What is the latest on the new hospital in ED?

Can anyone throw any light on this? The old admin blocks for Dulwich Hospital on ED Grove were pulled down almost 4 years ago and still nothing in their place. Not that local residents are complaining - more sky, privacy etc. Would just be good to know what was going on. Did speak to the project manager months ago and he said there would be some progress made by the end of last year, but as far as I know there are no immediate plans in place to commence building. I'm guessing there's a funding/planning issue?

For 13 years it was proposed by the Labour government to knock down the existing hospital in stages and originally build a new community hospital. The financial mechanism for this was the LIFT co. Selling the site and getting the community hopsital as part of a scheme building lots of homes on around 2/3rds of the site. The plans then morphed into a proposed polyclinic.

It is easy to say its so near Kings College Hospital is Dulwich Hospital really needed. Kings has often been so full it has had to open wards at Lewisham Hospital to cope with the overflow of patients needing beds. Kings is an acute hospital but Dulwich Hospital provies intermediate beds. People who don't need high intesity medecine but can't yet cope going back home. So the costs per night per bed is very different. Providing intermediate beds at Kings has often caused problems - the care levels are reportedly not as high as Dulwich.

Anyway, during the election Tessa Jowell dragged the then health minister down for a photo shoot and both promised a new community hospital.

During all this time normal maintenace appears to have stopped such that the lifts failed and still no date when they'll be repaired which was the given reason for closing the intermediate hopsital beds.

However, the war memorial has recently been reinstated. Some roof maintenance appears to have happened and new sloped pedestrian entrance constructed.

I've asked to meet the head of the local NHS to talk about Dulwich Hospital and await a confirmed date. We really can't go on for another decade.

James,

At the Barry Area Residents Meeting on Tuesday - some of our committee spoke of the long waiting times in the Blood Test unit at Dulwich. One person arrived there at 7.30 am and did not get attended to until 10.30 am by which time all the seats in the unit were taken and people were spilling over into the x ray unit and corridors. Hubby went for his blood test and arrived at 6.45 am, was the 5th person there and came out at 8 am.The last time I was there, I waited over 3 hours for a fasting blood test. As a diabetic, this involves no food after 9 pm the night before and only water after midnight, so by the time I was seen as was feeling quite sick. I mentioned this to my practice nurse who advised that in future, I should make an appointment to see the health care assistant who attends my GP practice for one hour once a week purely to take blood as being without food for so long could reduce blood sugars to a dangerously low level in some people. With Kings cutting beds to reduce costs, and farming out diabetes management to GPs, it is anticipated that the Blood Test unit will become even more busy. There are only 3 staff members working in this unit and frequently only 2.

BARA are looking for other people's views on this service and will be writing to Southwark PCT/NHS to put over local residents concerns.

James - I know that Jonathan alsong with Stan Hardy and Ken Hoole are abreast with developments at Dulwich, so may also have other information. KCH is rather annoyed that the Intermediate Care Beds at Dulwich have been cut as it means that people have to stay longer on the wards for their rehabilitation. Given the news that hospitals will have responsibility of the health care of discharged patients for upto a month or face a fine, there may be additional pressure which could be put upon Southwark NHS to pull a few fingers out. However, many plans for Polyclinics have been scrapped by the Government.

Why go to Dulwich for a blood test?

Because we live closer, it's easier to get there, it costs less to get there, we can walk there ...

There's no excuse for offering a really poor service - but people start arriving earlier and earlier because there is such a queue - I don't think they are actually scheduled to start tests until 8.00, although sometimes when the flebotomists arrive earlier they start earlier. If people start arriving at 6.45 in the morning (75 minutes before the service is meant to start) it is not surprising queues build up. With all 3 cubicles working (often it's fewer) they should be able to handle (at about 4 minutes a session) 45 patients an hour. They probably do (but often they are down to 2 or even sometimes one cubicle).

