavity between its body and the feathers as they had all natural oils removed. It managed to get back to where we were exhausted and lay on its side at our feet.

We decided to bring it back to Lordship Lane where we could continue to treat it, it was quite tame so I put it loose in the back of my small van, I set off but as I came to any roundabout or bend the standing bird would be shuffled from one side to another.

At one bend I was worried so looked in my internal mirror to see if it was all right, it was but looking out of the rear window the following car passengers must have seen its movement from one side to the other, and were laughing. It settled down for the journey.

We were living in the top flat, with two cats these ignored Guilly, we decided to let it stay in the bath room but it would squat and cover the floor with black and whitewash, it occurred that here we were never going to be able to buy fresh fish, even Billingsgate had it frozen. It was now recovering well. When I went to work I let it stay in front of the gas fire, it loved to lay on the raised tiles this with it beak a few inches from the wire shield. I wish I had taken a picture with the cats each side.

It would come to the room door to greet me for about ten days, coming home one evening I could not open the door it was behind it but dead.