Thai Pavillion, Melbourne Grove to become?...

Wondered if anybody had any info about what, if anything is going to replace the Thai Pavillion restaurant which seems to have been closed down for over a year now. We are interested in a property adjacent and are trying to find out if there is any danger of the site being turned in a noisy bar with a late licence or some other residential nightmare. Or if anybody knows how you can find out from the council whether there are any restrictions on what the site can or can't be used for...

Any info gratefully received!

Go and ask at the planning office - they will be able to tell you. If it were to be turned into a bar then aplications for licences and for change of use would be required and you would have the right to oppose. Your views would be taken into consideration.

sema thai is awful, the decor before refurb was better and the food and service leave a lot to be desired - i think it's the only restaurant i would avoid on lordship lane! there is a great thai place in crystal palace (i forget the name) but wish there was one in dulwich somewhere. thai pavillion was a really nice place, great food even if the seats were a bit uncomfortable.

Neither Thai corner or Sema are anything special IMO, just run-of-the-mill suburban Thai restaurants. Something to soak up the beer, that tastes OK.

I really don't understand why restaurants settle for mediocrity when they could do so much better. The staff are Thai, they must know that the food they're serving isn't the real deal.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The staff are Thai, they must know that the food

> they're serving isn't the real deal.

xxxxxxxxx

That's what I can't understand either :-S

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the Crystal Palace Thai place is Tamnag

> Thai, if you mean the obne a couple of doors along

> form Joanna's.

Also..

..if you ask them for "Proper" Thai style spicing, they give it to you the real way

Which is nice

( and hot & tasty )

W**F

Tamnag Thai is really good, I agree. Liking the up-turned parasols on the ceiling too... though I hope they've been treated with fire retardant - some of those dishes they set fire to can burn quite fiercely... I almost want to pull out my hose when that happens.

Out of interest, does anyone know why Thai Pavillion closed down? It was popular (but not cheap) when I moved into this area in the early '90's. Thai Cafe opened ,I think mid, '90's and has been popular since but to my knowledge has not changed it's menu since.

I like Thai Cafe. You get what you pay for and BYO does help keep the price down. I wonder if it's popularity led to the demise of Thai Pavillion?

I have eaten at all the Thai restaurants in the area, by far the best is Lombok in Herne Hill, exceptional thai cuisine....cheap and cheerful BYO Thai Corner.

If your in SoHo Busabai Eathai on Wardour Street.

Stoke Newington....for Yum Yums.

I travelled Thailand, i promise you won't be dissapointed with my recommendations

:)-D