There is an argument - as for many people this is something that they do before work - to start drawing blood at 7.00 rather than 8.00 - but that places quite a strain on the staff who have to do it. Would you want to start work at 7.00? (Actually, I used to, but that was my choice, as it gave me an hour to work quietly before meetings started)

Prior to my recent surgery at Kings, I had to attend for number of pre op test i.e. heart, blood etc.The nurse in the o/p section, whilst I was waiting to see my consultant, went down with the necessary paperwork to the Blood Test section and collected my 'number'. This was at 10.30 am, I saw my consultant (after an hour's wait) went to the heart clinic for tests, went to the Blood test - number cuurently calling was 60 before mine. Went for lunch, came back to blood tests, waited 45 mins before being seen - time 2.45 pm. 4 hours after I was checked in at Kings Blood Tests I was seen.

Dulwich is used by all the GPs in this part of the borough and GPs in Lambeth (Herne Hill/NOrwood area). At one time, if you went in around 11am you were usually seen within an hour. I believe the current hours are 7.30 - 3.30 pm but they change the hours every so often. When I worked in Dulwich Hospital - I used to nip in around 11.30 am and be out within 20 mins but that was 4-5 years ago. I now work at Kings - and you are expected to get blood tests done during your lunch breaks!!!

I went to Dulwich Hospital for blood tests and waited for about two minutes. It was late afternoon. They are open until 445 pm. At Kings I have waited an hour and a half.

Edited to say I realise it is a problem if you have fasted and need to go in the morning. That part isn't pleasant. I have gone early before and waited about 70-90 minutes.

I have to fast for my blood tests so I like to go as early as possible. Went on Friday arrived at 7.15 there were about 16 in front of me .They started at 7.30 and I was out by 8.Stopped off for coffee and toast and marmalade at the Blackbird bakery before going on to work .

I always go to Dulwich Hospital for blood tests and the wait is usually not more than 30 mins. I did notice the last time that the queue was going down the corridor and when I asked what was happening, was informed that people from Kings were being told to go to Dulwich, maybe because it was not so busy. Unfortunately, it seems EVERYONE now goes to Dulwich and the wait has become very long.

I have had to go for regular blood tests and in the last year or so have never waited less than an hour and a half to two hours when I've attended mid-morning.

Though the most aggravating part has been when I've been called in just before the end of Bargain Hunt and I never find out whether the blue team managed to win, lose or 'wipe its face'.

Still though, there are plainly not sufficient staff on duty, pleasant though they are.

The hospital should put a few more plebotoligers (if that's what they're called) on.

Have been for blood tests at Dulwich hospital a number of times in the last year, always fairly early in the morning morning. Have never waited less than an hour (even when arriving before they open at 7.30am), longest was three hours. Only two phlebotomists on shift each time and massive queues.

Maybe late afternoons is better.

Some blood tests (e.g. thrombophilia) have to be done up at Kings - once waited for ages in a queue at Dulwich to be told this when finally got to the front, grrr.

Information on opening times and which tests have to be done at Kings is here:

http://www.kch.nhs.uk/Services/csds/phlebotomy/

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think Dulwich Hospital is fab for blood tests

> and ECGs. Never had a problem waiting, staff

> charming and it's just a short stroll.

xxxxxxx

I had to wait nearly two hours for blood tests at Dulwich Hospital last week.

Also had to wait hours for an X-Ray in December.

ETA: I could have had the blood tests done at my GPs (DMC) but the receptionist said all the slots were fully booked for the whole week and she had never known it so busy for blood tests - I assume people have realised how long they will have to hang around if they go to Dulwich Hospital. I didn't want to wait a week so I went to the hospital even though I knew I would be there for ages.

• 3 months later...

James Barber

In mid June you stated your intention of meeting with the head of the local NHS to find out what is happening to the hospital. Can you please update us as to any progress?

I was there this morning and came back wondering why we have to put up with facilities such as these in the UK which are in such a desperate need of rebuilding, even after a long-term and high-spending Labour government!

Thanks

gh

When I was pregnant at the start of this year, I went to Dulwich Hospital for a blood test but when I worked out how many people were in front of me and how quickly people were being seen, I realised that it was going to be a wait of at least 2.5 to 3 hours. It was close to lunchtime and I didn't have any food with me so I had to leave. Never did have the blood test because after that it was too late in my pregnancy for a meaningful result. It sounds like some people have been lucky but that's not my experience.