Green Parakeets in East Dulwich

I had a pleasant surprise walking home from work the other day, when i heard and saw, noisy squawking green parrot-like birds flying overhead in that lovely little park near Sainsburys in Dog Kennel Hill. They were gorgeous to look at, bright emerald green colour with a rose-red beak and they landed in one of the trees.

I was talking to a neighbour and she told me they were ring necked green Parakeets and are now breeding in flocks around the suburbs, including Dulwich and Peckham Rye Parks.

Has anyone else seen them in their gardens or area?

genwilliams Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I haven't seen any yet, though I keep looking out

> for them. Brilliant birds.

xxxxxx

Go to either Peckham Rye park or the woods up by the Harvester and you'll be very unlucky not to see at least one. You'll certainly hear them!

Though they're more easy to spot when the trees don't have leaves on :)

The ring necked parakeets are a pest which are not going to go away anytime soon, they attack the indigenous bird population are fast flyers and have hideously screeching calls.

They have become quite prolific breeders and have colonised much of this island in only a few years.

The fines for introducing pests of any variety of creature, are far too lenient in my opinion.

Birmingham town centre has masses of starlings which are a pest, but these parakeets could take over many towns in the future.

I haven't observed them attacking the other birds in my garden, though they will have a peck at anything trying to share a feeder, which is what they do to each other. When in competition for the fat feeder in the winter, the woodpecker soon sees them off.

They can be a bit screechy when alarmed or when flying overhead but they also make quite nice burbling noises when they're just hanging out in calm mode.

This is just my observation of course.

Must say I quite enjoy them, they are so bright and have a lot of 'character' - would rather see them than starlings or pigeons it has to be said.

But, it is worrying to think they may be affecting some of our other indigenous species, and I know they are causing fruit farmers all kinds of problems. There was an interesting documentary about them on BBC2 a few months ago, explaining the variuos theories behind how they came to be loose in the UK, though no one knows for sure of course.

Molly

How long does a species have to be in the country to be considered native? Humans were once and invasive species to the land. Starlings in birmingham are a beauty to behold, considering their populations are dwindling in other parts of the country. Green parakeets aren't going to go away over night, and yes they were a 'released' species. but you know what, that's part and parcel of the way things are. Let them be, they are beautiful to behold, and who are we to say what can and can not live in britain.

Ellwood Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How long does a species have to be in the country

> to be considered native? Humans were once and

> invasive species to the land. Starlings in

> birmingham are a beauty to behold, considering

> their populations are dwindling in other parts of

> the country. Green parakeets aren't going to go

> away over night, and yes they were a 'released'

> species. but you know what, that's part and parcel

> of the way things are. Let them be, they are

> beautiful to behold, and who are we to say what

> can and can not live in britain.

Agreed I love them(tu)

Ellwood wrote:- yes they were a 'released' species.

So were mink,

and rhododendron which has become a plague for Scotland,

Japanese Knot Weed...............

Grey squirrels.

American Pitbull terriers.

If I had a magic wand I would remove them all, and some of their owners.

I had no ides that Rhododendrons were considered a plague in Scotland! - they are so majestic and the blooms are wonderful, i can understand Knotweed, as that just takes over a garden once established.

I know they are starting to cull Grey Squirrels as i saw it on the news a little while back.

Its any wonder how these exotic species survive our harsh winter climate.