Stolen Motorhome/campervan

Our Mercedes 207D AutoTrail Cherokee motorhome was stolen Wednesday 16 June or Thursday 17 June. Registration: F954 EYA.

It was parked on Borland Road/Hichisson Road, Nunhead.

It is large, white with blue horizontal stripes.

I'm sure it is long gone, but maybe someone might have seen it en route to its new home ? it is hard to miss ? and perhaps it was being towed?

Judging by the rash of campers reported stolen on this forum, you'd guess this is the work of a professional gang.

Strangely the police don't have a record of any campervans stolen in this area. Also the police didn't want a picture and only took details of the vehicle when pushed? all of which doesn't inspire confidence.

If it is found, we have to pay the police ?150 to ?300 to have it taken to a local pound? so at least there's a small incentive for them (apart from being paid out of our taxes, of course).

Ho hum, I suppose it is just a campervan.

Thanks Polly.

Do you have any advice apart from posting here and sticking up a few posters?

I assumed all stolen vans were reported to the police for insurance reasons, if nothing else.

It would be helpful if the police could offer some security advice to campervan owners. I keep wondering what else we could have done, bar the crook lock on the steering wheel and disconnecting all the batteries. If the criminals are towing vans then maybe a wheel clamp might have been a good idea.

Thanks for the tips.

Attending the Police Ward Panel sounds a particularly good idea.

Also will think harder about security next time round.. Previously I thought camper-thieves went for antique VWs... live and learn.

Where and when is the next meeting, I have points to raise.

Do you know who attends from officialdom and what the normal agenda is ?

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That's so sad and awful, too. I am sorry none of

> your neighbours noticed anything suspicious! Come

> along to the next Police Ward Panel meeting and

> ask them what they are doing about it. In person.

Hi Andy

I don't know whether you've seen this thread:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,399590

There are some websites suggested which might be helpful in spreading the word.

We too disconnected the battery and had a lock on the steering wheel. Not to mention that the van was stolen during one of those snowed-in weekends back in Feb this year. They towed it away we think, judging by the tracks in the snow. They will stop at nothing.

Really sorry to hear about this. Someone tried to steal our beloved van from Athenlay Road in Nunhead a few months ago so I (kind of) know how you feel. Have you thought about keeping an eye on Gumtree? I know that a few stolen campers have turned up there. Really hope you are reunited!

Zoe & Pete

The safer neighbourhood team comprises your local police, police community support officers (who I can vouch are really dedicated and good) and community wardens, and we are all invited to meetings which occur every two or three months. My one meets at the Harris Girls Sports Academy. Members of Southwark council ASBO units sometimes attend, and local councillor/s.

The most annoying thing is when people with a problem come along, talk to the meeting about the problem, it gets sorted, and then they never return. I am thinking in particular of the people who are on committee of nearby allotments which were being vandalised. We in the group each meeting are asked our opinions on which three areas the police should target and at that meeting it was agreed they target the allotment as one of the three. Sure enough, the villains were caught. Not seen anything of the people since. Ask not what your local police ward panel can do for you, etc!

Anyway, I always start a thread in the WHAT'S ON section (am only allowed to put it on in there, although to my mind it's not like a gig, or comedy show; it's a meeting of use to us all and I would not think to look for it in there, but there you go!) - saying when the next meeting is going to be. If you want to find out for yourselves email your local safer neighbour team, you will find them by doing a bit of work and going into the police websites.

They used to be taken to Ireland at one point.

I had mine stolen many years ago and it was quite distressing, I was in the process of refurbishing the inside by making new curtains, cushions etc. I was most annoyed that they even stole my porta potti.

Is this the big white motorhome that is sometimes parked on Limesford Road?

Nunheadbelle

cate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I saw a programme once that showed that a lot of

> caravans/campervans ended up in Spain.

Thanks everybody.

It's not the motorhome in Limesford Road ? this one is older and not as glam?. And I would have thought a less attractive proposition to thieves, but clearly not.

I'd noted that Glastonbury is pretty close? but suspect it's gone further afield.