Vandalism of new playground at goose green

Have just driven past the new playground to see some youth (probably about 11 or 12) sitting on the brand new climbing frame happily chipping away at the wood with some sharp object and splintering it. I wound down my window and shouted at him to stop but he didnt seem too bothered.

Not sure what one can do about this but i just had to get it off my chest as it really pissed me off. The playground isnt even open yet and already its being vandalised. Grrrr.

This isn't the first time, I live opposite and there have been 3 or 4 occasions now where kids have decided to try out the new equipment in a rough and ready fashion, shouting at these dregs of society does very little, if they were decent kids they wouldn't be in there at the first place! I also see we now have a lovely new edition of a roadworks 'lane closing' sign now.

The builders don't help themselves though, they've gated off about a fifth of what needed to be closed to keep people out, and haven't even been there in weeks!

Bit harsh!

Not really, so you think kids trespassing and vandalising something OUR Council Tax is paying for is a decent thing to do?

Or it's OK to ruin something that I have to look at from my home everyday?

I don't, I think it's the act of a little **** who has not been taught the difference between right and wrong or the value of things, and is the start of someone who doesn't grow up in to a very nice person.

My opinion, my words.

Townleygreen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well said Steve, totally agree. These kids should

> have been taught what is right and wrong by their

> parents.

As a kid growing up in the less than salubrious environment of Waterloo Road, there was not much in the way of actual play facilities around.

So we used to dodge into local building sites, other people's estates, (Oh the joy of Knock Down Ginger!).

And what we had as a cunning plan was not to consult our parents before embarking on our adventures.

We'd been pretty well told by our parents, not to mention teachers, nuns and priests what we shouldn't do.

While we never had a meeting to include a vote on whether to go pro or con with the establishment, there was something about doing what we knew to be wrong that felt so right. Visceral or something you might call it.

Anyway kids entering an unfinished playground ain't the worst thing I've heard lately.

Allow me to offer you all a grip.

Come on there's loads, we can all get one each.

First they rip up our treasured playgrounds, then they'll be randomly exposing their genitalia, mugging our kids and before we know it they'll be junkies scamming you for money to get their 'bus tickets'.... Bloomin' dregs of society...

.....*Grabs a pitchfork*.....

...We'll teach them right and wrong by shouting at them from the safe interiors of our cars! Yeah! That'll teach 'em what their parents didn't!

ImpetuousVrouw Wrote:

> Or even better, from the safe interiors of our

> laptops!

But what if they steal our laptops?

WHAT IF?!

(Well, them we just tell them we're with the San Pellegrino man dem. That should sort them out.)

Sorry to challenge you chuck but wasn't what you witnessed a young workman snagging the build of what has been an incredibly long winded construction process?

Maybe I'm wrong and the young fella you saw was an authentic, north of the divide, authentic Belenden village, SE15 reprobate but maybe, just maybe the the folks building the stunning wooden adventure playground complex thingy simply ran out of dosh (because if Dave Cameroon et al) a few weeks back and so they had to improvise with local talent.

Also, I encourage you to reflect on how likely your shouting from a passing car is to effect any real change in the pre-adult's carry on.

HonaloochieB:

So what you're saying is you think its OK to vandalise because when you were a kid you did the same thing?!

And to the rest that think this is funny with the perrier massive comments?

What you're all basically saying is you kinda don't really care about the neighbourhood you live in? There's a line somewhere but where that lays is in direct relation to how it effects you rather than the community at large right?

That's the problem with you f*cking liberal types, everyone should be more accepting until someone's doing something to your property or way of life!

So to the poor family, opposite Goose Green who were burgled last week, "Come on now what are you moaning about, we all went somewhere we shouldn't have when we were kids, don't you remember? What do you want do hang, draw and quarter them!?!??!"

Whilst we may be f'in liberals, Mr Bailey, I sincerely doubt you actually suppose we laud vandalism and theft - I think you'd find that assumption on your part is laughably absurd. Burglary and Vandalism are two different kettles of fish, so if you are going to input and then proceed to insult people, then I suggest you decide exactly what it is you wish to moan about.

I think Honaloochie's point suggesting 'that's what we all did as kids', isn't to absent them from their responsibility but merely to remind us all that minor 'vandalism', if you will, is what naughty 11 year old children do and, as such, their being morally wrong or right has absolutely no bearing on whether they like to chip away at the wood of a playground. Don't you think that such a condemnation would be shockingly harsh?! I do so, go ahead, hang me in your liberal noose if it pleases you!

