Black stray cat in hayes Grove

hello all, for about a month now, at least there has been a stray, black cat in Hayes Grove. He (I assume it's a he) is lovely, very friendly and always says hello to passers by. A kind lady puts food down for him each evening, and were I allowed pets in the flat I'd have taken him in as he is so lovely.

Before I contact Celia Hammond for advice, I thought I'd put a note on here. it's likely there is an owner somewhere who is missing him, I think he's wandered over here from somewhere and doesn't know the way back. He did have a blue collar but that's been taken off him recently. he has a few white hairs on his head, so he's no young kitten.

If anyone has any information I would be grateful.

Many thanks

Ellwood.

Is he stray? I think I know the one, he has a squeaky meow and he's an absolute darling - he's been there for months. I always detour past there to say hello to him as he seems to like friendly attention. He seems to have a couple of favourite spots and can be found there at regular times - I always assumed he lived in one of the surrounding houses and was just a bit of an outdoors fellow...

I have recently seen a small black cat answering this description wandering around ED station. I live in Oglander Road and he looks very similar to an equally friendly cat often seen meandering around here looking lost. I recall that his "owner" lives in Ondine Road but unfortunately can't remember which house. Apparently he is well known around here for permanently getting lost. Know the feeling?

Yeah I've seen the one on ED station occasionally - seems to have a preference for the southwest-bound platform.

I'm not sure if it's the same one though? The wee fella in Hayes Grove seems to have a very definite stamping ground - he hangs out at the quiet end of Vale End, where it turns into Hayes Grove, or next to a tree near the main parking courtyard, and in between these two points. Never seems to venture beyond these boundaries, so I would be very surprised if he tried to cross the road to the station.

I think the friendly black cat seen at the station is one of the two that frequent the garden centre - often seen sleeping draped over the till or among the bonsai. I believe they live on Railway Rise but seem to prefer the garden centre & station to home. The Hayes Grove cat mentioned above is probably a different one.

On Derwent Grove there seems to be about 3 black cats and all of them are equally friendly and all you want to do is give them your supper, I think these cats are amazing! I also think that we all in part feed and look after them... so it's win win all round and not a mouse in sight!!

Back in the day when my cat was still young and mobile, he spent most of his time outdoors tarting up to passers by - he got loads of free dinners.

One of his friends got into conversation with me outside the house one day to ask when the kittens were due. I pointed out that she was looking at a he, that the pregnancy was in fact obesity due to the fact that everyone kept feeding him. He had another of his friends in such thrall, she used to drop strange love notes through the door.

Cats can be such tarts. They will take it wherever it's offered.

Completely agree, and I get a bit annoyed by people feeding other people's cats when they are clearly healthy and not lost.

One of our (well, technically 'our') cats has several homes, and half the street knows his name. When I've asked neighbours not to feed him as he has a home that misses him with plenty of food, I get responses like 'Oh, but my little girl really loves him' and 'Oh, we don't feed him - just give him some milk'. Next time I take him to the vet I'll be pro-rating the bill and distributing around the neighbourhood.

Well I've just spoken to the lady who used to feed him, she found out who the owner is (A Hayes Grove resident) and now doesn't feed him any longer. He's still as friendly as ever, I'm just glad to know he has an owner.

Has anyone read six dinner Sid? It's a children's picture book about a cat who gets fed by everyone on the street, and because they don't talk to each other no one knows who owns it. The vet figures it out in the end as he recognises Sid after several trips to the vets.

"Next time I take him to the vet I'll be pro-rating the bill and distributing around the neighbourhood."

That's exactly how I felt about things, especially as the loopy lady used to feed him stupid things like Thai Fish Soup, which I can't help but suspect may have contributed to his subsequent renal issues.