Forum Sponsors

http://avalonkitchens.co.uk/
xxxx
Bespoke Windows Ltd

All Round Renovation

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
message"Charity" collection
Posted by Sonners 16 June, 2010 08:28

Just a word of warning to anyone who had a leaflet through their letterbox yesterday for a clothing collection this Thursday that this is a collection by a private company (RA & B Services Ltd) and not by a charity.

I nearly put a load of clothes out for them before I realised but would prefer that my donations went to a charity. Others may not mind but thought I'd flag the issue in case you do!

messageRe: "Charity" collection
Posted by Vik 16 June, 2010 09:50

One tip is to always look for the registered charity number on the bag (NOT to be confused with a registered COMPANY number!) If they don't have one, I chuck it.

Posted by Sonners 16 June, 2010 10:17

Quite right Vik, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Posted by Sue 16 June, 2010 11:30

There's loads of these leaflets that come round, mostly it seems from profit-making organisations hoping that they will be perceived as charities.

Better to take stuff directly to a charity shop, though more hassle of course.

Posted by ianr 16 June, 2010 12:04

>Better to take stuff directly to a charity shop

Which is what the council advises in this notice: [www.southwark.gov.uk].
When you check the collecting company's details, it's quite often been fairly recently set up.

RA & B Services Ltd's details are at [wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk].
I see they've unusually not stated the nature of their business.

Posted by elloriac 16 June, 2010 21:56

Just a note that we've had leaflets through our door that quoted a charity number, which turned out to be where I work but had nothing to do with my workplace - the company was just quoting our number without our authorisation. So if you want to be sure that you are giving to a particular charity, it's probably safest to contact them directly and find out if they are collecting in your area.

Posted by sweetgirl 17 June, 2010 19:11

damn! i put out some stuff for them today.....sad smiley

i better look properly next time!

Posted by edanna 18 June, 2010 09:38

Also I've heard that some of these companies come round early on days charities are collecting and take their bags. I've no personal experience of this but there's not much to stop them...

Posted by MrsMc 19 June, 2010 16:04

Think this was covered on Watchdog a while back, I've checked for charity reg no.s ever since - amazing how few are from genuine charities. While we're on the subject, thought I'd put a word in for the salvation army clothes collection box in Sainsbury's car park - not sure how long it's been there, only noticed it recently. V easy to park up and in support of a v good cause in my opinion. Used to give to mind but after the breastfeeding debacle less inclined to give there.

Posted by FatherJack 19 June, 2010 17:44

Another charity clothing collection leaflet to ignore is from Valewall Ltd reg no 5640823.

Apparently they will "carefully sort out your clothes and make them available in second hand shops
across third world countries" or you could read that as keep and sell on anything that's worth it and bin the rest!!

They also ask that you put your items in CLEAR view from the road WITH THIS LEAFLET.................

Posted by ianr 19 June, 2010 19:48

Valewall Ltd, Reg. No. 05640823 was dissolved in 2007 according to the Companies House record. [wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk]

Posted by FatherJack 19 June, 2010 21:32

Thank you Ian.......my suspicions were raised at the thought of them shipping second hand clothing from the UK to second hand
shops across third world countries..........

Posted by Sue 20 June, 2010 13:45

MrsMc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Used to give to mind but after the breastfeeding
> debacle less inclined to give there.

xxxxxxxx

What breastfeeding debacle? I give all my unwanted stuff to the Mind shop.

Posted by MrsMc 20 June, 2010 17:20

Sue - see the 'breast milk stinks' thread for the full story. Reading the later posts it's all got a bit out of hand, so maybe unwise to resurrect the debate. Just a personal view - no bone to pick with mind as a charity, but I'd rather give elsewhere in light of what happened.

Posted by ianr 20 June, 2010 17:33

>Sue - see the 'breast milk stinks' thread for the full story.

Eventually found it. [www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk]

Not having read it all, and it being old, I'm withdrawing my previous comment on it. I'll carry on using the Mind shop.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2010:06:20:20:03:46 by ianr.

