Goodrich Road needs resurfacing

The state of Goodrich Road is appalling! I was hoping that, once Crystal Palace Road had got its makeover, it would be Goodrich's turn next. Does anyone know if there are plans to do this? And how does one go about making a fuss about it in the right circles?

Under the Lib Dems every year all 320km of Southwark roads are assessed at over 4,500 locations for structural integrity, wear etc. The ?4M annual budget was then spent based on these condition surveys. The criteria can change slightly year by year - we did ensure that the weighting was slightly higher if a desingated cycle route as bicycles suffer pot holes more than vehicles. I'd like to get this annual survey on-line so everyone can see where their road is compared to others.

Goodrich Road. If you look carefully you'll see repeated red lined corners on the road surface. They are showing the intended boundaries for extensive pot hole repairs.

Pot holes are a particular issue after a 1 in 30 year winter. When water seeps down through cracks the freeze thaw action breaks up the road surface (as water melts it expands to maximum volume at 4 degrees C). Due to this exceptional weather lawyers and accountants have said capital money can be used for revenue purposes of fixing pot holes. The Dulwich Community Chair person was 'reticent' to allow this to happen locally before the next community council in June. Yes, extremely annoying.

Hi,

We had been badgering Southwark for a year or two to have our road (Keston Rd) resurfaced. It was badly potholed its entire length and we thought merited complete resurfacing. Finally we got a campaign going and got all the residents to sign a petition. We then sent this with photographs and a dvd to the environmental people. At the same time we attended meetings of our Community Council(CC) to bleat at them. Luckily for us this happened to coincide with Southwark's deciding to give ?100,000 to the CC to be spent on roads and lighting at the CC'c discretion. We applied for a share of this and were eventually given ?50,000 for our road. We then got back to Southwark telling them the good news and asking them to do the whole road (the ?50k would apparently have been enough to do half the road). And two months back, the road was duly resurfaced!

So some action on the above lines would I think be where to start. I'm sure that your own CC will have been given similar money by Southwark - and that this will probably be an annual excercise. So make your number with them, and if possible get at least one of your councillors on your side - have them come and haver a good look at the road etc.

Good luck!

Bill Guest

24 Keston Rd

London SE15 4JB

Tel: 02077320398

Hi KestonKid,

Yes the Lib Dems devolved ?100,000 capital funding to each of the 8 community councils for road renewal.

However, we've been told by lawyers and accountancy officers that this year, due to the 1 in 30 year extreme winter, we can use this capital funding to repairs pot holes.

I'd hope that in East Dulwich we'd agree this diversion of funds this year to really get on top of this issue.

I have complained about the state of Rye Lane for two years and James is right about the cold weather drastically exacerbating the problem. I think residents need to keep reporting the worst areas and hopefully the repairs will happen where they are most needed. Again it comes down to available money. ?100,000 doesn't go far. Having said that I've seen three junctions locally changed and then rebuilt a year later and one a third time. That is waste and down to poor planning in the first place. I do question the necessity of some road improvements while glaringly obviously needed repairs don't get done.

How about Dog Kennel Hill, coming down the hill towards the station. It's sooooo dangerous to cycle down: so many big pot holes. You either go dangerously through them or swerve to avoid them, with traffic whizzing next to you.