Sainsbury's development?

NickW

I heard a rumour that Sainsbury?s East Dulwich was applying for planning permission to build new flats on their site as well as re-developing the store. I haven't seen any yellow applications tied to lampposts but now there are diggers clearing trees in a cordoned off area of car park I am wondering if anyone knows what?s going on?

• 8 years later...

A new Sainsburys at 88 Dulwich Village is in progress. See Dulwich Society - no planning application submitted yet -

http://dulwichsociety.com/news/1225-sainsbury-s-comes-to-dulwich

Sainsburys presentation about their plans at:

https://turneyandburbage.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/dulwich-village_presentation-october-2015.pptx

What's missing is a cash point...

There is a cash point going into the Chemist in the other parade of shops. That should suffice.

Letter sent out by Sainsbury's it seems. I got it electronically from a neighbour and so do not know who received it rhough the post. I am not keen on the shop front design - somthing more sympathetic to a conservation area would be nice. Tone down the orange and the HUGE letters on the fascia I would say and do we really need a projecting illuminated sign too? Is there an illuminated projecting on Lordship Lane out of interest?

I guess we reply to this letter with our views, or perhaps it does go to a planning application It's not clear.

Text posted below but I can't post the design unfortunately. Too large.

Dear Resident

Proposed Sainsbury?s Local, 88 Dulwich Village

I am writing to outline our plans for a new Sainsbury?s Local at 88 Dulwich Village.

We?ve been looking for a suitable site in Dulwich Village for some time and were pleased when the

landlord approached us with an opportunity to open a new convenience shop (which is currently

occupied by Shepherds).

We have already met with local councillors and a number of residents but wanted to share further

information with yourself.

Our convenience stores provide a different offer to our supermarkets and are designed to meet the

everyday top up shopping needs of local residents who live within a short distance of the store.

They offer an excellent range of fresh fruit and vegetables, dairy products, bakery goods, drinks,

snacks and other convenience products. The shop will be open from 7am to 11pm and create 15 local

jobs. I am pleased to say that colleagues from Shepherds will be transferring to the new store.

We also recognise that the shop is in a conservation area and have brought forward a ?heritage?

inspired design which we believe is sympathetic to Dulwich Village and compliments existing retailers.

You can see the front elevation for our proposed store at the end of this letter.

The deliveries will be to the front of the store, as is currently the case. Our convenience stores

generally receive one to two deliveries a day. These are supplemented by our suppliers who deliver

goods such as bread, milk and newspapers daily.

Although delivery times are dependent upon routes and traffic, we will work with neighbours and the

local community to minimise disruption and inconvenience wherever possible.

Sainsbury?s Supermarkets Ltd

33 Holborn

London

EC1N 2HT

Telephone 020 7695 6000

www.sainsburys.co.uk

As a responsible retailer, we also seek to play an active role in the local community, which includes

promoting safer neighbourhoods. An example of this is our ?Think 25 Policy?, whereby all colleagues

are trained to check the age of anyone buying alcohol if they appear to be aged 25 or under.

Each of our stores support a nominated local charity every year and Sainsbury?s also runs a

nationwide Active Kids programme that helps invest in sporting equipment for schools and local

groups. Since 2005, Southwark has benefitted from ?600,000 of new equipment.

We will shortly be submitting the relevant planning applications to allow us to open the store. In the

meantime, should you have any questions regarding our plans, please do not hesitate to contact

myself on [email protected] or call 07900 709393.

Yours sincerely

David Mills

Head of Property Communications

62911_05.indd 1 17/11/2015 10:31