Posted by MrsMc 20 June, 2010 19:34

Thanks ianr - don't know how to do a thread link.

Posted by Sue 21 June, 2010 10:52

Seems a bit harsh to judge/stop using a whole shop because of the actions of one assistant.

They're volunteers, anyway, aren't they?

Posted by Moos 21 June, 2010 13:35

Agreed, and the MIND organisation were very quick to apologise to the lady in question, who accepted the apology. She also said on the same thread 'I also want to say that I think Mind does some very good work and that I do not want publicity to take away from this,

Really don't want to rehash the debate but would like to set the record straight for anyone who didn't want to wade through pages of posts.

Posted by tallulah71 22 June, 2010 23:45

So what do they do with the clothes then? Because I work at charity shop and most of it is 'disposed' of....

Posted by Sue 23 June, 2010 00:17

tallulah71 Wrote:
> I work at charity shop and most of it is
> 'disposed' of....

xxxxxxx

What charity shop?

What do you mean, "disposed" of?

confused icon

Posted by sophiesofa 23 June, 2010 10:14

I think she means the crap unsellable stuff is binned

Posted by Loz 23 June, 2010 10:28

I give all my stuff to the lovely ladies running the St Christopher's shop on LL.

Posted by anna_r 23 June, 2010 11:41

When I used to volunteer at a charity shop the unsellable things (eg stained, with holes, very very outdated nylon homemade dresses etc) were bagged up and the shop got 1 a bag for it from a rag guy who came each week - not sure what he then did with it though.

Shame about the difficulties around knowing whether doorstep collectors are genuine charities - I have used them in the past but may switch back to dropping in to a shop. Does anyone know if the marie curie and help the aged bags are genuine? They have charity numbers.

Posted by Sue 23 June, 2010 11:42

sophiesofa Wrote:
> I think she means the crap unsellable stuff is
> binned

xxxxxx

But she said "most" of it????

Surely most of it isn't crap??

confused icon

Posted by sophiesofa 23 June, 2010 11:47

I don't know, but I think a lot of people view a charity shop as a good way to get rid of their crap and don't bother to check the condition of things. Just a guess though.

Posted by Dorothy 23 June, 2010 11:54

I make sure I only give genuinely nice stuff to the charity shops. It is not their job to sort through all my old tatt for me.

Clothing that is worn, has buttons missing, and underwear etc goes in the big collection banks in Sainsburys carpark or in one of these dubious door to door collection bags. They can sort through that lot if they like and try and find something useable. I imagine they sell the worst of it for rags.

Posted by marscapone 23 June, 2010 11:55

Where is a good place to get rid of "crap" clothes then? For instance things that might have a small stain or moth hole but otherwise fine and might be welcomed by homeless or others who can be given these things for free

Posted by tallulah71 23 June, 2010 12:17

When I said disposed of - and yes most of it is - I meant sent away to other shops around the country. You have to realise the demographic of where these shops are. I gave away an awful load of old crap (wearable crap..) to the street collection thingy, because I knew it would be sent away, or 'ragged' if I took it to the shop. Basically unless it's exceptional, or designer, it won't be put out on display. (Also, it's a tiny shop and there's no room!!)

Posted by Sue 23 June, 2010 12:26

tallulah71 Wrote:
> Basically unless it's exceptional, or designer, it
> won't be put out on display. (Also, it's a tiny
> shop and there's no room!!)

xxxxxxxx

That's not true, surely.

The Mind shop in ED sells stuff from places like Primark, and most of what they have on display is neither designer nor exceptional - in my opinion anyway smiling smiley

Posted by tallulah71 23 June, 2010 15:36

You will be surprised what people send in though. I've sorted through huge bags containing stained pants, bras, and old net curtains, odd shoes with no heels...you name it. Lots of stuff is great too. There is also a huge amount of BNWT unworn, expensive gear - clearly people around here have more money than sense.

As sofiasofa and Dorothy point out - charity is not a place for unwanted tatt. There are things called bins for that.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum