Attempted mugging in Whateley Road

I don't wish to spread panic but our neighbour told my wife that last night her daughter was stopped at knifepoint.The girl is 16 and one of the two attackers held the knife to her throat/neck. They wanted her phone. It seems she got rid of them simply by saying her boyfriend is a member of a particular 'gang' in Croydon. When they heard this they scarpered. This occured at about 10 pm. Did anyone notice anything? What is it about gang culture that would cause this reaction? She seemed easy prey for two males. I don't recall previous cases of muggings in the area involving the use of knives, but I may be wrong.

My daughter was stopped further up the road in Underhill (past Barry road I think) about 6 months ago - luckily her phone is so C**p (bound up with gaffer tape) that the mugger gave it back and urged her to 'get her dad to buy her a new one'!. I don't know if the attacker had a knife (it was a lone attacker) but I'm afraid mugging for phones is a commonplace. So is the use of knives - it's a shame these two things seem to have coalesced here. I assume that the police etc. have been informed? [My daughter only told me about her attack weeks afterwards, and seemed sufficently unable to provide any descriptions etc. that a report was by then otiose, she couldn't even remember what date or even day of the week it happened!]

Narnia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It seems she

> got rid of them simply by saying her boyfriend is

> a member of a particular 'gang' in Croydon.

>

What was the name of the gang? Could be a useful back-up if faced with a similar situation.

james. Wrote:

> Narnia Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It seems she

> > got rid of them simply by saying her boyfriend

> is

> > a member of a particular 'gang' in Croydon.

> >

> What was the name of the gang? Could be a useful

> back-up if faced with a similar situation.

No idea but I did wonder if this backing off was due to 'respect' or just fear! I think you would need to be dark skinned James for it to wash though.

iaineasy Wrote:

> Sounds like guff. I think the daughter's lieing

> to get attention. No one desparate to put a knife

> to your throat gives a *&^% about someone in

> Croydon.

xxxxxx

I don't think you should accuse somebody of lying - particularly publicly - unless you have pretty good proof.

iaineasy Wrote:

> Croydon.

Well I shall keep you informed. Thusfar I understand she has a mark where the knife was held. She would appear to lack nothing materially and physically is quite beautiful. I have no idea what's between her ears. However my question about gangs was because I wondered if the attack was abandoned due to a certain culture that exists between gangs. S'pose you wont be giving any hugs then?

I realise that it worked in this case, but to be honest I wouldn't encourage saying someone you are connected with (or indeed saying that you are) a gang to two muggers. If they happened to be gang members of a rival gang (which wouldn't be completely unlikely) then you may land yourself in much hotter water as they may beat the shit out of you as they see you as a rival, whereas beforehand you might have just lost your phone

iaineasy Wrote:

> Croydon.

And lo, the voice of the street has spoken.

*hugs*

Just b/c she has a mark on her neck does not mean the rest of her story checks out true on all accounts. I would be suspicious that there is more to the story than she is telling. In fact, with teens there is almost always more to the story than what they tell their parents! xx

there was a woman stabbed on the lordship lane end of overhill road yesterday. It was in the evening. I have heard she is home now recovering. Is there an increase in stabbings in our area now or our we just more aware?

I don't think the use of a knife is being question

Its whether the gang ran away because of mention of a Croydon gang or for some other reason (losing their nerve). As a youngster I never told adults the whole truth (just a subset of it).

I thought the aggression was between gangs so mentioning you're a member of a rival gang could make things much worse in many cases.

Narnia Wrote:

> Well it does appear far fetched I'll admit. The

> only possible motive for not telling the truth

> that I can think of is that the mark was caused by

> something/someone else.