Dodgy girl in train stations

Yabo

Hello all,

In the past 6 months, I saw at least 3 times a woman hanging in and around train stations in our area, telling people that she's been beaten and robbed and in need for money to get back home. She's in her late twenties, I'd say, with dark hair and freckles on her face. Sometimes she looks as if she's got fresh bruises.

She's quite persistent (the first time I saw her she stood by me and when I opened my wallet and said "sorry, I'm out of change", she replied "well, you got notes"...).

Anyway, don't fall for her story, as it's a con, she's doing it very often, at least around Herne Hill and North Dulwich stations.

I'm not saying you shouldn't give if you feel like it, but just be aware that her story is complete rubbish.

yes - i used to live in HH and she was always around the centre there.

doesn't look like she's moved onto East Dulwich - apparently she was based around Tulse Hill for a while too.

She's very convincing and cleearly in need of help (the story is often one of domestic abuse), but as the above says, she's not asking for cash for the reasons she claims.

Hi

I will ask my staff to keep an eye out for this person. I will then be able to get the CCTV and report back to our head of security and the British Transport Police so this issue can be dealt with

Regards

Barry Jones

Area Station Manager

Metro East

eater81 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have encountered this despicable scum at both

> Brixton and Herne Hill stations. One of many that

> inhabit the squalid and rancid streets of this

> decaying and doomed city.

jeez, you're a right ray of sunshine aren't you?

I was given the old 'I've just got out of hospital and I'm trying to get home' story by a male, half way up the slope on the LB side of ED station today. I just said, "sorry. no" and moved on.

What really annoys me is that someday. someone will actually need my help and I won't be able to tell them from the shysters. Who knows? Maybe the guy today was genuine. But I doubt it.

Actually, while were at it, if someone approaches you in a train carriage saying that they need money to get into a hostel for the night then they are lying. I have worked in most of the hostels in Londond and not one I know of charges money up front for rough sleepers to get in!

It's not necessarily all the same girl, but it's a well-worn scam - they've just all got that heroin look.

Used to see a girl doing this scam back in Brixton @ 10 years ago: yelling 'I've been attacked', absolutely distraught, tears streaming, some blood (she gets a scab to open up.

Saw a similar looking woman near Brockley train station @ 4 years ago, same technique, then another woman same style, different colour, in my street @ 2 years ago.

The tears soon transform into a torrent of abuse when you make it clear you know her.

I don't know if she's still around but there used to be a young woman who would show you a ghastly looking swelling (about golf ball size) on the palm of one of her hands and ask for money so she could have it removed.

It was probably some type of prosthetic, and the obvious question that arises was why she didn't just see an NHS doctor about it,but I have seen people being fooled by it.

Yes i've seen her too, she also goes into central stations and begs for money with a sob story - once i saw her at London Bridge station and i sat and observed her from a distance, she goes to people her boyfriend beat her up ans she needs money to get home! - i actually waited till she had enough and followed her a short while afterwards , where sge met up with this scraggly looking drug addict 'boyfriend' .

No doubt sharing out any proceeds they received from well intentioned commuters!.

Like The Minkey I used to see her in Brixton. She used to claim that she'd been beaten up by a botfriend and the bruises on her face gave some credence to her story. I haven't seen her there in quite some time.

I once offered to accompany her to the police station so that she could file a complaint against the boyfriend but she declined.

What a rotten sad existence the poor woman has.

She was outside my house last week, near North Dulwich station. She slaimed her boyfriend had just attacked her and she needed the train fare home - very convincing, but I noticed that the 'injuries' weren't fresh. Very dramatic looking, but like someone above said, a scab had been picked at to try to make it look recent. It was during the day and she then moved on to mum's who were taking their kids home from school - must be very difficult for them to say no with their children around or explain it to their children.

I wonder if she approaches any of the older kids coming home from school to try to get money from them?

Shes also been hanging around Dulwich Village a lot recently,esp outside The Crown and Greyhound pub where she approached my boyfriend and myself with the story that her boyfriend had beaten her up and needed train fare to the hospital.She has scabs on her face that look as if they've been constantly picked! This lady is not a nice sight at all. Shes very persisant and abusive if she doesnt get what she wants.It must be horrible for the parents and children that she approaches.