Man in Wheelchair

Zak

Has anyone else noticed the vulnerable looking bloke in the wheelchair who seems to have recently appeared around Lordship Lane?

I first saw him about a week ago, quite late at night, near Belair Park and then again in the rain near Cafe Nero.

He may well live somewhere locally and just like a bit of fresh air, but on the few occasions I've seen him I wouldn't have expected someone in his position to be out and about.

At the beginning of the year I used to see him outside King`s, it was really early in the morning and freezing, he looked like he had been there all night, then he disappeared. I was surprised to see him outside Cafe Nero.

I have seen him a lot lately. He was out near Nero around 10pm one night last week and i saw a man approach him to ask if he was okay or if needed anything. The man in the wheelchair looked terrified to have been approached and shook his head and moved off. I saw him again this morning near the station. He had carrier bags on his chair filled with rubbish which I think he takes out of the bins. He seems happy enough, strangely, although of course I have no idea.

Someone mentioned these details in relation to another person suspected of being homeless and maybe in need of help. Maybe if your worried you could try this route to. The details and numbers were posted in the lounge

Southwark (St Mungo's Street Population Outreach Team)

Tel: 020 7902 7941

Email: [email protected]

I saw him this morning outside Nero's, he had a cup of coffee, I asked him if he'd had something to eat today and he said he was fine. I got the feeling that he didn't really want bothered, so left him to it. He seemed OK, happy enough with his coffee and cigarette watching the traffic go by.

I saw him a few of weeks ago outside Sainsbury's when it was really cold

I asked him if he wanted anything and he said yes, people like me to leave him alone

Then he told me to f... off

So I think you're right. He doesn't want to be bothered...

DeborahC Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>> I asked him if he wanted anything and he said yes,

> people like me to leave him alone

> Then he told me to f... off

> So I think you're right. He doesn't want to be

> bothered...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:))

Just because he doesn't want to be bothered doesn't mean he shouldn't be bothered. A decent caring society will try and help him. He's unsightly, not in the aesthetic sense but in the sense that anyone decent seeing him sitting there might worry about his welfare. Those raising it on here shouldn't be attacked for raising the issue.

It's unlikely to be doing him any good just sitting outside Cafe Nero all day. I defy anyone to claim that is a good quality of life (I'm certainly not suggesting wnking over waitrose brochures is a fecent quality of life either). Putting St Mungo's on to him seems a capital idea, they are a very excellent charity and may be able to improve his lot

Jamma Wrote:

> Just because he doesn't want to be bothered

> doesn't mean he shouldn't be bothered.

sounds pretty arrogant to me

help him even if he doesn't want or think he needs help? because you know better what he needs than he does himself?

Jamma Wrote:

> Bang on pk. That's exactly what I'm saying.

as he's in a wheelchair couldn't you wheel him without his consent to somewhere that he doesn't want to go to get 'help' that he's doesn't want?

(just don't expect the ungrateful b****r to thank you)

I've reached a sort of personal compromise with him. I don't ask him how he's doing or whether he's ok or where he lives or if he needs anything. I just buy him sandwiches and a bit of cake whenever I see him around. Just lately he has said thanks once or twice. I'm hoping that's a sign that he doesn't feel threatened or harrassed.

Iv'e seen him about alot recently, yes as always at the side of cafe Nero. Have attempted to speak to him as I'm Irish myself. He told me to F**k of as I was an Irish scumbag. All very well if I didn't have my little two year old boy with me. He got very aggressive and usually fills the Cafe Nero staff with dread. He got very upset when someone helped him open the door. So the lesson leave him alone he dosent want any help and indeed there are I'm sure many reasons for it.

But fair play to the person who occasionally buys him a coffee and a bit of food, you have more patience than I.

You people. FFS.

There are blind people in Dulwich too, lets start threads about them, as they won't be able to read them*, so we can say whatever we like.

We know nothing about this chap, and yet there are assumptions galore on here! I saw him waiting to get in to HSBC last Friday (true), he didn't want help getting in, which could be for several reasons. I have no idea why he wanted to get in to the bank, but it could be because he had a bank account with his own money in it, and he doesn't need to be discussed on here like some sort of freak case study!

* Unless they have JAWS or similar on their computer