Cycling from Dulwich

We've just bought bikes and I wondered if anyone can share any nice rides from the area with any hidden or less known shortcuts, cycle routes etc.

We'd love to take the bikes out for a day or half a day and imagine we could get quite far but I don't know where to start.

Any routes, ideas very much appreciated.

Thanks,Tim

East Dulwich is perfect for cycling. If you go to the Peckham leisure centre then cut down the old canal, then cycle across Burgess Park, that's a lovely quiet and easy route and not too far.

You can follow some quiet back streets and get all the way to Waterloo/Covent Garden without seeing much traffic if you like going further.

T'other day I cycled up to Crystal Palace and then down Anerly Hill all the way to the big roundabout and then to West Wickham - you are pretty quickly out into the country. Down to Limpsfield. Quick pint and then Westerham and back up past Biggin Hill airport and through Bromley. Its quite far but taking your time and stopping for lunch made it a great day out.

I agree! That is such a great cycling route. I used to cycle most of it to work and it was a higlight of my day. And there are some great places to stop, get off your bike and enjoy the view over a cold drink.

Cycle up to the old cemetery in Nunhead on the way. It's beautiful and so peaceful.

Have fun on your bike!

see above

thebestnameshavegone Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A ride up through Nunhead > Brockley > New Cross >

> Deptford > Greenwich > Woolwich > Thamesmead

> (check ot the Clockwork Orange locations) through

> the Woolwich foot tunnel > Thames Barrier > back

> through Canary Wharf > the pirate pubs of Shadwell

> is a cracking day out.

HI,

A good route is Sustrans route 21, it runs from Greenwich all the way to the south coast. You can access it at ladywell fields and a nice day trip is to go to South Norwood Country Park and back which takes about 4 hours, most of it off or on quiet roads.

Or at Ladywell fields you can turn south, go to greenwich and get on the Thames Path, and go down to the thames barrier and back.

You may also find it useful to check out www.cyclestreets.net which will work out a quiet route for you.

All journey planners are a bit eccentric so use with care, but can be a useful start.

paul