What's happened to the Blue Mountain terrace?

Went in today and was surprised that there were no tables and chairs outside. Apparently, someone has complained about the "noise". Seems a bit odd after the cafe has been doing business for 20 years, maybe someone new moving in?

Does anyone know anything?

Quite bizarre as BM has been there for ever (at least 12 yrs in my memory). How long have the neighbours been there? If they have lived there a long time then why did't they complain before and if they have recently moved in...they knew there was a cafe there that operated on Sundays.

It used to be the only place (except when Grace and Favour served food) to get a nice sandwich, cake or classy fry up when I was looking to buy here. That was in 1996. The whole layout was different as well. It had an upstairs and cute little rooms downstairs. And they served Konditor and Cooke cakes.

You had sat, forgotten, in the upstairs Chinese room. A 60 minute wait for your scrambled eggs. Your girlfriend had wanted to go to the greasy spoon but you had said, "What's the point of moving here if we're going to eat in the same places as we could back home?" You had noticed her wince as you attempted to discuss the origins of the coffee beans they are grinding. She had ordered "just ordinary" tea.

A text arrives. "Have you told your mum yet? If you don't, I will. She deserves to know."

You're going to change your number, you decide. The espresso machine, brought home in tumescent excitement on a sunny morning, spits out its disgust.

I don't know the facts of course, and merely speculate (but then, so do many others in other threads..). But I strongly suspect the person/people who raised these objections have been where they are since before Blue Mountain opened.

I think some are underestimating quite how busy the cafe is. There are often people in there from 6am til gone 11pm and I can understand why someone would want some peace on Sundays! Don't forget that people sit outside both at the front and at the rear of the cafe so you get noise from both sides of the house, 7 days a week.

I wonder if anything will come of it?

They do serve alcohol, yeah. I think the opening hours are normally 9-6, but they're open til 10 from Tuesdays to Saturdays. There's always someone there super early (earliest I've clocked is 5.45am!) I'm presuming getting things ready for the day, and then obviously clearing up at the end of the night too. It used to be that late night opening was from Wednesdays to Saturdays, so maybe that's one of the issues for the complaint.

I quite like the hubhub from the cafe - the only issue I've had was with someone scraping chairs around outside at 6.30am one day!

Thanks for responding, Primadonut. I now realise how much the cafe must affect residents lives. I really hope a sensible discussion can happen with local residents and BM as it would be sad to see such a local institution be overtly affected in the current climate. Sadly, I am with other posters about the service but I suppose I have always accepted it as part of its quirk...and the food it always worth it!

Blue Mountain Cafe remains the only cafe/restaurant/hostelry I have complained about service (and then walked out of) in ED in 14 glorious years here. I have been boycotting since that incident and can't say I feel any loss in my life.

Blue Mountain have been aware of these restrictions for at least 8 years but have ignored them. I know as I lived next door to them and complained at the time that they were not observing their licence. Great to hear that the Council is finally doing something!

eccentric Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't leave us like that Dorothy, do tell...

xxxxxx

Do a search on Blue Mountain and you will find several posts (threads?) about poor service.

I don't go there any more either, for the same reason.