Just chill out; I am a tax payer too and yes I do care about my neighbourhood but I am really not that riled by seeing kids mildly misbehaving!!

stevebailey Wrote:

> HonaloochieB:

>

> So what you're saying is you think its OK to

> vandalise because when you were a kid you did the

> same thing?!

> And to the rest that think this is funny with the

> perrier massive comments?

>

> What you're all basically saying is you kinda

> don't really care about the neighbourhood you live

> in? There's a line somewhere but where that lays

> is in direct relation to how it effects you rather

> than the community at large right?

>

> That's the problem with you @#$%& liberal types,

> everyone should be more accepting until someone's

> doing something to your property or way of life!

>

> So to the poor family, opposite Goose Green who

> were burgled last week, "Come on now what are you

> moaning about, we all went somewhere we shouldn't

> have when we were kids, don't you remember? What

> do you want do hang, draw and quarter them!?!??!"

Not what I said at all Steve, I said it wasn't the worst thing I'd heard lately and to draw a parrallel between it and a burglary in the vicinity is plain daft.

I also made the point that it was wrong and we knew it.

I've still got plenty of grips in my bag, you can get one any time you like.

While I don't suppose you praise vandalism or theft, it would seem certain peoples lines or acceptance are obviously a LOT further to the horizon than mine.

I'm sure you'd all be shouting from the rooftops should said playground be burnt to the ground!! Correct me if I'm wrong but surely that would fall under the category of vandalism? Or still sit comfortably in the 'Who's a naughty boy' one?

Or perhaps if someone was to be seen 'chipping away' at you're front door, or your garden fence, or perhaps your car, you'd would simply tut and reminisce on how jovial your childhood was?!?

It's tolerance of minor acts that make the slightly more offensive tolerable over time, and so on and so on.......

In my opinion, tis a very poor attitude indeed!

I just presume that those questions are rhetorical because they are so ridiculous. Just because someone has greater tolerance to naughty behaviour does not mean they do not know the difference between burning the whole thing to the ground and chipping away at one post of a very big wooden jungle gym. Or even still, the difference between chipping away at some communal piece of wood and chipping away at someone else's car.

"It's tolerance of minor acts that make the slightly more offensive tolerable over time, and so on and so on....... "

Yeah, you're right - first the 'liberal' forumers condone minor vandalism and soon we'll be excusing rape and murder, right?

On the subject of regressing, I think it's angry people who take such un-proportionately gross offence at such unbelievably minor acts and are so willing to cast such strong judgements on others that make society more tricky to live in, not the little blighters who will undoubtedly grow out of such trivial wrong-doing.

Guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Especially as my suggestion that someone who would vandalise a (communal is it? funny I thought it was off limits to all but the builders) playground, and someone's private property seems too ridiculous for words.

You're right, things like that NEVER happen never ever ever ever ever...

Do I need my passport to travel to your utopia or is it within Zone 2.

Thanks

Agree to disagree indeed. OK it's not communal yet but when the builders learn how to nail wood together on a more efficient time scale, it will be. And, picture this, when it will is finished hundreds of kids every day will vandalise it in some minor way until the council have to build a new one in ten years or so. My, what a tortured soul you will be then as self-appointed protector of the wooden jungle gym....

And no, you don't need a passport OR a bus ticket to travel to utopia, just a positive mode of thinking teamed with a progressive and more tolerant attitude, which will clearly be more considerably more difficult for you to acquire than either of the former two.

Hahahaha yep lets progress the vandalism, hey we can maybe even turn it into an Art Form, oh wait that's graffiti!

I am amazed how I am an intolerant and regressive person because I don't agree that it is OK to do the above......and we wonder where it all went wrong!

Anyway, enough now, I have to get my Camouflage Super Hero costume dry cleaned for more nightly patrols!

perhaps in the meantime you could find some tolerance for other people's opinions missus??

Enjoy your day.

So a bloke mentions vandalism of local childrens playground apparatus which is not yet fully constructed.

And people complain about:

- well that's not a REALLY serious issue/crime, not worthy of mention on the forum

- the WAY that he mentions the vandalism

and they insult him.

Pretty weird.