Orange mobile reception in SE22: Problems??

Anyone having problems with Orange? My service has been awful all day and I have a sneaky suspicion it is down to upgrading my iPhone to os 4.0 as it seems to have coincided. However, thought I best check!!

Yes,

Have recently got the iphone and am having terrible trouble with the orange reception. Was with orange before and using a blackberry and had no problems whatsoever. At my wits end - driving me crazy that paid so much for the poxy phone and the monthly rate and every other day can't make calls out or get calls coming in. Not sure what to do really - suppose ring orange and complain.

I've had almost no signal on Orange (have an older iphone) since yesterday evening. I went up to Kings earlier and a lot of messages came through then but back home (near Sainsbury's) and still getting the no service message. Deeply annoying!

I've complained to them about this actually. I'm on Orange and have had trouble for the last two months with reception around Copleston Road (SE15). I've not got an iPhone, just an HTC thingy, and if they can't improve the reception soon I will switch providers.

This is driving me nuts!! It has only started for me yesterday. This morning no signal again until I got on the train to LB and it came back. As soon I got home again at 2ish today it went again! It has just come back for a min...now searching again. About to call Orange. Grrrr.

i've been in ED all day and can't make any calls on my iphone, coverage with orange has been dodgy for a couple of weeks and now i'm getting nothing at all. really annoying. Sally81 pls let me know if you have any enjoy with orange. Thx

Ok..just got off the phone to Orange. Ratty, did they tell you they are not reporting any problems??

I have just been told there are TEN masts down affecting se15, se22 and surrounding areas and this is all due to upgrades and work going on because of Orange's merge with T Mobile. It doesn't sound like all of these masts are expected to be up and running again until at least July 17....but the operator wasn't certain. She basically said there is nothing much that can be done and the report will be logged. I am so annoyed because I pretty much have no phone when out and about now at the moment. We'll all be expected to pay our line rental as normal though I'm sure (although when I asked about this she said some of it may be credited back when they tot up the mins used over the dodgy period - but we'll see.)

The problem sounds sufficiently localised that it may well be either a hardware problem on the local cell, or possibly a software drop causing conflicts - disabling 3G settings to make it work could be either.

It will be interesting to hear what the resolution of this is, and what the carrier admits to. As many people seem to be able to use their systems outside ED it clearly isn't any fundamental conflict between the iphone operating system and the carrier software, but if the cell operating system hasn't, e.g. been properly updated, the problem could reside there. Or it could be a simple hardware failure in the ED serving cell.

Edited to say - written before I saw the post now appearing as previous - that explains a lot.

Thanks Sally81 - that's annoying news but v helpful and interesting to know.

I've disabled 3G and the signal has come back intermittently.

I called Orange today but after listening to "Because of the success of the IPhone 4 there might be a slight delay in answering your call" for 7 minutes I gave up & emailed them - doubt I'll get a response but in my frustration I felt better. If you want to complain link is here: http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/contacting_us/paym

Wish I'd read this before calling Orange! Assumed it was a prob with my phone. The lady I spoke to said three masts were affected, two of which should be fixed by the end of today and the third by the 12th.