Bike Theft - Bah. (from the front garden - in Melbourne Grove/East Dulwich Grove vicinity)

Otto

Just an FYI - someone stole my bicycle last night from the front garden. We are in Melbourne Grove/East Dulwich Grove vicinity...

It was well-concealed by various things (bins/hedges/etc) so a bit of a surprise.

Bah.

Not expecting it back - but - dark grey ridgeback with a baby seat mount - no seat attached - just the mount. White ridgeback lettering. Front wired basket - black. Probably on brick lane by now...

Someone tried to nick Mr Smiler's bike in the night last night, from our front yard (just off Lordship Lane). This morning the wheelie bins were out (right in front of the front door, presume in case anyone in the house heard and tried to come out) and the cover etc. was off, but bike still there. We keep it behind the wheelie bins with lots of locks etc. bolted onto the wall. They didn't make it past the locks this time, worried that they will come back.

Sorry to hear about your bike otto. It may be on the way to Brick Lane or on Gumtree but do report it to the police.

My son had his robbed three weeks ago and within 36 hours the police arrested someone riding it.

I had engraved our postcode under the axle so it was easily identifiable once they had pulled the person.

When I collected it from Peckham Police Station the cops were overjoyed that they could return one.

It was in a pile of about 15 other bikes non of which had been reported. The area was full until

recently I'd guess it would easily hold at least 50 or 60 bikes. They keep the unclaimed ones for a while then

send them for auction with the proceeds going to charity.

So if you love your bike make a note of the frame number, mark it with your postcode

might be a good idea to take a photo too and if it does get nicked tell the law.

check your household insurance, you may be covered.

I had a bike stolen last year and the police told me to try the insurance route.

the bike was covered and they sent me a beautiful new replacement within seven days.

I had no receipt or frame number either (I do now though)

I know it doesn't make the theft any better but at least it could save the price of a decent replacement

I reported mine. The police have advised against keeping bikes concealed behind bins in the front garden - locks make no difference (and we have a whopper of a lock cemented into the ground) according to their theft reports. Apparently bikes behind bins and hedges are an obvious thing. Now I know.

BAH. Again that bah erupts. Cluttered front hall at the moment...we have not only ordinary bikes but a tandem and a triple. Hard to walk in the house now...

And the door is barricaded.

chica1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's rather worrying that the crime rate seems to

> gradually been increasing around the SE22 area.

xxxxxx

And you're basing this on - what?

Crime statistics you have seen, or a few recent threads on a forum?

http://www.immobilise.com/about.html, although openly run by a private company, Recipero, is national, free and, it is claimed, used by all UK police forces. All kinds of valuables, not just bikes, can be registered on it. They say they have nearly 24 million members. I use it for everything, including my bike. It's reassuring to hear Otto say that the local police recommended it for his.

+1 on Immobilise..

They hook into the national property database and the tags for bikes are promoted by the local forces so I would like to think they may provide some help in recovery along with a small deterrent to the non hardened bike thieve.

Best theft solution I've found is to buy a fold up and take it with you everywhere!

• 3 weeks later...

Can you hang the bikes from the ceiling or wall? makes for a lot more room and a nice way to store the bikes indoors

and out of the way- may have to talk a landlord into securing hooks...

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> chica1 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It's rather worrying that the crime rate seems

> to

> > gradually been increasing around the SE22 area.

>

> xxxxxx

>

> And you're basing this on - what?

>

> Crime statistics you have seen, or a few recent

> threads on a forum?

*prints post out and has it framed*

Thanks BJL - still pondering our options - we would, but we have some pretty odd large bikes - a tandem, as well as a triple seater and regular bikes too. They were locked to an anchor in the cement outside with a motorcycle lock and covered with a tarp and behind the bins and a hedge...They are now an obstacle course inside the front hall and in the living room. We are slowly adjusting to our new look. Maybe we should just open up an Ed bicycle museum...my replacement bike certainly qualifies as it must be 6o years old...